The Time Capsule

Chapter Fourteen

James

“Where are you going so late?” I ask Greg as I watch him pick random things, such as a blanket, up from around the room.

“Nowhere in particular.”

I laugh, “So Selena knew where Amber was?”

“yup. Or has a pretty good idea.”

“the tree house?”

He turns and glares at me, “you knew and didn’t tell me?”

“ever heard to fight for what you want? I wasn’t just going to give you the answer.”

Greg finishes packing the backpack and heads out the door with a simple ‘whatever’ directed my way.

I pull out another book I needed to read for work. I know Amber said no work, but I’m from New York City. We never stop working. And since my job is to read…well, she can’t exactly tell me not to do that.

There was a quiet knock on my door around one and then it opened. Selena walked in and just simply plopped down on the end of the bed. “Amber will freak if she finds you doing work.”

“a guy can’t read?” I ask innocently.

“not one who is a publisher.” I smile and set the book aside. “you’re lucky though, that you can still work. I don’t know what to do with my time off. There are no cases for me to cover until I get back.”

Her complaint reminds me of earlier this evening and I can’t help but wonder if she heard my response. I doubt it. She didn’t hear the one this morning so there’s no reason she’d be able to hear the one tonight.

“would you like to read this book?” I ask, holding it up to her. She looks at the manuscript and her face scrunches up in disgust, “what’s wrong?”

“how can read something in such a weird format. I mean, a book is normal, but that’s just big and long and-” She stops herself before finishing the sentence and I just laugh. “my point is that I can’t imagining having to read book after book like that.”

I shrug, “it’s just like you have to read all those files for court. Plus, these are supposed to be the best of the best. The book goes through a lot of people before it gets to me.”

“and what’s your job mr. big shot?”

“recommending to the head-guy whether we should publish or not.”

“sounds kind of pointless for a job. Hey, want to play a card game?”

“at one in the morning?”

“well I’m bored and you’re not doing anything important. So why not? It’s not like Amber and Greg are actually going to be coming back tonight.”

“you’re right about that.” I reach into the bedside draw where I knew a deck of cards would be. “so, what game?”

I already knew the answer to this. We had one game we ever played, and that was War. Which she tells me and I split the deck in two.

Ten minutes later she already had the majority of my cards. “aw, is James losing?” she teases and I just stick my tongue out at her. “real mature.”

“you’re the one teasing like a five year old.” I point out, putting down another card.

After a while of playing, she started to yawn. “I’m tired.” We were both laying on our stomachs, facing each other. Probably not the best position to be in if we wanted to stay awake.

I chuckle, “I’ve noticed. Want to call it quits?” By this time it was back to being about tied for a game. Though this game can go on for hours, so it wasn’t a surprise it was tied.

“no, no. I’m going to win this.”

“Then how about we just finish tomorrow? We can play in the car even.”

“the ten minute drive to your house?”

“okay, at my house then. You need your sleep Selena.”

It was quiet for a moment and at first I thought she had fallen asleep. Though when I look up at her she’s just staring at me like she’s trying to figure something out. “What’s my favorite color James?”

“It’s the bright blue color of the sky in the summer, the orange of the leaves in fall, the dark-almost black- clouds during winter, and the lush green grass once spring rolls around.” I answer her. It’s something, among other things, that I would always remember about Selena.

She looks like she’s amazed I remember and I just smile back, “what else do you remember?” she asks, curious now.

“every night, no matter the season, you’d go out and look up at the stars because Calvin and Hobbes told you to. It’s also what you would consider one of the most beautiful sights out there. Cleaning relaxes you, it doesn’t matter what type, just cleaning in general. You always let people know what’s on your mind, no matter how inappropriate that might be. Which is probably why you’re such an amazing lawyer. Your favorite book is Frankenstein, and you always wanted to stay in an igloo in Greenland. You-” She stops me there.

"What’s the name of the last girl you had sex with?”

“well…” I try to come up with the name, knowing it had started with a C.

Selena stands up to leave, “and that right there is why I don’t trust you James. You were right when talking to Andrew at dinner, flowers won’t do squat.” The door closes behind her before I can even call out her name.

I slam my head against the headboard and let out an aggravated sigh. Why does she have to be so difficult all the time? It’s like she forces herself to ignore the fact that I’m trying here. Maybe that means it really is too late.

My mom, though I hate her for leaving, always said that I needed a girl like Selena in my life. I never realized how right my mom was until I lost the girl.
♠ ♠ ♠
hey, look at that! A chapter without James and Selena fighting constantly! haha. hope you all enjoyed it :)
comment.befriend.subscribe.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife