The Time Capsule

Chapter Fifteen

Amber

It’s been about five years since I’ve been home. I can’t wrap my mind around that fact. I was always the girl who would talk to my parents on a daily basis, even in college. So not coming home is a big deal in my mind. But once I got my dream job I had responsibilities and going home was something I’d always say I’d do next year. I guess it’s finally that ‘next year’.

After the awkward dinner with my parents, the rest of the group goes up to get situated in their rooms. I, on the other hand, get to visit with my parents. Something I wasn’t exactly looking forward to. Maybe this is the actual reason I never come home.

“so honey, no man in your life, right?” my mom asks, smiling. I know what’s going through her head, through both of their heads.

“no mom, I would have told you.” I answer. That was obviously a lie, but I wasn’t about to tell them that I had been dating a guy who was already engaged. I don’t think that would have gone over well.

“Greg sure seems like a nice guy.” My dad points out as if I hadn’t realized it yet. This is what my parents love to do on their free time; play matchmaker.

“yes, he does seem like a nice guy.”

“Why don’t you try out a relationship with him? You did like him back in high school.” This is the downside to being close with your parents, they know all about you.

I sigh, “Not only does he live down in California, not Washington, but his life isn’t the life for me.” I didn’t want to go into too much detail because it wasn’t my story to tell. But it is true; living in a house that you can barely get into isn’t exactly how I want to spend the rest of my life.

“oh, come on, give it a shot honey. You’re thirty and you need to settle down and start a family at some point.” Which meant my mom wanted me to marry before she died. Got to love this family.

I smile, though that’s not exactly how I was feeling at the moment. It was still hard to talk about relationships after what happened this morning. “Also, I highly doubt Greg would want to.”

“trust me honey, that boy is head over heels for you.” I roll my eyes at my dad and stand up to leave.

“this conversation is great and all, but I’m going to head out to see the old tree house. Don’t worry,” I could see them look at me warily, they didn’t like it when I went out past dark. “I’ll be back here to sleep.” I reassure them before grabbing my coat and heading out the door. Even though it was the middle of the summer, the nights were still cool here.

I walk about ten minutes down a trail until I reach the treehouse that we all built as kids. It looked sturdy enough to hold me, even after all these years. I sit on the porch of the house and look up at the stars, missing the view. It’s not something you ever get to see in Seattle. Actually, it’s not something you get to see most anywhere. But here, out in the middle of nowhere, the galaxy itself is visible. And my, is it a beautiful sight.

I hear a rustling and look down just in time to see Greg climb the ladder. How did he find me? I sit up as he enters the side of the tree house I’m on and he takes a seat next to me.

“uh, hey?” I say, confused as to why he came out here. Though I’m sure it had something to do with not wanting to be around Selena and James as they start another fight. Maybe they should just have sex and get it over with.

“hey, whatch’ya doing out here?” he asks casually.

I look over to him, expecting him to be watching me, but instead his focus was on the sky. “This just seemed like a spot to visit before leaving tomorrow. Plus, I can never get over how amazing the stars look.”

“I know, it’s not something we get to see, well, at all.” He comments, and then looks down at me, “you cold?”

I nod, though I didn’t want to leave yet which is what I assume he was implying. It wasn’t until he pulled a blanket out of the bag he brought that I realized he was basically prepared to stay here the whole night. I wonder if he planned on me being here of not…

Once we got situated with the blanket, silence fell upon us once again. I didn’t want it to be that way though. I wanted to talk as much as I could with Greg, even if it was pointless words. In less than a week I wouldn’t see him ever again (most likely), so I need to take advantage of what time I do have with him.

I turn on my side so that I’m facing him, and he does the same. “you know, I really liked you in high school.”

Greg just chuckles, a really hot chuckle if I may say so myself. “Amber, I didn’t even like myself in high school.”

“yeah, well I did. But of course I didn’t know what to do about because not only were you the school geek, I wasn’t friends with you anymore.”

“and the friends part made a difference why?”

“because, if we were still friends at that point I could have used to whole ‘fell in love when we were kids’ excuse and not have to worry about being tossed into the loser section of the school. As you can tell, I was pretty selfish back in high school”

He smiles, “I think we were all pretty selfish in high school. I mean, I liked you too, but there’s no way I could have dated a cheerleader, it would have ruined my reputation.”

I slap his arm, “I already admitted it was rude of me!”

“yeah, but I can still make fun of you for it. Plus I’m sure it was just the fact that you missed having me around to correct you all the time.”

I roll my eyes, “yes, that’s what I missed.” I move so that my head is on his shoulder, which is much more comfortable than the wooden floor. I look back to the house, wondering what James and Selena were doing.

“is it weird that I want a relationship with you, even if it would only last a few days?” Greg asks.

I look back to him, “why would it only last a few days?”
♠ ♠ ♠
Awww, happy scene between Greg and Amber :) :) The next chapter will be like that too :D
comment.subscribe.befriend.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife