The Time Capsule

Chapter Sixteen

Greg

Oh shit. I’m guessing that last part wasn’t exactly appropriate to add into the asking her out piece. Totally not appropriate at all. “it’s just that your life is in Seattle and mine is in California. They aren’t exactly close to each other.”

“but they aren’t across the country from each other.” Amber points out which just makes this harder on me. “Plus I live in the city of technology. And you said yourself that your work is all computer.”

“What if I didn’t want to move to make this relationship work?” I didn’t want to go into her safety because I know she’d just brush it off as nothing. But in reality, it isn’t nothing.

“then I’d move down to California. I get many job offers from the town you live in. I’d have a job in a heartbeat.”

I smile thinking about waking up to her every morning, seeing her before going to bed…and all the times in between. I take a deep breath, “the truth is Amber, we can’t date…or become anything more. Actually, I don’t even want to be friends, but I know that’s impossible to stop, so I’ll let that pass.”

“stop right there Greg, you don’t’ want to be friends?”

“It’s hard to explain Amber.”

She crosses her arms like the stubborn girl she has always been, “try me.”

“I’m a computer programmer. Which means that I invent programs, I’m sure you knew that. I’ve been working on some different projects that a lot of people want. That’s why my house is so secure, so that I can’t get kidnapped. This sounds like some movie, but I can assure you it’s not. I’ve got all sorts of government and mobs out to get this information and it’s very dangerous. There’s a reason why I live on a crowded beach, and why I went up to you instantly the other day. I didn’t want Selena shouting my name too much longer.”

“I don’t get it Greg, so you need to be protected. That doesn’t have to do with me.”

“These groups, Amber, will stop at nothing to get the information. I’ve never had anyone close to me, that I obviously cared about, since you, James, and Selena. But no one now would consider kidnapping you because we haven’t talked in ages. Once they realize that I would do anything to save your life, they’re going to be after you. I can’t put you at that risk.”

“what about your parents?”

“security.”

She scrunches her eyebrows together, “did you hire a bodyguard for me?”

I hesitate, knowing she wouldn’t like the answer. “no, why would I? We both know we’ll probably never see each other again.”

“Greg Toomey, do not lie to me! Do I now have a bodyguard?!”

I nod slowly, “yes.”

“oh.” She says, looking away from me and out into the forest. “can I meet…is it a guy or girl?”

I smile, knowing that the question meant she was accepting the fact. “girl. And yes, you can meet her.”

“now?” she sounded eager, which I guess was good. Better than her being mad at me like I thought her reaction would be.

“Not exactly how I planned the night to go, but I guess it’ll have to do.”

Amber grins, “and how did you have the night planned?”

“well, the conversation we just had definitely wouldn’t have happened.”

“I can see where that wouldn’t work into the plan. What about you asking me out?”

I shake my head, “nope. Not part of the plan either.” I pull the backpack close to me so that I could dump out its contents. “sour patch kids, whip cream and saltines, and dove chocolate.” I take out the laptop that her mom let me borrow and Amber instantly narrowed her eyes, “don’t worry, it’s your moms and I haven’t checked my email. The plan was to eat this junk food, watch whose line is it anyways, and by the end of the night you’d have totally forgotten about the jerk that broke your heart this morning.” I explain, well opening up the web browser to watch the show.

“Greg, how did you think of this?”

I smile, “well, a big part was probably when I didn’t think of it. Selena told me what to do.”

“of course she did. I hope they haven’t killed each other yet. Who knows what they’re doing without us watching.” She sighs and leans back against my chest.

I take in a deep breath, not used to this much contact with, well, anyone. I’m so used to keeping people at a distance. “eh, I think they’ll be making up sooner than expected. Actually, I’m pretty sure Selena has already forgiven him in her head, you know how stubborn she can be.”

“yes I definitely know that.” Amber turns a little to face, “so, since none of this has gone according to plan, what are we supposed to do?”

“well we could just start the plan now.” I offer.

“except there’s something wrong with your plan,” Amber says, a smirk playing on her lips. The more she does that the harder it is for me to not just grab her and kiss her. Dorky I know, but it’s the truth.

“what would that be?”

She leans in close, her lips just inches from my own, “that I’ve already forgotten about the jerk.”

And that’s when I did something I never thought would happen. I kissed Amber Woods.
♠ ♠ ♠
comment (you know you wanna!).subscribe.befriend.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife