The Time Capsule

Chapter Twenty

Greg

Dinner right now is awkward to say the least. Grant talked to each of us about what we’re doing with our lives, but that was it. At least he’s trying to loosen the tension. Failing at it, but still trying.

“what do Carrie and Simon do for dinner?” Amber asks me in a moment of silence at the table.

I shrug, “um, I’m sure one of them goes and gets the food while the other stays guard. I don’t really ask questions about their job.”

Amber glares at me, “they’re your employees Greg! You should know what they’re doing!”

“who’s Simon and Carrie?” Selena asks, probably trying to keep the topic off of why she ran off earlier.

I was about to answer when Amber beat me to it, “well Simon is Greg’s main body-guard. But for this trip he hired Simon’s wife so that there would be a girl body-guard too. And supposedly, she’s kind of become my body-guard for the time being.”

“Amber, we’re going to need to talk about what type of information is safe to give out.” I tell her, and then turn to the rest of the table who were staring at me, “I’m wanted by a lot of people because of some information that I have. So I need body-guards. You guys will see some of the side effects to being me when we’re at my parent’s house tomorrow.”

“yeah, yeah. It sucks to be a genius.” James jokes, flicking a piece of the chicken at me.

I lift my fork to throw some food back but Amber grabs my hand before I can, “there will be no more wasting of the food I made. How old are you guys? Ten?”

“how about fifteen, at least we’ve hit puberty at that time.”

Selena rolls her eyes, “in most cases, James, you still haven’t hit puberty.”

James opens his mouth to argue but Grant interferes and tells them both to stop fighting. Funny how the parents still have to stop a fight so many years later.

Amber and James went to clean up the dishes while the rest of us stayed at the table. Grant looks at the clock and then back and Selena and I. “so, uh, how’s life in Florida, Selena?”

“it’s great. I think I’m going to do some renovation to the house. I can’t have Greg here beat me in having two pools.” I couldn’t tell if she was joking or not about that topic. It could easily go either way.

“hey, they came with the house.”

“yeah, and who designed the house?” Selena knew I was behind the design of the house. There wasn’t any other way I could have made the security so high if I hadn’t helped out. Grant checked the time again. “are you expecting someone?” I ask, curious now.

“oh, just a little surprise for you guys.”

Selena groans, “I hate surprises.” I chuckle and take another sip of my coffee.

James comes back in, followed by Amber carrying a pie. “Figured I’d make dessert too.” She says, setting the pie down in the middle of the table. “Greg, want to help me get plates.” I nod, knowing that meant she had something to talk with me about.

When we got into the kitchen Amber sighed and leaned against the counter, looking exhausted. “James and Selena?” I guess, moving next to her.

“I just want to slap some sense into both of them. But it’s hard to do that when I don’t know the whole story from either of them.”

I pull her into a hug, kissing her forehead, “you don’t need to worry about them Amber. They’re adults and if they don’t want to work it out they don’t have to.”

She pulls back a little and looks up at me, “that’s really what you think Mr. ‘tell me what happened that day’?”

Okay, so I was caught. It’s hard not to want to fix such a ruined relationship. Also, who wouldn’t want to know about that day? It screwed up our friendships of fourteen years and that doesn’t happen with a simple broken heart. “how about we get those plates, huh?” I reach up to grab the plates but she stops me. “what is it?”

“I, uh, talked to some people and sort of took a job in San Diego.”

I stare at her for a moment, “you did what?”

“Greg, I had been considering it before I even knew you lived there. And they’ve been pressuring me for an answer, so I just figured I’d take it. That doesn’t mean we have to stay together or anything, I felt the need to tell you though.”

“hey, hey. I’m not mad. I wish you told me you were considering it though because it really isn’t safe for you to be anywhere near me.” I kiss her softly before grabbing the plates, “we’ll talk about it later. Now though, let’s go eat some pie.”

Finally there wasn’t a lot of tension around the table. We were all laughing and talking about old times. Then the doorbell rang, “oh, that must be Sarah.” Grant comments, getting up out of his seat. “You guys remember Sarah Fairings, right? Her daughter, Mary Lou, graduated in your class. I ran into Sarah and she was talking about how Mary was back in town visiting. Thought you all could catch up some.” With those words, he left to answer the door.

James sat there eyes wide while Selena looked like she wanted to punch something, or someone for that matter. Amber noticed too and seemed worried about what would come. When Sarah and Mary enter the room, we were still all sitting there silent. Grant got them plates and they joined us for dessert.

I vaguely remember Mary. She wasn’t exactly the type of person people befriended. If I remember correctly, she was known as the school slut. But then again, I didn’t pay much attention to reputations.

“oh my gosh, it’s been so long, hasn’t it James?” Mary Lou asks him. James finally realizes what was happening and looked up at her. Selena froze in her seat next to him, looking like she might become sick.

Amber and I looked at each other, both of us understanding only one thing.

Mary Lou had something to do with their break-up.
♠ ♠ ♠
The next chapter will have a lot of your questions answered and is already written.
I really like comments *hint, hint*
Comment.Subscribe.Befriend.Promote.
Please.
<3 justrealizelife