The Time Capsule

Chapter Twenty-Five

Selena

Blade was the only person I really knew in town. He’d been my boyfriend for most of freshman and sophomore year. I don’t even really remember us breaking up, I just remember it being a terrible relationship.

Let’s just say I encountered my first abuse during those years. Years that I had always forgotten. But just like all those other forgotten memories, these came up as well. So as I was deciding to go somewhere else for the night, the only person that came to mind was Blade.

And that’s how, five hours later from leaving Grant’s house, I’m sitting on the couch in a little two bedroom house, watching spongebob with a nine year old. Not to mention there’s a lot of screaming going on in the background, but Riley, the nine-year-old boy, and I have chosen to ignore it.

“so, do you play any sports?” I ask, trying to make conversation.

“No, I’m supposed to come straight home after school.”

“oh.”

“don’t worry about cheering me up, miss, I’m used to this.”

I nod nervously, remembering back to the days that it was Blade and I who were screaming. Not Blade and his wife, and definitely not in front of a child. “you may call me Selena.”

He nods, “how do you know my dad, Selena?”

“we attended school together.”

“oh. Can I ask something?” he sounded shy now which I didn’t understand. It’s not like he knew me or anything, but he’d seemed pretty normal beforehand.

“sure.”

“was my dad always like this?”

I was speechless. What was I supposed to tell this kid? That his father was always an angry, abusive man. That he anger management issues that he’d never get help for. That I’m sure his mother is just waiting for an opportunity to pack her bags and run. And so it makes sense why I hesitate in answering the child. “yes, he’s been this way for a while.” Riley just nods in acknowledgement. “does he…hurt you Riley?” The human part of me didn’t want to ask. But the lawyer part knew I couldn’t leave without an answer.

Riley stared at me for a couple of minutes, probably trying to figure out if I was someone he could trust or not. “Not anything excessive. I deserve it when it does happen.” His shy words reminded me of the days that I would say those exact words. With Blade and then later Rick.

“No one deserves that Riley.” It became silent in the kitchen which made me worry more. Did he hit her? I stand up to check out the scene but Riley grabs my hand, “don’t go in there.” He didn’t need to say anymore, the look on his face told me he’d made that mistake before.

I sit back down and continue to watch Spongebob with Riley. There wasn’t much other I could do besides stay here and wait for tomorrow to come. Oddly enough, I didn’t have to wait that long. In the midst of watching Mr. Crabs go off on one of his rants, the front door bursts open.

At first I thought Blade would come storming through the house to see who was there, but no movement occurred from the kitchen, making me wonder even more what was going on behind the closed doors. Instead, the person I see appear from around the corner is James. James and two cops to be exact. Riley looks at me and then to the group standing there in the hallway. “oh damn, I’m dead.” Riley says in a half-serious tone. I’d be joking too if I were in his position.

Silently James walks over to me and gently grabs my arm, forcing me to stand up. I too, don’t say a word to him, but turn to Riley and give him a small smile. “Consider it your lucky day, kid.” He looks a little worried, as if his dad will actually kill him, “don’t worry, trust me, tell the police everything. Okay?” he nods and I pull out one of my business cards with my cell phone number, “call if you need anything.” Again Riley nods and then turns to the smaller of the two police officers, and starts to tell his story.

James and I walk outside to his car, to which we sit until he’s finished telling Amber and Greg that I’m safe. So many questions were going through my head that I didn’t know where to start. To my dismay, James starts for me, “what were you thinking?”

“I was thinking that I needed a break. Blade was the only person I really knew in town.” I give him my short explanation, knowing that it didn’t really answer his whole question. “Why did you come?”

James pulls out of the driveway and starts down the road, opposite from the way we should be going. “Next question.” He says without looking at me.

“Why did you bring the cops?”

He glances at me for a moment, “because I don’t believe that guy would have ever changed. And I’m thinking I’m right. Plus when I explained everything to my dad, well the short version, he called up Sheriff Michaels.”

“I’m amazed he would do anything for you.” It’s not like James had the best record in this town, so the fact the police department would help him at all was a surprise.

“It wasn’t for me, Selena, it was for you.”

“where are we going?”

“we’re meeting Greg and Amber at the park before heading to Gregs house.”

I nod, accepting the answer. Not that I really had any choice to say no, but still the gesture seemed necessary. I didn’t have any more questions and I think James sensed that. “why did you give that kid your number?” he asks.

“I’m an Attorney in three states. New York, because that’s where my dream house is. Here, in case I ever needed to move back home. And Florida, because I wanted to live on the beach for a part of my life. That way, I’ll have a job wherever I’m needed. So, if Riley needs my help here in town, I’m able to help him.”

We pull up to a park I knew too well. It’s where the four of us would spend the majority of our summers together. “This is where we’re meeting them?”

James nods and gets out of the car before opening my door too, “but it doesn’t look like they’re here yet.”

I look around at all the changes that they made. Then my eyes fell upon one of those glider swings and widened in excitement. It was the exact same one that was here so many years ago. I run to it and hear James’ distant laugh as he follows. Once he takes a seat across from me, I let it start to swing. We sit that in silence, just watching the kids and families around us enjoy their time.

“What was in that letter still stands true today.” James says, just above a whisper. I turn away from the kids to face him.

“what?”

“The letter you read. It’s all true. That’s also why I came to get you.” I worked to remember exactly what he wrote in that letter. Then it dawned on me, the only words that could still have meaning today; I Love You. And then he repeated the words, reinforcing my realization. “I love you, Selena” At those few words I swear my heartbeat picked up. I silently cursed myself, not wanting to fall for this stupid, idiotic guy again. “I have yet to figure out what kind of love it is though. All I know is that I hate it when you’re in pain, especially if it was caused by me. I can’t stand it when I can tell you’re lying, or the way you show your fake smile to make people think you’re happy. I easily get worried when you run off, such as this morning. And I care about your happiness more than anything, which is why I left you alone for so many years. I wanted you in my life the whole time but couldn’t allow it. You don’t deserve someone as terrible as me and I definitely don’t deserve someone as nice as you. But whether this is romantic or brotherly, it doesn’t matter. I love you.”

And then I did something so spontaneous, so out of this world, so unlike me; I kissed James Watson.
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay guys, this chapter definitely deserves comments. I mean, they freaking kissed! Why wouldn't you comment on that?!?!
COMMENT.SUBSCRIBE.BEFRIEND.PROMOTE.
PLEASE.
<3 JUSTREALIZELIFE