The Time Capsule

Chapter Thirty-Four

James

“When are we leaving James?” Selena asks for the millionth time from the bedroom. I’m trying to find something for her to wear but she honestly didn’t pack the right clothes for this date.
“When I find something for you to wear.”

I hear her groan and flip another page. I glance up at her and chuckle. She was in one of my white shirts and wearing her fake glasses while reading one of the books for my work. “obviously you’re not going to buy that book,” I joke, standing up and tossing her swimsuit at her.

“You spent that much time for my swim suit?”

“no dummy, I’m going to go get clothes from Amber. But at least you can start getting dressed.” I walk out of the room and into the guest room down the hall. I knock and Amber opens the door. “can I borrow some clothes?” I ask.

“Greg! James needs some-”

“no silly. Your clothes.”

Amber cocks an eyebrow, “what kind of role playing are you guys doing?”

“they’re doing role playing already?” Greg asks, walking into the wrong part of the conversation.

“you guys have sick minds. No, we’re not doing that. She doesn’t have any tank-tops and I figured you’d have one that she could borrow.”

“Oh, why didn’t you say so in the first place?” She questions and walks over to her suitcase. Quite quickly she starts tossing around her clothing finally coming back up with a ‘ah-ha’ “Here,” Amber hands it to me and then goes back to putting her clothes away.

“Thanks, I’ll see you guys later.” With that I walk back to my room and toss the clothes to Selena who, evidently, was still on the bed in my shirt. “Get dressed now.” I tell her, “or we will be late.”

“Late for what?” she wines grabbing the pile of clothes next to her and walking towards the bathroom.

“that’s why it’s called a surprise hun!”

“you already surprised me yesterday, can’t I get one free date?”

“nope. Now get dressed. And don’t put on any make-up.”

“not even mascara?”

“unless you want to look like a raccoon, especially not mascara.” About five minutes later she comes out. “ready?”

“you tell me.” She retorts.

I smile, “you’re definitely ready.” I grab her hand and lead her back to the farm behind her house. She stops in her tracks one we reach the doors, “what?”

“are we doing what I think we’re doing?” She’s grinning from ear to ear, obviously excited about this now.

“If it’s getting that reaction, I sure hope so.”

“You’re taking me out to the falls? Our falls?”

I smile sheepishly and open the barn doors, “that would be correct.” I start to saddle up the horse but Selena’s hand stops mine and makes me turn towards her.

“James, what are you really doing?” she asks seriously, the fun in her tone from a moment ago washed away.

“I’m taking you on a date to your favorite place…” I answer, trailing off since I figured I didn’t answer the right question.

“but why? You know I would have been happy watching some movies and cuddling on the couch.”

I sigh and turn to fully face her, “what’s this about Lena?”

“I-I don’t want you getting your hopes up, James. Tomorrow I’ll be flying off to Florida, and you to New York.”

“I know that, that’s why I planned the best date ever.”

“If I hadn’t said yes, or if we weren’t going our separate ways, would you still have done this?”

“of course.” I answer quickly, resting my hands on her hips and pulling her closer, “because it’s not every day I get to lay down and stargaze with my best friend at our favorite spot.”

She chuckles and pulls back a little from my embrace, “let’s go loverboy, before you get any more mushy.”

“me? Mushy? I don’t think you know who you’re talking to darling.” Selena rolls her eyes and finishes saddling up the horse.

About ten minutes later we’re in the back corner of her family’s property. “God I’ve missed it here,” Selena says once we’re settled down with the picnic. “you don’t find this in Florida.”

“or New York.”

She looks away from the waterfalls and focuses her attention on me, “why’d you move there?” I shrug, hoping that would be enough for her to drop the subject, but of course she saw through me, “come on James.”

I sigh, “I had just graduated from college and had come back here to help around the house until I found an actual job. Then one day I got a letter in the mail. It was from a woman named Grace. She said something about how my mom wanted to see me but knew I wouldn’t so she didn’t ask. Grace decided to try against my mothers’ requests. I discussed it with my dad and in the end chose to go visit. What I didn’t know was that she was ill and had less than a year to live. I stayed with her through all of it once I found out how sick she was. About ten months after I arrived she passed away. I didn’t tell my dad the news about it until this past week. I don’t even know why I kept it from him, I just did. During my time in New York I got that job at the publishing agency to help pay for bills. I never thought it would be something that I’d want to continue. But after my mom died I just kept with it and now I’m still there and living in New York City. So that’s why I’m in New York.”

“I’m sorry.” She whispers, leaning her head against my shoulder.

“I’m not. Now, what about you missy? Why Florida out of all the coastal states?” I notice she gulps at the mention of it, making me quickly know that it wasn’t a topic she wanted to discuss. “it has to do with Rick, doesn’t it?” Selena nods and I pull her closer to my side. “come on, I made all your favorites and you’ve barely touched it.”

“hmm, I want to jump in first.” She shimmies out of my arms and stands up.

“really now? Should I toss you in?” I get to my feet and start walking toward her.

“no, no you shouldn’t.” Not listening I pick her up and toss her over my shoulder. “James! This isn’t funny dude.”

I chuckle and set her down on the edge of the water, “did you just call me dude? And don’t worry, I wouldn’t let you get Ambers shirt wet.” We both strip down to our swimsuits and race up to the ledge. “ladies first.” I say, motioning for her to jump in.

She grabs my hand and pulls me forward, “nu-uh, we’re doing this together.” I smile and count to three before we both jump into the cold water.

I stay under a little bit longer but eventually float back up to the top, “you were scaring me there for a second James.”

“yeah, I’m sure I was.” She was treading water underneath the falls. I never saw a more beautiful sight than this one. When I finally reach she flicks some water at me, laughing in the midst of it. “oh, you want to start that, huh?”

“no, I actually don’t. That was for scaring me.” She pouts, looking up at me through her eyelashes.

“that, is a totally unfair advantage.” I grab her hand under the water and pull her toward me, “but it worked.”

For a few moments we just stared at each other, allowing the water to fall around us. “hey James?” Selena whispers.

“yeah?”

“I think I’m falling for you all over again.”

She slides her hands around my neck and pulls me down for a kiss. I pull her closer so that there’s no air between us, our bodies tangling together under the water.

“I’ve already fallen.” I whisper, pulling back for a breath. Selena grins and pulls me down for round two.
♠ ♠ ♠
no comments last time..what happened? they finally open the box and you all decided a comment wasn't worth it? whatever. I think this date-scene deserves a comment. I mean, she admits her feelings for him! what else do you want (I know, I know, you want one of them to move in with the other and all of that, well, the story isn't over yet that's all I'm sayin')
Comment.Subscribe.Befriend.Promote.
Please.
<3 justrealizelife