The Time Capsule

Chapter Thirty-Nine

Amber

Months passed after the trip. I was still getting used to the fact that it was always sunny. Coming from a city where it rains more often than not, the sun is a pretty new to me. Also, living on a beach that is actually sandy…yeah, that’s pretty much the best thing ever.

Greg and I have fallen into daily routine. We work-out and eat breakfast together every morning before Carrie would take me to work. I still felt bad that I was forcing her and Simon to be separated but she told me it was more than fine. Her exact words were “I don’t think I’d be able to handle seeing Simon all day.” I laughed and agreed that there could easily be an amount of too-much of someone.

Reality, the restaurant I’m working at, gave me a week off for the holidays. A week that I’d be spending on the sunny beaches of California. Never in my dreams did I think that would happen.

“Greg!” I whine, sitting up in our bed. He’d been on the phone for the past hour and I didn’t know whether it was business, family, or something else. But whatever, or whoever, it was definitely seemed important. “I’ve got an early morning tomorrow!!” I tell him and he glances over his shoulder giving me a smile. What’s that supposed to mean?

Finally he hangs up and sets the phone back in its spot before climbing into bed. “Someone’s impatient.” He teases, pulling me closer to him.

I glare at him, “I wanted to go to bed. Plus no one should be calling this late on a weekday.”

“you know, you are allowed to sleep without me, right?” I push him but he doesn’t budge. Damn super strong people! “Anyways, I think you’d be very interested in what that phone call was about.”

My ears perk up, “what? Please tell me, I want to know.”

“I thought you needed sleep, you do have an early morning tomorrow, Amber.” He teases.

“Greg! Just tell me and then I can go to sleep.”

He grins, “that was my dad and he was wondering if we wanted to have Christmas with them and your parents.”

“of course!” I yell, causing him to pull back a bit laughing, “sorry.”

“not a problem. So I take it that’s a yes?”

“yes!”

“okay, I’ll call and talk to him tomorrow. We’ll be leaving in two days, when your vacation would normally start.”

“sounds perfect.” With that we fell asleep for the night. All I could think about was getting to go home for Christmas, something I hadn’t done in years.

“So what do you and Simon do for the holidays?” I ask Carrie during a short break at work.

She just shrugs, “depends on the year and the level of danger. This year we’ll probably be heading back with you guys.”

“I’m sorry.”

“why? It’s great! My mom lives about an hour away so I’m able to see family while working.” Carrie replies, spinning a little on the stool.

“oh, well then, I take back the apology. I wish I could convince Selena and James to come.”

“and why can’t you?”

“You saw what happened at the airport, last time I talked to Selena she hadn’t even read the note. And I highly doubt I could get them in the same town.”

“Then don’t tell the other one. Tell James that Selena can’t make it because of work or something and vice versa.”

I narrow my eyes at her, “you’re a bit too sneaky. Should I be watching my back or something?”

Carrie laughs one of her real laughs, the ones that didn’t make you realize how reserved she was, “you should always be watching your back dear. But me? I won’t be doing anything…too terrible.”

“uh-huh, that was believable.”

She rolls her eyes and pushed my cell phone toward me, “just call them now. We leave tomorrow so you should at least give them some type of heads up.”

“I’ll talk to Greg first. I don’t want to make any decisions without his input.”

“you really think he’s going to tell you no?”

“good point, but still, I feel like I should run it through him. Maybe it’s time for Greg and I to step back ya know? We’ve kind of been pushing this relationship thing for Selena and James a little too much.”

Carrie grins, “you finally admit it, huh?”

“oh shut-up. We need to get back to work anyways.” We both set our dishes in the sink and she heads back out to the restaurant part while I stay in the kitchen, cooking my ass off for the rest of the afternoon.

“Hey Greg?” I yell from the bathroom, getting ready for bed.

“yeah babe?”

“I was thinking of inviting James and Selena to Christmas. It just doesn’t feel right to be going back without them.”

Greg appears in the reflection behind me, “well it was going to be a surprise but you kind of ruined it.”

I smile and turn around in his arms, “so they’re meeting us there and they don’t care at all? I mean, I’d think that at least Selena wouldn’t want to be in the same room as James yet.”

“I’m not stupid. I told the them that the other one had previous plans.”

“oh, that’s what I was going to do. When do they fly in?” I ask, going back to taking off my mascara.

“they should both be there about five hours after us, so around dinnertime.”

Once I’m finished taking off my make-up, I start to jump up and down like a little kid. “I’m so happy that they’re going to be there. This was honestly the best Christmas present ever!”

Greg laughs at my delayed reaction, “oh really? So does that mean I can just toss the others out the window?”

“what? You got me more? Greg, we promised each other we wouldn’t spend that much this year.”

“I know, but since when do I listen?”

“come on! Please just take back whatever you got. Having Selena and James at dinner is enough for me.”

Suddenly his facial expression changed to something that seemed to be a little more nervous. What was that about? “I can’t exactly take it back Amber.” He says and then mumbles something under his breath that sounds like “though now I wish I could.”

“Why are you nervous all of the sudden?”

“I’m not.”

“yes, Greg, you’re obviously worried about something. What is it?”

“just your present.”

“I’m sure whatever you spent a ton of money on I’ll love.”

He bends down and captures my lips in a kiss, “I sure hope so.”
♠ ♠ ♠
wow, this was definitely a filler chapter. sorry about that guys. the next one will be much better, I promise.
comment.subscribe.befriend.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife