The Time Capsule

Chapter Four

Greg

I finalize a few colors in the codes and send it off to the company. That should do it for them. The best part about this job is that I could easily do it from home. I lean back in my chair and yawn, not really wanting to start my next project.

I decide on taking a run on the beach instead of working. Breaks are known to be good for you. The only problem with being on the beach during the day is all the women out there flirting with me. I don’t know why I got good looks because it’s sure as hell a waste. The only girls I’ve ever been able to utter a word to were two of my best friends in middle school. But once the group split come high school, I was screwed.

Back then it was easier to hide my so called hotness. I’d wear thick glasses that were fake, but made me look like a geek. I also stayed behind my computer the whole four years so people wouldn’t talk to me. It worked back then, worked very well. As time passed though, it became harder to hide, and now they see through all my ways of hiding it.

I slip into my workout clothes and head out the back door. The beach today wasn’t terribly crowded, not like some of those hundred degree days. I jog along the edge of the water for the five or so miles and take a break at one of the thousands of lemonade stands around. Just sitting there I could easily count ten girls, and a couple of guys, checking me out. I shudder at the thought of speaking to any of them. It’s seriously good that my job does not include any face to face interactions.

A car pulls up to the spot that was next to the bench I was at. Three people get out and look around, one pair of eyes landing on me.

“damn, is this what it’s like inFlorida?” the blonde woman asks the brunette.

“more old guys.” The other girl answers.

Then the guy speaks up, “yeah, yeah, a lot of hot guys and girls here. I just want to get back home. So, we need to find one guy. What do we know about him?”

The blonde goes through some paper, “I have his year book picture from senior year. That’s the newest one I could find. He keeps practically everything private, no way of contacting him. But through some talking around I found out that he lives on this beach.”

My ears perk up more at what they were saying. It sounded oddly like me.

The guy laughs, “yes, this beach, where should we start?”

The brunette takes a few steps out onto the beach, she looks back at the others, “we start like this.” And then, with a very loud voice, she yells a name, “Greg Toomey!!”

The blonde girl and the guy stare at her in awe, “I wonder what happened to the quiet Selena from high school.” They joke.

Selena? As in Selena Lawrence? She did just scream my name too. Which would make the other two James and Amber. What was going on here?

I stand up from my spot and walk over to James and Amber, as they watched Selena go around asking about me. As I pass by James asks me quickly, “hey dude, you wouldn’t happen to know Greg Toomey, would you?”

I stare at both of them, “um, what do you ne-eed from him?”

Amber was looking at the papers again as I talked to James. “We’re just some old friends, ya know, wanting to catch up.”

I wanted to laugh. Old friends? It’s been sixteen years. And last time I checked Selena couldn’t stand the presence of James Watson. When I’m about to reply Amber nudges him, “hey, look,” she whispers, holding up the picture for senior year. “It’s him.”

Her eyes rake my body once again and she smiles, “Hey Selena! We found him!” she screams over to her and Selena runs back to the group.

“Greg? Really? Whatever happened to those glasses?”

I scratch the back of my neck, “uh, those were fake…wha-what are you gu-ys do-ing he-ere?”

James lights up as if he realizes something, “your fear of girls! I totally forgot about that.” He smiles, “just talk to me dude, it’s all good. We actually came to pick you up. There’s something that we all signed years ago and little miss lawyer here won’t let up until it’s taken care of.”

Selena punches him in the arm, “excuse me, but we made a promise and we’re going to keep it.”

James turns his attention to her, “yes, I’ve made many promises and never keep them.”

“oh trust me James, I know you don’t keep your promises.”

“Don’t blame me, I wasn’t the tease.”

“tease? I wore a bathing suit James! That doesn’t mean I want to lose my virginity!”

I take a deep breath and turn my attention back to Amber. I could do this if I really tried. Just focus back to when we were kids, “how have you been?” I say slightly fast.

She smiles, “you’re trying to think back to when we were kids and you could talk to me, aren’t you?” I bite my lip, she could always read through me. “yep, that’s it. Whatever works I guess. Anyways, I’m good. Working as a chef up in Seattle so yeah, that’s pretty much it. What about you?”

I point to the papers in her hand, “you pretty much have my life on file there.” I joke, “I’m a website designer. But I have some stuff in my house that other people want so I have to keep a low profile and all of my stuff is high security. Which is why you couldn’t find me any easy way.” It became easier to talk to her after I kept thinking that it was Amber, and not some random woman.

Selena and James were still fighting on the side. “well, could we head back to this high security place of yours?” she nods her head over to the other two, “we should probably get those two separated before they kill each other.”

I laugh a little at their argument. Ever since they broke up that summer, they’ve hated each other. Though no one else knows what went on, not even Amber and I. “Hey James, get back into the car, Selena you’re in the back with Amber. And neither of you are talking.” I tell them both, making them go silent. Amber just shakes her head.

I give James directions back to the house and then go through all the security procedures to get in. Not many people visited me. I did have some friends but we always went out. So to get onto my property was not an easy task if you didn’t know how.

All of their jaws drop when they see the house, “damn dude, you sure know how to live.” James comments.

“yeah, I might just have to reconsider that apartment in the city that I have.”
Selena just blinks a couple times, “you have an indoor and outdoor pool? What the hell Greg! That is so not fair! Mines only outdoor,” she pouts a little, “though I have a sauna, do you have that?” James and Amber stare at her like she’s insane. “what? I really want two pools!”

“but you live on the beach Selena,” Amber points out.

“So? I’m not swimming in that ocean.” We climb out of the car and into the house.

I give them a short tour and then we all end up in the living room, “so, where are you all staying tonight?” I ask, getting more comfortable with the situation. They look at each other and back at me, I sigh, knowing what they want. “Fine, you can stay here. We can leave whenever for whatever you’re picking me up for. My job is all on the computer so as long as I have that I’m good.”

Amber crosses her arms, “not happening Greg. If we’re all taking time off work, you are too.”

“I’ll still have my computer though, right?” I look over at her and see it in her eyes that keeping my computer wasn’t going to happen.

“no computer at all.”

I cross my arms and look at all three of them, “anyone want to explain what’s going on?”

“we’re all thirty,” Amber starts.

“and we’ve got something to open up,” Selena finishes.
♠ ♠ ♠
As you can tell, this story switches POVs. (Selena, James, Amber, Greg) It will always be this way because, well, it's four stories being told. Hope you guys are enjoying. though I wouldn't because no one has told me so...
COMMENT.SUBSCRIBE.BEFRIEND.PROMOTE.
PLEASE!!!
<3 justrealizelife