The Time Capsule

Chapter Six

James

I don’t know how much longer I can stand seeing Selena lie. It’s terrible that she feels she has to lie in front of us. And to think I’m the only one who has noticed. I didn’t like seeing her in pain. That’s why I skipped high school so much because every time I saw Selena, I knew she was hurting. Hurting because I broke her. So instead of suffering through watching my ex-girlfriend go through depression, I just skipped school all together. The more I dedicated my time to my player status, the more I could distract myself from the only thing important in my life; Selena.

And now, seeing her so broken, I wonder if it’s still my fault. Maybe not directly. But I can imagine that because of me, her boyfriends haven’t been the best of guys. I tense my jaw at that thought, that any guy would treat her terribly.

“you okay there James?” Greg asks from the other queen size bed in here. He was engrossed in something on his phone, but somehow knew what was going on with me too.

“yeah. Just thinking.” I mumble, though he still hears me.

Greg sets down his phone and the thought that he was actually typing up code on that crosses my mind. How can he still be doing work with just his phone? “about Selena?” I look at him, shocked that he would notice something like that. “I wasn’t asleep on the plane earlier.” Oh, that’s how.

“I’m not crazy am I? don’t you see it too?”

he shakes his head, “James, you and Selena always understood each other in a way that Amber and I couldn’t. That’s why you guys worked so well as a couple. You could instantly know what she was feeling without a word out of her. You pick up on stuff that no one else does. She’s the same with you though, so you need to be careful.”

Was he right? I mean, if I pushed away the PDA part of our relationship, we really were great. Complete opposites, but that’s what made it work. “But in the end it didn’t work out…”

Greg laughs, “and you’re blaming your personalities? I don’t know what happened that summer. Amber doesn’t know what happened that summer. Only you and Selena do, and only you and Selena can fix it.” He pushes the covers aside and climbs under, getting ready for bed, “I’d start with apologizing.”

“but I did apologize, on the plane.”

“you have to mean it James, you can’t just say it.”

It’s ironic how Greg has known me practically my whole life yet never realized something about my family. How we never apologized. “I’ve only said ‘I’m sorry,’ two times prior to this Greg. One was when I broke my mothers favorite china. And the other was when I kept dropping the charm bracelet I got Selena as I tried putting it on her.”

“two times? Are you sure? I swear I’ve heard you say it before.”

“I’m sure.”

“well then let her come to you. We both know that Selena isn’t going to tell you if you keep bugging her.” He shuts off the lamp beside his bed, “hey, do you mean the bracelet she has on her left wrist?”

my eyes widen, “she has a bracelet on?”

Greg laughs, “yeah, hasn’t taken it off yet. Anyways, we’ve got an early start tomorrow so you better get some sleep.”

“yeah, yeah. I’ll go to bed soon. Night.”

“don’t stay up too late.” He closes his eyes then and goes to bed.

I climb into my bed but don’t fall I asleep. I couldn’t. I just stayed awake the whole night thinking about Selena. Stupid, right? I date her, break her heart, ignore her for sixteen years and then admit that I still care about her. I wouldn’t put it past her to think I’m lying. Why should she believe me at all? I never did anything for sixteen years to show her that I was still there. That I still cared.

And now it was too late to start. She had her life down in Florida and I had mine up in New York. Not exactly close to each other. On top of that, Selena has obviously closed herself off to others. I doubt I’ll be able to get her to open up in the week that I had with her.

By the morning sunrise I had taken a couple short cat-naps. It was the best I could do and luckily I wasn’t going to be driving first. We were to stop by Ambers parents’ house first. Then Greg’s tomorrow, mine Thursday, and at the end of the road Selena’s.

Our days were packed with driving, hanging out with the family, and going back down memory lane at each home.

Since Selena made it her mission to ignore me, I knew I’d have to do everything I could to get her alone and talk to her.
♠ ♠ ♠
Comment.befriend.subscribe.promote.
please.
<3 justrealizelife