Life Like This

Prologue

“It’s graduation, Garrett. You’ve gone four years without talking to her once, now’s your chance!” John slapped a hand on my shoulder, pointing to the beautiful girl standing a few yards away talking to an older couple. I shook my head and pushed off John’s hand. It would be weird to talk to her now when I’ve avoided her all of high school. I played with the tassel on my graduation cap, glancing up at the six boys staring at me with hopeful looks on their faces.
 
“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” I mumbled, scuffing my foot in the grass under me. I felt myself being pushed forward and the next thing I knew, I was standing in front of Delaney. She turned to me and smiled, making my stomach form knots.
 
“Hi Garrett. Happy graduation.”
 
“H-Happy graduation.” Good job Garrett, two words and you’ve already managed to sound like a dumbass.
 
“And who is this young man, Delaney?” The woman next to her asked, turning her attention to me. I gulped, my eyes flickering between the two.
 
“This is Garrett, he’s been in a few classes of mine throughout high school.” All of them, actually.
 
The woman smiled and held her hand out, shaking mine in an excited manor. “Oh it’s good to meet you dear! I’m Delaney’s mother, you can call me Laura.” She turned to Delaney and gave her a hug. “I’m going to go find your father, we’ll meet you at the car!” With that, she walked off in the other direction.
 
“So, what are your plans after summer?” Delaney asked. I shrugged, not too sure myself. “John said something about our band touring in the fall, not sure if that will happen though.”
 
“Really? That’s so cool! Your band is really good,” she said with a smile. The knots in my stomach became tighter.
 
“You’ve listened to my band?”
 
“I went to one of your shows before.” Her named was called from across the field. She turned her head and nodded before leaning in to give me a hug. “I hope you have a great summer, Gare.” I hugged her back, my body tingling when she pulled away. I stood in the same spot for what seemed like forever, the only thing bringing me back to the real world was Pat jumping on my back.
 
“She hugged me and said ‘I hope you have a great summer, Gare.’ She hugged me and called me Gare.”
 
“She’s so down to fuck, bro.” I smiled and threw my hat at my brother, laughing with the rest of the guys.
♠ ♠ ♠
Short prologue, but hey welcome to my new Garrett story. Hope you stick around