Status: A new born baby (Y)

Flagitious Essence

The Impossible Task

It had been several weeks after Dumbledore had showed them the memories in the pensieve. A slight shiver involuntarily ran through her body, the visions were getting clearer. Right now she stood outside the Head’s office waiting for the next meeting, as an owl had swooped down towards the Gryffindor table earlier that morning telling her to arrive at 8 o’clock sharp. Lileth would have marched right past the gargoyle if only she remembered the password and after a few fruitless guesses of all the sweets she could think of, she gave up and waited for Harry to turn up instead. Coincidence seemed to be on her side because just then the raven haired boy was running down the corridor towards her. Lileth noticed how he was drenched in rainwater and panting when coming to a halt beside her.

“How was quidditch then?” Lileth asked Harry hoping she didn’t miss out on much. His breaths slowed down and he gave an annoyed glare in her direction.

“You can’t keep skipping the sessions after school you know, and you didn’t miss out on much... I cancelled it after ten minutes because of the rain.” His first reaction of annoyance quickly turned to glum as he finished the sentence. She sighed and quickly turned to her best friend, it was bad enough her not showing up while he was captain and had most of the pressure on his shoulders this year.

“I’m sorry, but you know Snape would have had my head if I didn’t finish his bloody essay, seriously, I think he’s taking the Dark Arts job a bit overboard.” It was true, after he got the long-awaited position he was as sour as ever asking for long essays and chapters to be read every week. She didn’t understand how Harry managed to get his work done most of the time with being quidditch captain and attending Dumbledore’s meetings. Then again, he did have Ron and Hermione to copy off afterwards.

“Cockroach Cluster” Harry mumbled the password causing the ugly gargoyle to spring to life and jump aside leading to a spiralling staircase below the Head’s Office.

“Fair enough, but I just don’t like our chances this year” He continued as they ascended to the higher level which revealed an impatient Albus Dumbledore. Lileth realised how he was following the footsteps of their previous captain Oliver Wood, constantly ranting on about the chances or progress of the team.

Her eyes moved towards the dimly lit room that had pictures of the previous Headmasters snoozing along the polished walls. The warmth along with importance of the room never failed to amaze her, soon she began to stare in awe at the little trinkets and instruments that made dull sounds and moved of their own accord in the background. However, the most beautiful thing in the room had to be Fawkes, Dumbledore’s phoenix. He noticed the two enter and spread his wings in a welcoming gesture before going back to his nap, similar to the portraits.

“A little late today, but no matter I have something important to discuss with you” Her attention focussed on the bearded man in front of her as she took a seat opposite his desk similar to Harry. He was looking tired yet his eyes showed no sign of age, they were light blue and shone in the room.

“Sorry, I forgot the password” Lileth replied a little sheepishly, it was at least 8:17 by now which made them quite late. Harry didn’t bother explaining his quidditch but remained waiting for the Headmaster to continue.

Dumbledore sat back down onto his chair and placed the tips of his fingers lightly together in concentration as to how to begin. He looked at both boy and girl in front of him and sighed, he had to explain the real plan to the children tonight. The reason behind showing them the memories of the Gaunt family and Tom Riddle’s orphanage were important but last week’s pensieve experience was the key. It was the memory of the teenage Tom Riddle asking, a younger yet still round bellied, Slughorn what a horcrux was. Both knew by now it was the splitting of one’s soul, the deepest, darkest magic that any wizard could do to themselves in the hunt for immortality.

Lileth still had shivers of the thought and was a bit apprehensive of the meeting. Thanks to Harry’s use of Felix Felicis before questioning Slughorn, they were now certain Voldemort had created horcruxs, seven to be exact.

“After last week’s revelations, I’m sure you’ve both thought about the items that Tom Riddle would be eager to turn into horcruxs, am I correct?” Dumbledore asked the pupils in front of him.

It was true, try as she might to avoid thinking of the matter; her mind did wonder what the items could be. Actually, her dreams also seemed to reveal some strange images but for now, everything was a blur. Harry and Lileth glanced at each other; they did have an idea of what they might be.

“We were thinking sir...maybe they had something to do with the four houses?” Harry slowly suggested what Lileth and he had come to agree about last night in the common room. Dumbledore nodded and smiled pleasantly at the pair.

“That is correct, the horcruxs are most likely to be objects belonging to the Four Founders of Hogwarts; but I highly doubt Voldemort got hold of Godric Gryffindor’s Sword. It has remained with the school under close observation of myself and the previous Headmaster, Armando Dippet. I do not believe it was converted into a horcrux” Dumbledore smiled once again and glanced at his left, where reassuringly the sword was placed next to the sorting hat.

“What about the other three founders? He probably got hold of their objects since Hogwarts doesn’t have them anymore” Lileth looked away from the gleaming sword back towards Dumbledore and Harry nodded at her statement.

“That’s true, you said yourself Professor they’ve been lost” Harry pressed on, wanting to be definite of what the objects were. The old man sighed and shook his head; yes they were missing and probably turned into dark objects long ago.

“Yes Harry, I agree with you both. I do believe the other Founder’s objects are horcruxs. Tom Riddle was very fond of possessing prizes as you saw from the orphanage –but we cannot be certain. We have destroyed the ring and diary yes, but that still leaves out five horcruxs and only three of those could be Founder objects.”

Lileth did find it strange, what could the two other horcruxs be? It felt as if they were so close to finding out the truth each week but still miles away every time a piece of the puzzle was missing. From the corner of her eye she could see Harry’s face concentration until it also gave up like hers and turned to face the Headmaster. Dumbledore looked fairly cheerful for just throwing a problem at them to figure out and before either of the two spoke to tell him they had no idea what the other two objects were, he said something quite surprising.

“How are your dreams lately, Miss Smith?” Dumbledore’s eyes held a little sparkle but mostly worry. He hadn’t asked the question for a while; actually he never did which made it sound so strange. However, it had been Lileth who told Dumbledore about her strange dreams due to Harry’s persuasion all summer (“Voldemort might be trying to get in your mind like he did with me! You have to let Dumbledore know!”) After telling him on the first day back to Hogwarts, both Harry and Lileth began their sessions with Dumbledore from time to time.

“They’re a bit blurry...I think I saw flashes of objects before I even knew about horcruxs and...I still see...him” Lileth’s eyes unfocused as she tried to remember her dreams, but no way were they going to become clear now if they hadn’t before.

“Ah, Tom still?” He asked and Lileth nodded, frustrated and confused by the boy who kept visiting her every other night in her sleep.

Harry perked up to listen as Dumbledore continued to speak.

“First I thought the Dark Lord was trying to get into your mind but why would he give you visions of his younger self? It seems too unrealistic and I think the images you are receiving are mere coincidence. They might have a deeper meaning but, as you can see, I am no Seer or dream interpreter.” With a sigh the old man looked at the wall behind them wondering if the answer was written there.

It was true; Lileth had been seeing Tom Riddle in her dreams. First she thought it was a random bloke she’d seen some where but the images of him got clearer in the summer and she saw him wearing the school uniform. Hogwarts also appeared sometimes along with other grainy faces of people she didn’t recognise. The school looked older in her dreams and she had never seen the boy in it before. Lileth didn’t even see Tom Riddle in the Chamber of Secrets in second year like Harry did to realise who the boy was. One day she was so sick and tired of seeing a stranger in Hogwarts robes she decided to write a letter to Harry because he had his fair share of strange dreams. However when Lileth described him as handsome, tall with dark black hair and chocolate brown eyes, Voldemort wasn’t really Harry’s first guess.

It wasn’t until the first day of school Harry and Lileth both appeared and Dumbledore pulled out the silvery memory from her temple and placed it in the pensieve did they realise with a shock that the boy was in fact, Tom Marvolo Riddle.

Dumbledore pondered for months until he asked them to visit his office today about what should be done. The first step was to ignore the dreams until they went away, but they didn’t. So now the Headmaster chose to believe there was a deeper meaning for there occurrence. With a deep sigh he returned his gaze back to the pupils and wondered if his plan was ever going to work.

“Miss Smith, how would you take it if I said your dreams could be useful...to the ‘mission’” Dumbledore tried to chose his words carefully but there was no sugar coating the fact he was about to send the girl off to complete a very, dangerous plan. If all worked well and she agreed, Harry would be several steps in the lead against Voldemort.

Lileth stared at the Head confused for a moment, what mission?

“Uhh, I don’t understand. What mission and how is it linked to my dreams, sir?” Tom Riddle dreams were strange and she guessed that’s why he showed them memories of Voldemort’s past. Harry seemed to look just as confused and after hearing the word ‘mission’, sat on the edge of his seat.

“You said you saw glimpses of possible horcruxs?”

Lileth nodded “But they were too blurry, so I don’t-“

Dumbledore waved his hand and continued again stopping her mid-sentence.

“Yes, I understand but these links to Tom Riddle cannot be ignored anymore. It is too much of a coincidence to see flashes of his life and dark objects in your dreams Miss Smith. I have thought of the idea for a while and I realise there is a definite connection between your mind and Voldemort’s past –for some reason, I still don’t understand why. But, I have an idea that can help us determine the horcruxs. I will not force you Miss Smith as you can decide for yourself but it will be of great help.” The Headmaster had once again regained a shine in his eyes. He believed the plan would work and with Lileth’s obvious visions –it seemed as if the universe was telling him to go ahead with it.

She knew something was bound to happen in today’s meeting, but not this drastic. However, she wasn’t a Gryffindor for nothing! The dreams had annoyed her for far too long and she was distraught when Dumbledore told her to ‘ignore them’ at the beginning of the year. Finally, some action.

“Okay, I’ll do it... but what am I doing exactly?” She felt as if she was asked to blindly cross the road.

Harry didn’t seem too pleased either. Throughout the whole dialogue he failed to hear his name in any part.

“Sir, what will I do?” He blatantly asked the Head who just smiled in his direction over his glasses.

“Oh, I knew you would ask Harry, but I’m sorry to say my answer is –nothing. The plan alone is perfect for Miss Smith as she has been having these dreams alone. Also, I think if you met Tom Riddle you would not have as much self-restraint and would probably want to harm him in some way.”

Both students were now shocked and truly wondering what he old man was talking about. Harry felt hopeless because he couldn’t do anything and Lileth was trying to place the pieces together until she went over the words ‘met Tom Riddle’ again.

Getting up from her chair she looked between both Dumbledore and the boy next to her, as if he played some part in the plan but obviously didn’t because he looked just as confused.
Placing loose hairs behind her ears and rolling up her sleeves, Lileth looked straight at the Head and spoke evenly trying not to show any signs of worry in her voice.

“What do you mean by meeting Tom Riddle? What does the plan involve exactly?” She tried to sound indifferent as possible but inside she was freakinsg out. Had she agreed to some sort of wild goose chase rotating around Voldemort?

Dumbledore looked amused at the Harry and Lileth’s expression; maybe it was too much of a jump from their usual memory observing.

“Well, like I said I wont force you to do anything” He began and Lileth instantly felt relieved but a sense of responsibility still hung over her. She looked over at Harry for some words but he just shrugged, wanting to know what the Professor had to say so she turned allowing him to continue.

“There has to be a reason behind Tom Riddle appearing in your dreams, you cannot imagine a person you have never seen before to randomly stroll in your brain freely without having some link I thought. Also, with the images of the Horcruxs, everything seems to fit in place. We are looking for the objects and you, Miss Smith, will help us determine what they are.” Before either of them could say ‘how the bloody hell’ the man began once more.

“Time turners can be very useful at times like these, well apart from acquiring extra subjects of course.”

Lileth wondered how often there was a useful time to go back and visit Voldemort but chose to ignore her thoughts and continued to listen.

“Miss Smith, you are going to go back in time, 1943 to be exact to when young Tom Riddle was in his 6th year at Hogwarts as you are now. You do not have to necessarily befriend him but it could be useful into finding out the objects that have been turned into horcruxs. You’ll have to keep an eye out for things that I missed, despite the fact I was suspicious of him even then. Once you have the information I want you to come directly back using the time turner.” He finished and looked at Lileth waiting for her response.

“Okay, so basically –find Riddle; get him to tell me what the horcruxs are then come back as soon as possible? ...Sound easy...” Although, she didn’t sound very convinced. Dumbledore was deciding whether to scare her before the mission but decided she should be well informed.

“I’m afraid it’s not the simple. Riddle had a close knit group of friends and he was very persuasive. I doubt he would let you into all his secrets on the first encounter. Also, you do not need to hear evidence of the Horcruxs from his mouth exactly. If there is a definite inclination or fascination towards an object you notice when around him, then it is mostly likely to be a horcrux. Please be careful, even as a teenager I can still say he was very dangerous and secretive.”

Lileth’s first reaction was to be scared but then she realised her curiosity got the better of her. She wanted to know about the dreams and why they were happening to her –she wanted to meet the devil himself. Harry seemed to have picked up on the new ideas forming in her head and frowned.

“Sir, are you sure about this? Being alone with Riddle is not safe and I could even go instead of Lileth.” Harry seemed determined. Both of them wanted to go for different reasons, Lileth to solve the mystery that had been bugging her all year and Harry because he wanted to end it all –the prophecy, the wait and avenge his parents. But mostly it was the wait that killed him. He hated waiting and being useless while his friends were in danger. Dumbledore shook his head softly understanding the boy’s emotions.

“I’m sorry Harry but you’re going to have to trust Miss Smith on this.”

Lileth turned to Harry once again, her face smiling reassuringly at his rather hesitant one.

“Trust me Harry, I can do this. I hate seeing his face in my dreams for no reason, I need to know. I hate being so close to knowing what the horcruxs are, yet miles away. I can do this –I want to do this! I know it’s hard for you but believe me when I say this, if the plan works tracking down the horcruxs will be so much easier.” Lileth placed a friendly hand on his shoulder while he still debated in his head, until he realised he actually had no choice in the matter to begin with.

Getting up to stand next to her, he muttered a few inaudible words that sounded like ‘Fine...but if I...Its still dangerous...” Grinning, Lileth looked back at Dumbledore who also stood up in front of them.

“Sorry Harry, you can’t be hero every time” She smirked at the boy next to her, which he returned with a scowl.

“It’s not about hero, it’s risky!” Harry shot back now looking angry once more at his friend, she had not idea. However, Lileth just smiled more in his direction, she knew Harry had thing for being overprotective and looking out for the people he was close to. She chose to ignore it this time and wanted to be of some use. It was always Harry fighting the Dark Lord, if she gave some assistance it helped her feel like she was actually doing something, instead of sitting around waiting for the Boy who Lived to save the day. Even if it was just finding out what the objects were, she needed to help and felt responsible –heck, even the dreams were some obvious clues as to why she needed to do this!

Dumbledore cleared his throat and grinned as he pulled out a fat letter and golden time turner like the one Lileth saw Hermione wear in her third year.

“Well, I’m glad we’ve all reached an agreement-“ Harry glared once more at Lileth ”-And I think you’ll be ready to head off in exactly three minutes”

“What?! Three minutes –I’m sorry but you want me to travel back to 1943 in just three minutes? I haven’t even packed or said bye to anyone! I’m not even going to be mentally prepared -nevermind physically in just three minutes!” Lileth’s mouth hung open in a comical ‘O’ shape, her previous heroic nature melted quickly into panic.

“Ah! Don’t worry, all you need is in this letter and quickly place this Time Turner around your neck, you hardly have two minutes to spare now!”

Dumbledore handed over the letter and Time turner to her across his table and she roughly placed it over her head. The clock on his wall full of snoring previous head teachers showed it was exactly 8:58pm. Breathing heavily, she took in her surrounding she wouldn’t be seeing for a while. Fawkes was sleeping peacefully and next behind the polished wooden desk was Dumbledore looking at her with the sparkling glint he had in his eyes. Lileth’s eyes now stared at the boy in front with jet black hair. She tried smiling at him but he wasn’t
looking at her face.

His eyes were trained on the time tuner around her neck. Before she or Dumbledore could stop him and before anyone could even react, Harry did something shocking. The clock was seconds away from reading 9 o’clock but the boy’s seeker-like reflexes proved to be faster. His hand reached for the chain around Lileth’s neck and before she could even acknowledge what had happened –it was done. Pulling the chain over his head as Lileth’s form began to disappear; they were both sucked back into time itself.
♠ ♠ ♠
First Chapter up!! I have a couple more already written out but only after reasonable subscriptions/comments :) Please don't be a silent reader, I love feedback! I think my love for Tom Riddle has turned into an obsession, I have to vent out all this love through writing. It's been a while and I've had the idea in my head for a long time, so please comment and subscribe because I enjoy writing as much as you hopefully enjoy reading! No Tom in this chapter really, for obvious reasons, he will be in the next one, dont worry :) I hope you like it and I think this is going to be a long-term story (quite long and I'll be writing it for a while) -but only if readers want me to! So have to comment if you want more, or no updating :) Thanksss! x (word count 3,542)