Status: A new born baby (Y)

Flagitious Essence

First Impressions

“GRYFINDOR!”

The sorting hat bellowed above Harry’s head. It wasn’t surprising for either of them, just seconds after landing on the black hairs the decision was made. Quite opposite to the long wait Harry had with sorting in his first year.

“Ah, Gryffindor! I am very pleased to officially welcome you to my house Mr. Potter” Dumbledore exclaimed his joy then picked up the dusty hat.

Armando Dippet smiled at the newly sorted boy. At first he was slightly surprised by Dumbledore’s news of the two latest instalments to Hogwarts, it was a rare occasion to have students joining so late. However, he was a kind man, after listening to the Transfiguration teacher explain of their ill circumstances at home, how they were home-schooled and swapped at birth in the hospitals for muggle families which led to them never receiving letters to Hogwarts, he softened allowing them to join the year.

“Thank you very much sir, our parents would be so proud of us if they knew we were attending Hogwarts. Sadly, I doubt they would know.” Lileth managed a teary-eyed smile in the Headmaster’s direction, hoping she wasn’t milking it by now.

“Oh but my dear! It is all but a pleasure for you to be joining us!” Dippet smiled warmly at her, if anyone deserved an education in his eyes, it would be Miss Smith and Mr Potter.

Harry stepped off the stool placed in the corner of the Headmaster’s office and joined her, secretly giving a mischievous smile as to how well the cooked-up story was working.

“Miss Smith, I believe it is your turn to be sorted” Dumbledore waited for her to sit down on the wooden stool before placing the hat onto her head.

“Brave, is what comes to mind.
Very brave and willing to assist those closest to you.
However, I see something else...
A passion to prove yourself? Hmmm
Actually, due to recent circumstances you appear to have a cunning side.”

It was true, Lileth thought as she agreed with the hat, she had become cunning. Not in a sense to trick people but because of the mission she had to fulfil. Discovering the horcruxs would be no easy task, and would inevitably require interaction with Riddle. It pained her to think it but maybe being in Gryffindor this time around wouldn’t be so useful...

“Having second thoughts are we?
Well if you think it will be of use –
SLYTHERIN!”

The word sounded so foreign, like she didn’t belong. Lileth had been a proud Gryffindor all her years, for a second she felt as if she betrayed some sort of unspoken contract but remembered how valuable the house would be. It was only a temporary state anyway; it wasn’t like she was pleased to be in Slytherin. The look on Harry’s face was utter shock but then it slowly formed into a frown.

“Well, unfortunately I won’t have the privilege of being the head of your house, but I’m certain Professor Slughorn will be pleased.” Dumbledore smiled, with a wave of his wand Lileth’s red lined robes turned bottle green.

“I wasn’t really expecting Slytherin but I’m sure it’s a lovely house.” She smiled sweetly, mainly to keep up the act in front of Dippet. Harry and Dumbledore had knowing looks, being well aware she chose the house deliberately for the task.

“Very Good, now I insist you head up to your common rooms, it is well past eleven now and classes for the new year begin tomorrow. Your timetables will arrive at breakfast; I do hope you enjoy your final two years at Hogwarts.” The headmaster felt a warmth when he spoke to the two, the children were so humble yet endured a twisted fate.

“Once again, thank you sir.” Lileth turned to leave; sleep was what she needed now.

“Good-night, sir” Harry said and followed out the door.

They both descended down the spiralling staircase which appeared to be the same they ascended earlier that day. Waiting until they walked past the gargoyle out into the hallway, Harry spoke.

“You did it on purpose didn’t you” He hesitated for her answer, whilst trying to keep a blank look.

“Yes, the closer to Riddle the faster we can crack on. It would be useful to keep an eye on him from inside the house” Lileth seemed determined she made the right choice.

“That may be true but now we’re split up...I’m just saying be careful, being a Slytherins not as easy as it looks.” He sighed, the task was complicated and if anyone discovered their true identities it would instantly shatter to pieces.

“Don’t worry -how much worse could these Slytherins be compared to Malfoy and his apes for friends, Crabbe and Golye?” She threw her hands into the air in exasperation remembering the three attempting to poison Neville’s toad in their first year. Lileth managed to knock the potion out of Malfoy’s grip seconds before he was about to pour it into the poor toad’s mouth. She was so angry at how he treated everyone worse than how some wizards treated their own house-elves! Not knowing many hexes at the time, but basically being too annoyed to care, she punched him square in the face. A loud crunch was heard; earning her a whole month’s worth of detention with Snape, now looking back at her actions–it was definitely worth it.

“I really wish I had my invisibility cloak or Marauders Map right now” Harry stopped her little trip down memory lane, coming to a halt at the top of the rotating staircase.

“And I wish I knew the way to the Slytherin common room but you really can’t be picky with just three minutes.” Throughout her years at Hogwarts she had no clue where it was, in the dungeons yes, but after that there were many corridors and passageways that could lead you anywhere.

“I only went down there in my second year with Ron, but we followed Malfoy.” He shrugged apologetically.

Before Lileth could ask why they were following the git, a male voice cut in.

“May I inquire as to why students are out of bed?”

It was a sharp yet calm request. His tone was even, each word was spoken with clarity. Of course she knew it was him, who else would fate have thrown in at that exact moment for amusement? It was too soon, she didn’t have a thought out plan and unfortunately first impressions left lasting memories. Make or break time.

Spinning around on one foot before Harry even had a chance to register the stranger, Lileth took the opportunity to say something reasonable in-case Harry had a nervous break down and decided to battle royal with Riddle’s wand.

“Hello, we’re new students, sixth years. I’m afraid I don’t know where the Slytherin common room is.” She asked him politely with a straight face, not wanting to come off as too pleasant.

Harry’s jaw stiffened along with his whole body, the look on his face was almost murderous until Lileth quickly nudged his side roughly.

“Ow!” He hissed rubbing the spot where she made contact.

Throughout, her eyes never left Riddle’s face, she noticed how a flash of displeasure made its way then was quickly replaced by disinterest.

“New students? Really, well then I must take it upon myself to show you to the common room.” His tone was flat, almost bored and didn’t hold any sincerity.

It was probably the facade he displayed to everyone, Lileth thought. Harry also seemed to stop and actually look at Tom Riddle properly for the first time, not a memory but the real thing. He was tall, skinny yet didn’t appear lanky as many teenage boys did (well apart from Harry). One hand was casually within his robe pocket, presumably holding his wand, while the loosely hung on his side. A bright prefect badge could be seen on the left side of his chest similar to the Slytherin girl’s who they met before. His face held no emotion what so ever apart from nonchalance which made him difficult to read.

“Thank you...” Lileth spoke slowly; it felt unnatural to say those words to the future Dark Lord.

“Follow me if you please.” With a final glance at them he walked down the steps swiftly not even bothering to look back to confirm his request.

Lileth noticed it was her cue to leave, doubting he would wait for her. Looking back at Harry once more she saw him frowning at the spot where Riddle previously stood.

“I’ve got to go Harry, I’ll see you tomorrow.” She spoke hurriedly, about to follow after the prefect.

“Be careful, he’s dangerous-“

“I know, but I doubt he’ll murder me at school.” She smiled weakly towards the boy and with a gentle squeeze of his shoulder; she bounded down the steps after Riddle while Harry left for the Gryffindor Tower.

When she reached the bottom of the steps the Slytherin was no were to be seen. However, after remaining for a moment she heard swift footsteps to her left, Riddle was walking on deeper into the dim corridor. Lileth had to run to catch up because the boy would not stop even for a second, not even caring if she followed. His speed was constant; the gait he held was stiff similar to the formality the previous Slytherin girl had. The Gryffindor’s she met were easy going enough, why was this house so different? The modern day Slytherins were slightly upper class but they still acted like any other teenagers. It was probably down to the fact the year was 1943; these Slytherins had to be considerably more uptight. Lileth would surely stick out like a sore thumb in the house.

“Wait up!” She huffed after him almost knocking over the suit of armour in process.

Surprisingly he complied, although never turning around to face her. Her pace slowed down as she neared him, stopping just a bit behind waiting for him to continue. Feeling the presence of another, Riddle began to walk swiftly once more deeper into the stony corridors. The temperature dropped significantly, they were nearing the dungeons. Lileth glanced up at the boy who was several inches taller, his face, unsurprisingly was blank. Would she need to become friends with him to discover the horcruxs? Probably yes, but the plan would still work if they were only acquainted.

“I never caught your name?” Lileth tried to make conversation knowing full well his name.

Glancing at her for the first time, he paced forward again. She thought he wasn’t going to answer for a moment until he replied-

“Tom Riddle.”

The name was spoken with smoothness, although Lileth knew he hated it. She waited for him to question back or even take an interest in her presence, but none came. Still as stone, he continued onward through the dark corridors, only their footsteps providing any noise. Tom Riddle was going to be difficult. This was difficult. Awkward silence flooded in as she wondered where the bloody common room was. Dumbledore had warned her of his unresponsive behaviour, she knew what she signed up for. Extra effort had to be made.

“Nice name. I’m Lileth Smith” This time she even threw in a smile.

Her eye’s shifted from his face towards the wall now in front of them. For a second fear flooded in her –had Voldemort just led her into a dead end? Riddle stopped walking abruptly but Lileth continued, taking in the surroundings, which led her to bump right into him.

“Umph!” His back was solid as any brick wall, she stumbled back a few steps regaining balance.

Riddle didn’t seem to take much notice, turning around to face her, he pointed at the wall with his free hand.

“This is the barrier that leads to the Slytherin common room, the password is Pure Blood. Goodnight Miss Smith.”

With that he strode off into the opposite direction, probably to finish off his patrol. For a moment she became suspicious of his detached behaviour, maybe following him wouldn’t be a bad idea? The thought frizzled out as soon as it erupted. It was late and there was a large chance she would get lost not knowing her way back to the common room. This was only the first encounter; there’d be loads of time to bond...well maybe not. Tom Riddle was not going to be an easy person to pursue. Shoving the thoughts to the back of her head, all she wanted right now was to sleep in a warm panned bed, even if it was in the Slytherin dormitories.

“Pure Blood.”

The wall flashed green, one by one the bricks moved to the side revealing a passage. Lileth walked into the common room, it was a low-ceilinged, dungeon-like room. The area was lit with greenish lamps but the room extended partway under the lake, adding to the green tinge. It all had quite a grand atmosphere, but also quite a cold one. Only a few students remained sat around the single fireplace, speaking in hushed voices. As soon as Lileth emerged they all turned to look, instantly falling silent. The awkwardness with Riddle was nothing compared to this.

“Err...Would someone tell me where the girl’s dormitories are...I’m new” She added a bit lamely at the end knowing she’d look like an idiot of a Slytherin if she didn’t know where the dormitories were being a sixth year.

They all continued staring at her, almost like replicas of Riddle’s blank stare. Maybe it was a thing in this house... Until one of them stood up from their curled up position on the green couch. A girl with a pale complexion looked puzzled but spoke nonetheless.

“New student? We hardly have those.” She looked around at her friends who agreed and turned to stare at Lileth as if she was an ogre hiding under the disguise of a girl. It was hard keeping a straight face when four other pokers ogled right back at you.

“I know, I’ve heard. Could you tell me where the girl’s dormitories are?” She pressed on again really wanting to disappear under the bed sheets.

“Oh –right. The door to your left...What year are you in?” She pale girl asked catching Lileth by surprise. It was quite a shock to realise not all Slytherins were unresponsive twits like Riddle.

“Sixth, and you?” She smiled at the girl who was about to be the first person she was close to holding a decent conversation with, except for George (but he did most of the talking anyway.)

“Sixth as well, our year’s dormitories are on the third floor. Maybe we’ll have some classes together.” She smiled back making Lileth want to jump in the air for discovering she had at least one friend in Slytherin, well soon enough.

“Thanks, I hope so” With that she bid goodnight and walked into the door on the left. It had been a long day, she had to sleep it off...maybe she’d even wake up to find out it was all a dream. Everything felt surreal; it was all happening so fast, since being in Dumbledore’s office to walking into the Slytherin common room. She wondered how Harry was doing, probably asleep already in his room with newly made friends, Gryffindors were much easier to communicate with. Thankfully, when she stepped into her room all the girls were asleep so she didn’t have to go through the ‘new student...Lileth Smith...goodnight’ again. An empty four poster bed with green sheets was waiting for her next to the window, as she came closer she realised her trunk was also on the floor. Normally, she’d change into her pyjamas but sleep overtook quickly. She fell straight into bed -out like a light, into dreamless sleep.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally! Tom and Lileth exchange words! Even if it's only a little, Riddle doesn't open up to people easily remember. I got a comment and subcription yay! I would like to thank caroline! for her commenting, I hope I'll get a few more too after this chapter. Tags are working at the moment, I wonder if your having the same problem with your stories? But if you search 'tom riddle' Flagitious Essence doesn't show up, which I hope is a reason I've only had 5 reads so far :) Anyway, hope you liked it, dont be a silent reader! (Tell me if you like how I displayed Tom's character?...If not how would I improve it? Thanks! :)