Be My Life Jacket

“Why’d you have to bring the new meat to the table?”

I watched out the window as my new home slowly came into view. Beside me was my suitcase, which consisted of a few sets of clothes and other basic essentials. My aunt and uncle had insisted on buying the rest, much to my dismay.

“We’re here, honey.” My aunt May announced cheerily, turning around to face me with a brilliant smile.

I didn’t reply, getting out of their car and dragging my small suitcase behind me. I followed them up the front steps to their quaint little home. Once inside, I was bombarded with the smell cinnamon. And it was everywhere. Cinnamon sticks, candles, pinecones, and I even spotted a pack of cinnamon flavoured gum on the kitchen counter.

“Come on Mick, I’ll show you to your room.” My uncle Jeff said, placing a hand on my shoulder. He lead me up a flight of stairs, then down a hall until we reached a wooden door. “Make yourself at home. Don’t hesitate to ask if you need anything.” He added before he left.

I stared around my new room. The walls were white, the curtains a shade of light blue, and the bed sheets were the same colour. I dropped my suitcase to the ground with a thud, pulling my iPod out of my pocket. I put some My Chemical Romance on and went to lay in my bed. The unfamiliar scent filled my nose, making me feel even less at home than before. I mean sure, I’d stayed at my aunt and uncle’s house before. But that was when I knew I’d be returning to my parents in a couple of days.

I got in a comfortable position and closed my eyes. I soon fell asleep despite the time of day. The past week had taken so much out of me; I was physically and emotionally drained. I was tired of being depressed.

***

“I’d like to introduce our new student, Mick.” My English teacher, Mr. Matthews said, gesturing toward me.

Everyone’s head’s snapped in my direction. I received a few smiles, a few glares, and the rest just stared at me curiously.

I let my head hang low, trying to ignore all the eyes on me. I absolutely hated it when I had this much attention. It made me nervous.

Class went by fast, and it wasn’t long before the lunch bell rang.

I sprung up from my seat, collecting my books and shoving them into my bag. I zipped it up and exiting the classroom, I started off toward the lunch room. I spotted a sign with an arrow that pointed me in the direction of another sign with another arrow. I followed them until I finally reached my destination.

“Hey fag.” I heard someone say from behind me. I didn’t acknowledge them. “How are you liking the school?” I felt myself get pushed forward. I nearly lost my footing, but I balanced myself before I could fall.

“Josh, why don’t you stop being a dick?” I heard a feminine voice ask from behind me.

“Samantha, why don’t you stop telling me what to do?” The guy who I assumed was Josh asked.

“Stop harassing the new kid and I will.” She replied easily with a shrug.

I turned to face her. Her chestnut hair was tied into a loose bun, letting her bangs flow freely just above her eyebrows. She stood probably at about 5 foot, a hand placed sassily on her hip. Her icy blue eyes were glaring venomously at Josh.

“Whatever.” He replied angrily before stomping off with his friends.

“I’m Samantha, but you can call me Sam.” She said as she walked toward me.

“I’m Mick.” I replied, shaking the hand that she thrust in my direction eagerly.

“You should sit with me and my friends.” She suggested. “We won’t bite.”

“Okay.” I agreed.

We got our lunch, receiving many more curious glances from passersby.

“Everyone.” Samantha started as we sat down. “This is Mick.” She rested a hand on my shoulder while everyone eyed me.

“Why’d you have to bring the new meat to the table?” One of the guys complained. “I’m gonna get beat up for sure now.” He smiled, showing me that he was only kidding. “I’m Roderick, but I go by Rod.”

“And I’m Joseph.” Another boy spoke.

“I’m Holly.” The last girl introduced herself. I recognized her from Biology.

“Nice to meet you guys.” I said, putting on the best smile I could muster. Today had just been an all around awful day.

I watched as everyone engaged in idle conversation, talking about the weather, the latest football game on TV that I’d watched but never really understood, and the latest school gossip.
♠ ♠ ♠
Keep or kill? I've already got a few more chapters written, so if I get comments and stuff, I'll put another one up. But if not, I'll just wait a couple days. I'm going to try and update this story once a week. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

~Kylie