Be My Life Jacket

“I’m off duty tomorrow. Oh, and try not to drown this time.”

The next school day, we had an assembly. All the grades piled into the auditorium and chatted idly, waiting for it to start. I immediately found Sam and we sat together.

“Alright, boys and girls. Quiet down now.” The principal’s booming voice was heard.

Immediately there was pin-drop silence. I guessed the principal was really respected around here.

“Today, I’m here to talk about-,” he was cut of when suddenly the projecting screen started lowering. A video was displayed of me and Sam at Starbucks. Fuck me with a rake! That was when I confessed my questioning sexuality status to Sam.

The whole thing played out in front of us, we could be heard perfectly. A hot blush made it’s way to my cheeks as everyone’s head snapped in my direction.

Who would do this to me? I thought as I ran out of the auditorium and to my locker, grabbing all my stuff. As soon as I was out the door and into the clean, spring air, a hand came out of no where and stopped me from going any further.

“Mick, right?” A masculine voice said.

I looked over to be absorbed in a familiar pair of mocha colored eyes. Fuck me with an even bigger rake! It was Landon. He was leaning against the brick wall of the school lazily, his chocolaty brown hair being tossed around in the breeze. I almost gasped, he was so beautiful, but mentally slapped myself for the thought.

“Yeah.” I said, shakily, dropping my gaze.

“Let’s get some coffee.” He suggested. “We need to talk.”

“I don’t think that’s a good idea.” I said, starting to walk away.

“I’m gay, too.” He added. That was enough to make me stop and turn around.

“But-,”

“Just come with me.” He cut me off, motioning me to him.

I followed him to his car. It was pretty beat up, but once we got in and he turned it on, it purred just like new.

The ride to the coffee shop was silent and awkward. I kept stealing glances in his direction, hoping he wouldn’t notice. I couldn’t help it, the way his mocha eyes focused intensely on the road ahead of us. The way his arms flexed the tiniest bit when he turned the wheel. Even the way he blinked every time we stopped.

“We’re here.” He announced as we pulled into the parking lot of a little brick building with a sign that read ‘Reggie’s Coffee’.

I got out of his car and walked into the shop after him.

“Hey Landon. Ditching again?” One of the workers asked from behind the counter while handing a customer a white paper cup.

“Needed to get out.” He said simply as we sat down.

“Do you know everyone here?” I asked.

“Yeah. That was my older brother. He owns the shop.” He shrugged.

“Why did you bring me here?” I asked, cutting straight to the point.

“I just wanted to talk to you.” He explained. “And I thought you were kind of cute.” A smirk appeared on his face, his crooked teeth poking out, just like in my dream.

I blushed, ducking my head so he wouldn’t see.

“Come on, Mick. I saw the video. We all know that you like me.” He prodded. “I thought maybe we could give it a try.”

“I don’t want to give it a try.” I muttered.

“Ah, I get it. You’re new to this.” He said, making me look up. “I remember that phase.”

“Who’s your friend?” Landon’s brother asked, appearing at the table with two coffee cups.

“This is Mick.” Landon introduced. “Mick, this is Geoff.”

“Hi.” I replied meekly.

Once he’d left, I was alone with Landon again. I was so nervous and awkward feeling.

“So?” Landon asked, cocking a brow.

“What?” I asked.

“We should hang out sometime.”

“I…,” I tried to speak, but I wasn’t exactly sure what to say. He was right. I was new to this. I didn’t know how it worked.

“Beach. Tomorrow. Bring your bathing suit.” He commanded.

All I could do was stare.

“I’m off duty tomorrow. Oh, and try not to drown this time.” He snickered.

“I’m dating Sam.” I found the courage to say.

“We all know it’s just a façade.” He laughed. “You get picked on and then suddenly you have a girlfriend.” He cocked an eyebrow. “Not so convincing.”

“I guess I never thought of it that way.” I mumbled. That did make sense.
♠ ♠ ♠
I don't know. Not so sure about this chapter. What'd you think?

~Kylie