Be My Life Jacket

"Just because I'm gay, doesn't mean we get to have girl talk."

"So, what happened after you left?" Sam asked on our way to school, Thursday morning. "I was going to go after you, but I couldn't find you."

"I...well...," I faltered, searching for the right words. I decided to be blunt. "Landon insisted I get coffee with him." I told her, scratching the back of my sore head awkwardly.

I deemed myself ready to go back to school after a day of healing. I would have come back yesterday, had my aunt not insisted on my staying home.

"Tell me everything!" She squealed.

"Just because I'm gay, doesn't mean we get to have girl talk." I reprimanded, giving her a straight face.

"Oh, so you're definitely gay now?" She smirked.

"Did I just say that?" I asked. "I-I guess so."

"Now tell me everything that happened!" She demanded with a pout.

I used my mediocre story telling skills to retell everything that happened in the past two days, starting with the encounter with Landon after I exited the building and ending when he drove me home.

Sam's jaw dangled open by the time I was done, and by now we'd made it to the school. As soon as I stepped through the doors, all eyes were on me. My heart knocked itself violently against my ribcage again and again, causing me to nearly lose my breath when I remembered what happened on Monday.

I tried my best not to let it get to me, conversing with Sam about whatever I could think of, just to avert my attention. Suddenly a familar pair of eyes connected with mine, making my heart thud again. He bounded toward me with a grocery bag.

"You forgot these." He said, handing it to me. I opened it to find the shirt and pair of shoes I left at the beach.

"Thanks." I replied, smiling warmly at him.

Sam and I parted ways to our lockers.

"Wait." I heard Landon call from behind me. I turned around to face his mocha eyes. "I was wondering if you'd sit with me at lunch."

"I... um... sure?" I struggled.

"Great." He replied, smiling. I caught a glimpse of his crooked teeth poking out like I remembered and an involuntary smile slipped onto my face.

***

Many death glares, pointed giggles and whispers later, the bell rang, signaling lunch time.

I took my merry time walking to the lunch room, not wanted to get there before Landon. Once inside, he spotted me and waved frantically, beckoning me to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo...I'm posting this from my ipod, so it hasn't been run through spell check. But with all the nice things being said about this story, mainly from my friends on facebook, I figured I'd be nice and post another chapter. Plus, I'm starting school a week from today, so updates will be scarce!

~Kylie (: