Be My Life Jacket

“I just… don’t want you to get a ticket or you know, hit a cat.”

“Come with me.” Landon said, seemingly popping out of nowhere and grabbing my hand.

Without a protest, I followed along like a loyal puppy, willing him to release my hand. I wasn’t ready for the staring. It seemed as if all eyes were on us as we trekked through the halls.

“Where are we going?” I asked after we made it out the doors.

“My car, of course.” He replied.

“I- but- Sam and I are supposed to walk home together.” I stammered.

“You walk home with her every day.” He stated. “It’s my turn.”

“There’s no use driving. I live right over there.” I said, pointing to the sub division a bit down the road.

“I’m not taking you home straight away.” He explained. “Otherwise I’d walk you home.”

“Where are we going?” I asked, anxiety bubbling in my stomach. I hoped it wasn’t the beach again. Only bad things happened when Landon and I went to the beach.

“It’s a surprise.” He smirked, getting into the car. I followed suit, swinging my backpack into the back seat next to his.

“This is like kidnap.” I muttered.

“Then go.” He shrugged.

I reached back for my backpack, but his hand caught my arm.

“I didn’t really mean it.” He told me, disbelief rising to his face.

“Then why’d you say it?”

“So that it didn’t feel like kidnap.”

With that, he pressed down on the gas pedal, zipping out of the parking lot. I quickly buckled myself, staring out the window as trees whirred by. I pulled the seatbelt closer to myself; I’d never been in a speeding car before. I was a cautious driver, and so was almost everyone I knew.

“Landon.” I gasped as he ran a red light.

“What?” He asked, his face calm as he turned to look at me.

“Slow the fuck down!” I nearly shouted.

“Why?” He asked, a smirk playing at his lips. “Does it scare you?” I jolted back when he accelerated fiercely once more.

“No.” I lied, leveling my voice. “I just… don’t want you to get a ticket or you know, hit a cat.”

“Hit a cat?” He asked, arching a brow.

“I like cats. I’d appreciate it if you tried to not kill any in your mad rush to where ever the heck we’re going.

“I hate cats.” Landon replied, scrunching up his adorable face. “I’m allergic.”

“Well that’s not as bad as being allergic to chocolate.” I reasoned.

“You’re allergic to chocolate?” He asked, eyes flicking to mine.

“Sure am.” I replied.

“How allergic?” He asked.

“Well if I ate a little square of a sectioned chocolate bar, I’d have to go the hospital and get my stomach pumped.” I told him.

“Now you tell me.” He grumbled.

“Don’t tell me…,”

“I was going to take you on a tour of that new chocolate factory that they just built like 15 minutes away.” He sighed. “I even paid extra for a private tour.”

“I’ll be fine as long as I don’t eat any.” I shrugged. “We can still go.”

“Are you sure?” He asked, concern clear on his face.

“Yes.” I nodded.

“Positive?” He asked.

“Positive.” I confirmed. Although I wasn’t actually. But I figured I’d be fine. That’s what I always assumed. My parents never made me stay away from it, just never let me eat it once they found out about my allergy.

I grimaced at the thought of my parents. Their happy faces framed by the windshield as I unknowingly waved them off for the last time.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry this is really bad. But I've had really bad writer's block and school started, so sorry for the late update too. I'll try to update on the weekends. I'm not like one of those super writing people who can do like 20 pages on microsoft word every 4 days. Anyway, who do you think got the video and put it on the projection screen? Answer in the comments!

~Kylie