Be My Life Jacket

“It’s not rape if you like it.”

“What do you mean it’s stuck?” I cried, trying the door for myself. The handle didn’t budge.

“Just relax. I’m sure someone will be in here in a few hours.” Landon reasoned.

“A few hours?” I nearly shouted, staring at him in disbelief.

“It’s okay.” He assured, placing a hand on my shoulder, though I could tell he was grappling with fallacy himself. “Let’s just sit down and… find something to occupy ourselves.”

I slouched down against the wall next to him, thoughts running rampant. Who’d have thought that I’d be sitting next to a BOY, who I like, who is a year older than me and likes me too. Locked in a supply closet. Then the thought hit me, shock waves running through me. That’s what he meant about supply closets being good for some things. A shiver crawled down my spine.

I wasn’t ready for that yet.

“Okay.” I agreed, trying to level my voice. I didn’t want to give myself and my thoughts away.

“Do I make you uncomfortable?” Landon asked, his face going solemn.

“What do you mean?” I asked, my eyebrows scrunching.

“Well, you’re practically on the other side of the room.” He pointed out, motioning to the space between us. “And when I grabbed your hand earlier, it was all clammy.”

“Weren’t you uncomfortable at first?” I asked, avoiding the question.

“I guess. I’ll just have to show you how good this can be.” He smirked. “Now get over here.”

“I-,”

Landon grabbed me by the waist and pulled my to his side. I brought my knees to my chest, wrapping my arms around them while Landon wrapped his arm around my shoulder in favor of it’s earlier position. I tensed up a bit, but tried not to show my reaction.

“Calm down.” He chuckled, squeezing my shoulders. “I’m not going to rape you.” Then under his breath, “no matter how tempting that may be.”

“Maybe if you’d keep those things to yourself, I’d be a little less awkward around you.” I told him.

“Oh, I’m only kidding.” He sighed. “It’s not rape if you like it.”

“Subject change!” I announced. “Let’s play a game.”

“Did you have anything in mind?”

Something popped into my head. “The question game.” I replied. “We ask questions back and forth.” I explained.

“Okay. Why do you live with your aunt and uncle?” He asked.

I swallowed. “H-how did you know that I did?”

“Pretty much everyone knows. This is a small town.” He shrugged.

“I really don’t want to talk about it.” I admitted. “It’s not really something I like telling people.” I flashed back to when I told Sam and I saw the pity on her face. That wasn’t what I wanted though.

“Oh.” He said, looking straight ahead. “Favorite color?”

“Yellow.”

“Green.”

“Favorite ice cream flavor?”

“Vanilla.”

“Strawberry.”

We went on like this for what seemed like hours, not getting deeper than ’would you rather’ questions.

My head drooped along with my eyes until my head met Landon’s shoulder and I let myself drift off.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's so short! I'm having total writer's block on this story! But I just updated my teen pregnancy co-write...so you should go check that out. It's called Slap A Smile On And Call It Good.

~Kylie