Be My Life Jacket

“The question game?”

“Where you headed?” Sam asked, showing up at my locker at the end of the day.

“Home.” I answered with a ‘isn’t-that-kind-of-obvious?’ tone. She nodded her head, signaling me to go on. “Oh!” I nearly shouted, realizing my stupidity. “Maple street.” I answered with a chuckle.

“No way.” Her eyes widened. “I know where that is. I take that road to get home.”

“You want to… walk home with me?” I asked before I even knew what I was doing.

“Sure.” She chirped.

“Good, because I have no idea how to get out of here.” I laughed, making her laugh as well.

Once we’d made it outside, the warm spring air engulfed us in all it’s cheeriness. My nose was already starting to itch from the excess pollen in the air.

“How was your first day?” She asked, sounding absolutely sincere.

“Awful.” I admitted.

“Well hopefully tomorrow will go better.” She shrugged, looking up at me, as I was about a foot taller that she was.

“Yeah.” I agreed. “But it probably won’t. You know the new kid always gets bullied.”

Her face dropped. “Well it’s just initiation I guess. It’ll be over soon.” She said. “At least you’re not a girl. Initiation from the girls at this school is like hell. Trust me.”

“Were you new?” I asked, genuinely curious.

“Yup.” She replied, popping the ‘p’.

“I wonder what else we have in common.” I wondered out loud. Maybe she was an only child too, or maybe her favourite colour was yellow as well.

“Well then lets play the question game.” She suggested with a slight smirk.

“The question game?” I enquired, brow quirked.

“I ask you a question and you answer it, then I answer it. Then you ask the question.”

I nodded in understanding.

“So.” She started, stroking her imaginary beard in thought. “I guess I’ll start with the cliché, basic questions that everyone asks. What’s your favourite colour?”

“Yellow.” I answered.

“Me too!” She squealed.

“Favourite food?” I asked, keeping the ‘game’ going.

“Meatloaf.” She answered with a giggle.

“That’s disgusting.” I commented, playfully pushing her. “Mine is pasta.”

We continued on like this until we reached my house. I found out that we actually had very little in common, but that didn’t mean we couldn’t be friends. Maybe we could open the other’s eyes to new things.

“So I’ll see you tomorrow?” She asked. “Maybe we could walk to school together tomorrow…?”

“Of course.” I replied without a second thought. “Give me your phone.” I commanded, holding out my hand.

She obeyed, handing me her phone. She watched my carefully, cocking a hip. I punched my number into her phone labeling it ‘New Kid’, before placing it back in her expectant hand.

“When should I be out of my house by?” I asked.

“Seven.” She replied. “I’ll text you when I get here.” She added, obviously having caught onto what I did to her phone.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sooo second chapter (: Like?

It'd mean so much if you'd comment and subscribe. But if not...that's cool too I guess xD I'm not going to force you to comment and subscribe for me to post chapters. They'll be up sooner or later either way.

~Kylie