Be My Life Jacket

“Okay. Micky, you don’t have to be in a relationship with someone to…,”

Landon’s POV:

As I lay in my hospital bed with Mick, I couldn’t help but let my mind wander. Thoughts clouded my mind, making it hard to concentrate on Mick’s warmth. His hand enveloping my own. His cinnamon scent filling my lungs. My favorite memory took over and I welcomed it.

*Flashback*

“Alright man, I’m about to take off.” I told Johnny, the other lifeguard. “You can take over.”

“On it.” He said, starting to walk over to the lifeguard chair.

A strangled cry filled the air followed by violent splashing. One look at the boy who was making the commotion and I was off, sprinting and pushing Johnny out of the way. People gathered around as I pulled the dirty blonde out of the water and dragged him into the sand.

I pushed on his chest like they taught us in Life Guard Training to get the water out. I gave him mouth to mouth and pushed on his chest again, repeating the process. I felt the warmth coming back to his frail body before pulling away to left him cough up the rest of the water he’d inhaled. He opened his beautiful baby blues and I was off.

I almost felt kind of ashamed mixing pleasure with business, but no one would ever know. If Johnny asked about it, I’d just tell him that I figured I could get to the boy faster than him.

*End of Flashback*

I sighed wistfully, scooting myself closer to Mick’s sleeping form. His deep breathing was comforting, warming the back of my neck with each breath. I savored the moment, knowing we wouldn’t have many more like this.

I refused treatment. I knew it would just be a costly way to let me live just a little longer and I couldn’t do that to my parents. I was glad I’d end my life like this though; with an amazing boyfriend who was too cute for his own good. I felt guilty about it though. Mick was such a sweetheart, he didn’t deserve this.

The door creaked open, making me wish that either I’d gotten a different room or that they’d oil the fudging hinges. I felt Mick stirring, unclasping my hand. I grabbed his tighter so he wouldn’t let go.

“It’s nice to see you again, Landon.” A familiar voice drifted from the doorway as Mick scrambled to get up. “Although certainly not under the circumstances.” Then she turned to Mick and told him, “And you’re fine. You two are adorable. I’m only going to be a second.”

Mick got up anyway, coming to sit in the seat in front of my bed. I could see the embarrassment on his rosy cheeks, eyes cast downward as Lisa refilled my IV and made sure it was still connected correctly. She was my regular nurse whenever I came. We were pretty close.

“Feel better.” She commanded with a wave as she exited.

“Sorry.” He apologized. “I fell asleep.”

“I know.” I shrugged. “It was nice.”

“I- it was?” He asked, cheeks going redder. “I’ve never been in a serious relationship before.” He admitted.

“You want to know something?” I asked, capturing his attention as he looked up from his shoes. “Neither have I.”

A grin spread across his face, but it slowly faded. “How come? You had to have dated another guy. You said that it was awkward your first time too.”

“Yes, Mick.” I chuckled. “My first time.” I emphasized, hoping he’d get the point.

“I don’t understand…,” he shook his head.

I rubbed my forehead, not wanting to explain this. “Okay. Micky, you don’t have to be in a relationship with someone to…,” I trailed off, giving a pelvic thrust.

Recognition dawned on his face before that deep shade of red rose to his face again. “Oh.” He mumbled.

“I’m happy with the way we are though. Like I said earlier, it’s nice.” I shrugged. “I don’t feel pressured to do…anything I don’t want to. And I certainly don’t want you to.”

“You haven’t made me feel that way at all.” He shook his head, strands up golden hair falling into his eyes.

“You should probably be home.” I said suddenly, realizing he should. “You need to eat something and your parents are probably worried.”

A pained look came across his face. “I’m sure they aren’t. I don’t even think they can worry where ever they are.”

“What do you mean?” I asked, eyebrows scrunching together. “Are your parents away?”

“My parents are…,” he swallowed. “Dead.” He looked so vulnerable I wanted to hop out of my hospital bed and comfort him.
♠ ♠ ♠
So~! Isn't Mick adorable? I know he's my character and all, but I just want him all to myself (: Although...he is 3 years older. Oh well! Anyway... comments are appreciated~! They help me update faster ;D Thanks to everyone who's commented. *Gives everyone who has commented an internet cookie*

~Kylie