Be My Life Jacket

“Mick’s got a girlfriend!”

The next few weeks went by in the same pattern. Wake up, walk to school with Sam, get bullied every five minutes, then walk home with Sam. The bullying hadn’t lightened in the slightest, as Sam assumed.

“Me and a couple of my friends are going to the beach tomorrow. I was wondering if you could come.” Sam said as we exited the school building Friday afternoon.

“I don’t know. I think my aunt probably has some chores for me to do…,” I lied, horrified of socializing.

“But Mick!” She whined. “You’re my bestest friend. If you’re not going, then I’m not going.” She stopped in her tracks, crossing her arms. “I need you to survive my friends.”

“Well you did it just fine before I came here.” I argued.

“Well it wasn’t until you came that I realized what a real friend was really like.” She whispered.

“Don’t get all sappy on me, just because I don’t want to- erm…can’t go to the beach with you.” I said, stopping to face her. “Girls.” I mumbled under my breath begrudgingly before I turned around and started walking again.

It wasn’t long before she caught up and we forgot about the whole conversation.

“So, why do you live with aunt and uncle?” She asked, taking her first stab at small talk in a while.

“Long story.” I replied, not wanting to tell her what happened. I didn’t want her to treat me any differently, or have to feel like she has to tip-toe around certain subjects to spare my feelings.

“Well I’ve got time.” She giggled, replying with the almighty cliché response.

“I’ll tell you some other time, okay?” I said as we reached my driveway.

“Fine.” She grumbled. “But you’d better hug me.” She added, extending her arms and grabbing the air.

“Okay.” I sighed playfully, wrapping my arms around her before quickly pulling away.

“See you tomorrow.” She said with a wave before leaving.

I walked up the driveway, content that I had a friend. I’d had a few at my old school, but they weren’t as nice or funny as Sam. They never invited me anywhere, and none were very attractive either.

I walked through the door, greeted by the scent I’d become so used to in my month here. Cinnamon. I inhaled deeply as I slipped my shoes off, leaving them on the designated rug by the door.

I ran up to my room, dropping my backpack off before going into the kitchen to help my struggling aunt with dinner. She was trying to strain the noodles she was making, but the pot was so heavy.

Without a word, I grabbed a pair of oven mitts off the counter, slipping them on and grabbing the pan from my aunt. I poured the noodles into the strainer in the sink before picking it up and jiggling it to get as much water out as possible.

It wasn’t like I didn’t have a hard time lifting the pot, just not as hard a time as my aunt, and I suspected she was about to drop it. I didn’t really have any muscles; I was a tall, skinny kid. A bit gorpy, but once I’d gotten my braces off, and got contacts it got a lot better.

“Thanks.” My aunt said, sighing in relief as I plopped the noodles back into the pot and put it back on the stove.

“Welcome.” I mumbled, leaning against the counter as I watched her dump the sauce into the pot.

“Who’s that girl you were talking with?” She asked bluntly.

“My friend.” I replied.

“Just a friend?” She questioned dubiously.

“Just a friend.” I confirmed.

“Then why did you hug her?” She turned to face me, hand on her hip.

“She asked for a hug.” I shrugged. It really wasn’t a big deal and I didn’t see the need for her to be in my business. So what if she was my girlfriend? I’m almost 17.

“Say what you want…,” she mumbled tauntingly.

“A boy and girl can be friends, and it means nothing.” I huffed, growing irritated.

“I know.” She replied, sticking a wooden spoon into the pasta to mix the sauce in.

“You sure?” I questioned jokingly. “Sam and I are just friends.”

“I got it, honey.” She said, gathering 3 plates from the cupboard and setting them on the counter. I went into the silverware drawer, grabbing 3 forks and knives. I helped my aunt dish the pasta onto the dishes before bringing everything over, including the gallon of milk and 3 glasses, to the table.

“So what were you guys talking about?” She asked.

“Nothing really. She wanted me to go the beach with her and some friends tomorrow, so I just told that I had some chores to do. I don’t really want to go.” I said.

“You don’t want to go? Why not?” She asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

“Socializing isn’t really my thing.” I shrugged. “And I’m not exactly a swimsuit model, if you hadn’t noticed.”

“What does it matter if you’re with your friends?”

“Not my friends. Her friends.” I corrected.

“You’re going.” She insisted.

“No I’m not.” I argued.

“Yes you are. Or you’re…grounded.” She said, raising her head victoriously.

“Fine.” I grumbled. “I’ll tell Sam later tonight.”

“How was your day?” My uncle asked as we all sat down to eat.

“Mick’s got a girlfriend!” My aunt squealed, cutting me off, before shooting me a secretive look.

I let my head fall into my hands in embarrassment and frustration.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope your liking the story so far. And if you're not...well then you can suck my big...toe. xD Thanks for reading (:

~Kylie