Be My Life Jacket

“And you’re not a fruit. You’re just…Mick.”

“Here’s some pants and a shirt.” I said, handing said items to Sam before ushering her into the bathroom in my room. I grabbed a pair of boxers, some pants, and a shirt while I waited for the bathroom to be rid of Sam.

She emerged a few minutes later looking utterly adorable, drowning in my over sized t-shirt and sweatpants.

“You can have the bed.” I told her. “I’ll just sleep on the couch downstairs.”

“Are you sure?” She asked.

“Positive.” I confirmed. “And I’m going to tell my aunt and uncle that I just fell asleep watching TV. Then if you want to hang out tomorrow, I just tell them that you came over once you wake up.”

“I like that plan.” She admitted, playing with the hem of her borrowed shirt. “And I’ll just tell my parents that I spent the night at a friend’s house.”

I nodded and took my turn in the bathroom, shedding my swim trunks and replacing them with my boxers and pants. Slipping my shirt on, I exited the bathroom to find Sam already asleep on my bed, looking peaceful as ever.

I flipped the light off before I left, closing the door behind me. I tip-toed down to the living room and switched the TV on so my alibi would be believable. I got comfy, throwing the blanket that had been draped over the back of the couch, over myself.

I closed my eyes, drifting off to the fake audience laughter of the sitcom that’d been left on.

I looked down at my hand to see it encased by another. A masculine one. Looking up, I saw an all too familiar face. The lifeguard who saved me. The one with the soft lips.

We were walking down the beach together while our hands swung between us. I could feel the wet sand squishing between my toes as we walked further. The sun was setting, creating a romantic scene right out of the movies.

A swarm of butterflies was let loose in my stomach when he stopped, halting me along with him, due to our interlocked hands, and pulled my face into his, crushing our lips together. It was a sweet, passionate kiss. One I never imagined I’d ever share with a man. But I was. And I was enjoying more than I should have.

When he pulled away, his lips turned into an adorable smile, his crooked teeth peeking out. Normally, that would have been a turn off, but it was just so fucking adorable on him!

We sat down together in the sand and he wrapped a muscled arm around my bony frame as we watched the sunset together. Every once in a while he’d kiss my cheek and whisper something incoherent into my ear, sending shivers down my spine.


I was woken up to the sound of my aunt and uncle talking loud and animatedly while walking down the stairs. I cracked an eye open, morning light streaming in through the windows.

“Well good morning, sunshine!” My uncle greeted.

“G’morning.” I replied less enthusiastically.

“Why aren’t you in your bed?” My aunt asked, placing a hand on her pajama clad hip.

“I fell asleep watching TV.” I lied.

“Did you get home late last night?” She asked.

“Like 11.” I answered.

“Good boy.” She cooed, patting my head jokingly. “Did you have a good time?”

“The best.” I lied again.

“And you didn’t consume anything…alcoholic, did you?” My uncle chimed in sternly.

“No sir.” I said, mock-saluting him.

“It was nice of you to sneak Samantha in, so her parents didn’t find out she got drunk, but you don’t have to hide it from us next time.” My aunt added before following my uncle into the kitchen.

I ran a hand across my face sleepily before getting up to get Sam because it seemed the cat was already out of the bag.

***

A few hours later, at a little coffee shop we found, Sam sat across from me, sipping her coffee thoughtfully.

“So, do you have your eye on anyone these days?” She asked, cutting through the silence.

I stayed quiet for a moment, contemplating my response. She was onto me.

“I saw Jennifer go over and talk to you at the beach, but it didn’t seem like you liked her all that much.” She added.

“I-,” I cut myself off. I shouldn’t lie to Sam. She’d been there for me for almost 4 weeks now. But should I really tell her about something that I wasn’t even sure about? Maybe this was just a phase. I had to tell her though. I was positive she’d tell me. “Can you keep a secret?” I asked sincerely.

“Of course!” She squealed. “As long as you aren’t an ex-murderer. I can’t say as though I could keep that to myself.” Her eyebrows knit together.

“It’s not that bad.” I chuckled. “I just think I need someone to talk to, and I don’t really know if my aunt or uncle is the right person.”

“Go on.” She said, looking almost excited for me to spill my guts.

“I-I think I’m gay.” I mumbled.

“Aw!” She crooned. “It’s okay. Don’t look so embarrassed.”

“But I am embarrassed.” I argued. “I’m scared. I don’t want to be different. I don’t want people thinking of me as less of a man than they already do.”

“It’s nothing to be ashamed of.” She shrugged. “Can you keep a secret?”

“Well even if I can’t, you have something on me.” I chuckled, lightening my own mood.

“I have two dads.” She told me.

“Yeah, a lot of people have divorced parents and a step-dad.” I said. That wasn’t much of a secret.

“No.” She laughed. “I was adopted by a homosexual couple. I have two dads.” She explained.

“Oh.” Was all I could force out.

“In some ways, it’s kind of cool. But in others, I almost wish I had straight parents. But I’d like to think I’m a stronger person for having to endure my different childhood.” She smiled. “It’s okay to be gay, Mick.” She added in a whisper.

“Well I’m not sure if I am yet.” I said, my face heating. “I just think I am.”

“What made you think that?” She asked, looking sincere.

“I…I liked it when that lifeguard gave me mouth-to-mouth. And then last night I dreamed that we had a romantic night on the beach.” I explained, my cheeks turning redder as I went. “I feel like such a fruit.” I groaned.

“Oh, Landon!” She said in recognition. “And you’re not a fruit. You’re just…Mick.”

“You know him?” I asked.

“Well he’s in the grade above us, but yeah. He’s in our lunch.” She nodded.

“Let’s just drop it, okay?” I pleaded.

“Drop what?” She asked with a smile, as if she’d already forgotten.
♠ ♠ ♠
Ooooh! He admitted it. I hope you liked this chapter.

Comment & subscribe?

~Kylie <3