Be My Life Jacket

“What happened to your face?”

“So you really are a fag!” I heard a familiar voice shout from behind me, on my way to my lunch table. Josh. “I called it, didn’t I, Henry?”

“Sure did.” Another masculine voice, Henry’s I assumed, chuckled.

“I’m not gay.” I argued with as much ferocity as I could muster, turning around to face them.

“Denial.” Josh stated. “The first stage.”

“Think what you want.” I shrugged. “I know what the truth is.”

“I don’t think you do.” Henry spat.

I felt my whole body get hot with anger. I was trying to keep my cool. My fist was clenched, and I had the sudden urge to swing it at anything in my path. But instead, I turned around and kept walking, my eyes set on Sam who was giggling at our table.

I felt my arm get tugged back, and I turned around, only to have a fist collide squarely with my jaw. I recoiled, holding my jaw in my hands.

I could feel the tension grow more and more with the silence and attention.

“What the hell?” I gasped.

Josh shrugged as he and Henry exited the lunch room. I decided to stay triumphant, releasing my jaw and walking over to sit by Sam.

“Are you okay?” She asked worriedly, ghosting her fingers over my wounded jaw.

“I’m fine.” I lied, staring down at my hands, folded neatly in my lap.

“You don’t look fine.” She observed. “It’s already starting to bruise. We should get you some ice.”

“I’m fine.” I tried to assure her.

“Are you sure?” She asked, eyebrows knitting together in concern.

“I’m fine.” I said, pushing her hand away from my face softly. “Don’t worry about me.”

***

“What happened to your face?” My aunt gasped the minute I walked through the door.

“Nothing. I-I tripped and hit my face on a rock.” I lied horribly, sliding out of my shoes. I was about to take of for my room when my uncle grabbed my arm.

“You’re as bad at lying as your mom.” He stated, pulling me back off the stairs. “Tell us was really happened."

I sighed. It wasn’t going to do me any good lying. “I got punched at school today.” I admitted, looking down at my feet.

“By who?” My uncle growled. “I’m calling their parents.”

“No.” I groaned. “Then I’ll be known as the kid who’s uncle fights all their fights for them.”

“I’m sure that won’t happen.” He argued.

“Honey, he’s old enough to make hold his own.” My aunt chimed in, placing a hand on his shoulder.

“Fine.” He said releasing my arm. “But you’d better punch back next time.” He said, cracking a smile.

“How do you know I didn’t fight back this time?” I inquired.

He raised an eyebrow at me.

“Okay. I didn’t.” I laughed.

I ran up to my room before anyone could say anything else.

I dropped my back pack off and plopped down in the new computer chair my Aunt and Uncle had gotten me. Opening up my lap top, I logged into facebook. I had 20 notifications stating that people had commented on a photo of me. Curious at which photo was causing such a response, I clicked the notification and I was faced with an unfamiliar picture.

It was Landon giving me mouth to mouth. Someone must have taken it when I wasn’t looking.

I scrolled down to read the comments, though I wish I hadn’t. Every single one was calling me or Landon a bad name. I wanted to retaliate, but I knew that’d only make things worse.
♠ ♠ ♠
I got a comment and a new subscriber, so I decided to be nice and post another chapter! I'm going to try to keep doing that for as long as I can. Hope you liked it!

Comment & subscribe?

~Kylie <3