Be My Life Jacket

“Gag me.”

The next morning, Sam and I walked into school holding hands. I even gave her a kiss on the cheek before we parted ways to our lockers just to ham it up.

“See you later.” I said with a smile.

“Bye.” She waved flirtatiously.

I walked to my locker smiling, head held up high in victory. A few people had stared at us like it was a miracle, and others a bit dubiously. Like they knew we were faking.

The rest of the day, Sam and I sent secretive smiles to each other in the classes we shared.

Lunch was the best of all.

I slumped down next to Sam and wrapped an arm around her shoulder with a smirk.

“Hey you.” Sam smiled.

“Hey.” I smiled back broadly.

“Gag me.” Holly pleaded, her face disgusted.

“Gladly.” Rod replied with a wink.

“Gross!” She exclaimed.

“I was only kidding.” He laughed, ruffling her hair as her face turned bright red.

“We get that you guys are together. You don’t have to be so lovey about it.” Joseph spoke.

“Well it’s about time they’re together.” Rod chuckled. “We all knew this was going to happen sooner or later.”

“Yeah.” Holly agreed.

“So I guess the rumors aren’t true.” Joseph chimed in again.

“I wonder who started them.” I wondered aloud.

“Probably someone who has something against you.” Sam shrugged.

“Who could possibly have anything against me?” I asked, eyebrows furrowed. “I just moved here.”

“I’m sure we’ll find out sometime.” Rod reasoned.

***

The walk home from school was nearly silent, so I decided it was a good time to tell Sam about my parents, especially with all that she’d shared with me in the past week. I couldn’t keep it from her much longer, and I didn’t see a reason too. I was ready to talk about it.

“My parents drown last month.” I blurted.

She stopped walking and turned to face me. “What?”

“My parents went camping, but I didn’t want to come, so I stayed home. Next thing I know, I’m getting a call from the police saying that a couple found my parents drowning but couldn’t help them, so obviously they called the police. Their bodies still haven’t been found yet.” I explained trying to keep any emotion out of my face.

“I-I’m so sorry.” She said, and her eyes told me she was telling the truth.

“I didn’t tell you so you’d feel sorry for me. I told you because you wanted to know why I lived with my aunt and uncle. And after everything you’ve shared with me this past week, I didn’t feel it was right to keep it from you.” I said as we started to walk again.

“I don’t know what to say.” She said, looking down at her feet.

“They don’t say anything.” I shrugged.

“I just wish there was something I could do.”

“Just keep being an amazing friend.” I smiled, wrapping an arm around her shoulders.

“You too. You’ve helped me through more than you know.” She said, smiling back.

“My Aunt and Uncle really like you by the way.” I told her, changing the subject before things got too sappy. Just because I was questioning my sexuality didn’t make me any less of a man. I didn’t do sappy.

“Should we…tell them about…us?” She asked, struggling to find the right words.

“It’s not them we’re trying to convince.” I said.

“True.” She stated, stroking her imaginary beard, which I noticed her doing quite regularly. “It’s up to you.”

“Maybe later.” I said as we reached my driveway.

With one parting glance, I started down my dive way.

“I want to introduce you to my dads.” She shouted after me suddenly, making me jump. I hadn’t realized she was still there.

“It’s a date.” I replied, smirking a the pun.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you liked it! Thanks for reading. And I would really, really appreciate it if you'd comment. This story only has two comments so far! I really want more comments and more subscribers, but I'm not going to get on my knees and plead until I look like a moron.

Comment & subscribe?

~Kylie <3