‹ Prequel: Weapon of Choice
Status: Completed!

Inside Your Eyes

Bring Back the Past

My foot stayed on the gas. At this point, I didn't care if I got in a wreck or ran someone over. I tried to talk myself out of being so reckless. Men do things like that. I mean, it's not like you were an item or something...we just spent all that fucking time together. I became a criminal for him and chose to leave a life that would probably be happier than this. I grimaced and slammed on the breaks.

There he was, that Fox guy, making his way down the steps of the police station to his car, that smirk still on his face from the drug bust that took place before. The first thought to my mind was that he was the one observing my interrogation.

This man...he needs to be taught a lesson. Should I kill him? then a plan entered my brain If I try to kill him, I will be shot down by the police. The thought of him will never come to my mind again! Sweet serenity will wash over me, and I'll be taken over to the other side. Anything that awaits there will be better than this feeling of hate, anger, and...sadness!

I got out of my car, knife in hand. I made a beeline toward him. At first he didn't notice my advance, but soon he spied me and started to back away. "How'd you get back so quickly?"

"A female's intuition," I raised the knife up to my face.

I lunged at him. He tried to block me, but I was too fast. I had the knife pressed against his jugular in a flash, "Now listen to me...you don't have to do this."

"And why is that?" I kept an eye out for the gathering police.

"Because this isn't the life you want."

"Sure it isn't."

"No, I know this isn't what you want. There's still a chance for you to..."

"Hands up! Step away from the hostage!" three cops had guns pointed at me.

"No! You're gonna have to shoot me!"

"Let him go or we will!"

"Try me!" I pressed the knife harder against his skin, a trickle of blood sliding down his throat.

The middle cop pulled the trigger. I closed my eyes, waiting for pain or even a white light.

Nothing.

I slid open my right eye, "Black? Am I dead?"

"No," I felt a blunt blow to my head. As I hit the ground, I saw his face. A bat's silhouette, but a man''s body.

Batman had saved me from a gunshot, but why? I fell unconscious.

"You alright Fox?"

"Yes, you sure about this one? She almost killed me."

"Yes," he took my body and, using one of his gadgets, flew off.

*****************************************************************

My mind surfaced and I was alert again. Keeping my eyes closed, I listened for police chatter, the slamming of cells, or even checking for the faint smell of coffee. All I was greeted by was the smell of rotting outdoors, must, and a constant flapping noise Where am I?

"She's awake. Her arm just twitched and the muscles in her face tightened."

I heard footsteps walk away An accomplice?, "Why do you have me here?" I shot my most horrifying/angry look at him, ignoring that I was seemingly in an underground cavern.

"You saved my life, so I will save yours."

I sat up, "Wait wait, you first spread around that I was dead!"

"Maya is dead. The character the media made you out to be no longer exists."

I hated his logic. "Well...anyway, then you just saved me from gunfire! Why would you risk everything for me? I'm on virtually every 'wanted' list. I fought and hurt you many times-"

"Yes, but you never killed me."

"Are you trying to use me for blackmail against the Joker?" That'd be the only reason why!

"No, I want you to get your life back." He handed me a folded piece of paper.

I unfolded it to see the letter I had written, "You didn't ever deliver it," I crumpled it up and threw it on the floor, "How do you expect me to just start over?"

He picked it up, "There's a press conference tomorrow in the City Hall," I saw him take out a lighter and set the letter of fire, "I expect you to be there."

"What? Just show up and beg for mercy in front of thousands."

"You can figure it out," he slid off my wig and I felt a prick on my arm.

I looked down to see a syringe, "What is your plan..." the walls got wavy and I fell into his arms.

"To make things the way they were."