‹ Prequel: Weapon of Choice
Status: Completed!

Inside Your Eyes

Statement of Truth

I locked the door to my stall and began dressing This whole thing is turning out well...too well to be normal. How am I an exception to Batman if every other felon gets beaten and turned in? I mean I let him go from the Joker's place, but I made myself into a monster afterwords. This isn't typical for him at all. The whole thing with Bruce just so happening to be here is another topic. I mean, Alfred came with some of my old clothes, a designer dress at that. "Freakin' Gucci floral dress...I could sew this for pennies on the dollar." I slipped on the dress and Jimmy Choo pumps.

I looked in the mirror and smoothed my natural hair poof with the brush. Natural curls formed and I applied a small amount of makeup. Funny, this doesn't feel so heavy on my face. That mask I had to paint on was a pain to get off... I started to chuckle but stopped What am I doing? My heart began to ache again, a feeling I didn't appreciate at all. I was feeding myself lies. The Joker isn't capable of love, or any emotion remotely like it. A tear fell from my eye to the bottom of the sink.

I snapped my sense back into my brain Crying will solve nothing! I have a second chance at the life I used to have. A second chance at Bruce even... My mind weaved in and out of different memories with him You know, I wonder if they somehow work together? No normal man could afford or make those different gadgets Batman always carries around. Maybe they have some sort of agreement. I thought on it a little more Such things don't happen in this world. Trust is a rare emotion to possess, and neither seem really capable of dealing with each other. I shook my head and grabbed the purse, leaving the hospital gown in the trash.

"Hey, sorry I took so long. Beauty takes a while."

"Do not apologize for something like that," Alfred said, "Besides, I think you're beautiful without all that on your face."

I smirked, "Thanks Alfred. Can I ask you a question?"

He nodded.

"Why did you have my clothes on hand?"

"I thought that'd cross your mind. Turns out today we were planning on donating your clothes to charity. Master Wayne has gone through a long grieving process, but today the press conference was to make the politicians get involved."

"Wow, how crazy is it that I'm here, huh?"

"Very. I can hardly believe it myself. Yesterday you were dead, but today you come back to life."

I would say it's the other way around... "Well, they say people get second chances. Maybe I was lucky."

"I guess we'll have to take this all back," he looked at the various clothes delivery men had started wheeling in, "You will be staying with us, will you not?"

I pretended to think, "I'm not sure," I giggled, "I guess it's all up to Bruce. Right now I'm flying by the seat of my pants."

Alfred opened the door to the conference room, "Good luck Maya."

I took in a deep breath and walked to the mayor. He looked at me from the corner of his eye. The camera was rolling, this conference was live. "Today we gathered to donate the beloved Maya Conway's clothing, and other belongings left behind, to charity. It seems though, that a woman has shown up claiming to be Maya Conway. She also says that she was sent here by Batman, Gotham's savior," He took a deep sigh, "Though I am not entirely sure about this, Mr. Bruce Wayne has agreed to postpone this event until we are certain if she is or is not the real thing," he waved his hand toward me, "I now present the alleged Maya Conway."

I could hear the scattered gasps and claps made. Whether they were for me or sheer amazement that Bruce believed I was the crazy woman in the hospital gown was beyond me. I stepped up to the podium, "What am I supposed to say?" I whispered to the Mayor.

"A statement of the truth."

"Ah," I faced the microphone Like you politicians ever do that. I thought for a minute, not quite sure what to say, "Today some saw me as just another crazy lady running through the streets, and I don't blame you. I would've thought the same thing," I heard various chuckles, "The truth is...that I am Maya Conway. The hospital has taken a DNA test that will be finished in two weeks."

"How did you end up in the hospital?" a reporter asked.

"I'm not sure...the whole night is a blur to me."

"What was life like when you were lost?"

"I'd rather not remember at this time."

I saw Daniel raise his hand, "On behalf of Mainstay Magazine and the other people of Gotham, I just want to say we're glad to have you back."

"Thank you Daniel," I gave him a smile, "Now if you'll excuse me, I have some catching up to do with an old friend," I looked at Bruce who was standing at the back of the room, "He needs to know how much he meant to me while I was gone."