‹ Prequel: Weapon of Choice
Status: Completed!

Inside Your Eyes

Fragility

I couldn't believe it. I was sitting in the back of a limo next to Bruce as if the last seven months hadn't happened. It was like some strange fairy tale had come true, "Bruce?" He turned, "What makes you so sure that it's me?"

"Aside from gut feeling, you have a very unmistakable scar on your leg."

"How'd you know I had that? I've never worn anything short enough for others to see..."

"Correction, you've never worn anything in public that short. Remember the first night you spent at my house?"

"Yes...I doubted you would."

"Well, I did. You have very skimpy pajamas Ms. Conway."

I chuckled, "You haven't lost your charm I see."

"It's a very valuable asset."

The limo slowed and I gazed out the window, "Are we in a graveyard?"

"Yes, I usually come here to remember."

"Remember what?"

"Everything that happened in the past year."

Lisa... "Can I come?"

"Of course. I partially came here today because of you. I doubt you have seen her grave yet."

"No I haven't..." he took my hand and led me up a hill to a twin set of graves, "I never thought I'd live to see my own grave." I knelt down and took a hard look at the stone:

Maya Conway
Loving Friend Until the End
1986-2008


I turned my sight to Lisa's:

Lisa Leston & Son
Loving Mother and Friend
1987-2008


A tear slid down my cheek, "I did it Lisa," I sniffled, "I'm here. I made it."

*******************************************************

Before I knew it the visit was over. Bruce had laid a bouquet of flowers on her grave, and led me back to the limo. He claimed that staying there too long would cause attachment. I didn't argue because I'd had attachment to the grave site of my mother before.

We pulled up to the familiar Wayne estate. It was as if nothing had changed. The landscaping was the same. When we went inside the decor was the same, down to the last lamp and dinner set, "Have you ever redecorated?"

"I try to keep things the same. This way I know where things are, and am sure where it's at."

I shrugged, "Whatever. It's your house anyway."

Dinner was readied and the three of us sat there. The sun was sinking behind the horizon as I ate, "So what now?"

"What do you mean?" Bruce asked.

I slammed my fork down, "Do we just erase the last few months? No question of where I have been or anything? My mind has been racing all day wondering if I am dreaming all this or if I died last night and just don't know I'm dead!"

"I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I thought you wouldn't want to talk about the last few months."

"I don't...but aren't you curious? Aren't you scared of having a severely psychologically wounded woman in your house?"

"I wasn't aware you were wounded. Would you like a Shrink?"

"No! I want to know why everything is normal!"

Bruce's cell phone rang. He lifted a finger to silence me as he answered, "Hello? Yes. I'll be there as soon as possible. Bye," he shut the phone, "I'm sorry but this conversation will have to take place later. I have been called to the office and may not be back for a while." He stood up, "If you wish to carry on this, Alfred will be more than happy to answer whatever you ask."

I looked over at Alfred whose face stayed the same, but his eyes flashed with a bit of fear and frustration, "I will also help you move in Maya," Alfred added sweetly.

"Oh...yes..." I slumped down in my chair, "Goodbye Bruce."

"See you in the morning Maya."

"Yeah..." I had flown from one cage and somehow got into another. The walls may be freshly painted, but a cage is a cage. I was still greatly indebted to this man, it'd be wrong to run. Am I so fragile that I have to depend on others this much?