‹ Prequel: Weapon of Choice
Status: Completed!

Inside Your Eyes

She's Mine!

The next day, I woke up to Alfred knocking on the door, "Would you like some breakfast Maya?"

I rubbed the sleep from my eyes and gazed at the clock, "9 a.m.? Uh, sure Alfred. I'll be down in a minute."

"Nonsense," he opened the door holding a tray with eggs, bacon, and some toast, "I think for all you've been through, you should have breakfast in bed."

"Oh," the tray was set on my lap, "Thank you..." I took a piece of toast, "It's been a while since I've had any sort of treatment like this."

"I bet," Bruce came in the doorway, "Now I have heard that someone wants a job and to be independent."

"Oh yes, it was a topic of conversation last night between Alfred and I. What, have you already found one?" I joked.

"Turns out I need a new assistant."

"What?" some of the eggs slipped off my fork.

"I caught her drinking on the job, so it's open if you'd like to apply..."

"You assistant conveniently broke the rules and got fired...this is oddly timed."

Joker's POV

It had been a week, a week since she left. Is she dead? Probably not...maybe in the mad house? I paced back and froth between the walls of my room.

You know that I'm not dead or in the asylum. Too smart.

"I don't want to hear you right now!"

"I never said anything..." that girl Cordelia was always sneaking around my room. Ever since the kiss she had stuck to me like glue.

"I don't want to hear you either."

"Well, I know something that doesn't require any talking," she smiled slyly at me.

Someone knocked, "Uh, boss?"

"What?" I was relieved yet frustrated at the same time.

"You may want to see this."

I walked to the main room, "What is it?" my anger was clear in my voice.

The T.V. was on. After Maya left, Batman had found out about the previous hideout and forced us to move to a sewer. A static television screen was finally getting a little reception down here, "We saw this when they were going over events from the past week." One of the men turned up the volume on the T.V.

"Tonight I am with one of the nurses that treated this Jane Doe. As many of you know, she made quite a stir the other day by causing crashes and mayhem on her way to the press conference in City Hall." She turned to the nurse, "What is your opinion of this woman? Do you think she is in fact Maya Conway?"

The nurse shuffled in her seat, "Well, she certainly left like a mad woman. Nothing I said could calm her down. Now I didn't know Ms. Conway personally, but a woman with such a clean record wouldn't do anything like that. She seemed calm and obedient most of the time to me. If you ask, I think she was done away with shortly after captured."

"So this shocking resemblance," the interviewer held up a past photo of Maya and a photo taken while she was unconscious in a hospital bed, "hasn't phased you at all?"

"No, it's a hoax!" she folded her arms, "I think someone figured they could pass as her."

"So what do you say about Mr. Bruce Wayne taking her in so easily?" the camera view switched to Maya leaving the press conference with Bruce, "Don't you think he would know who she is? I mean they did live in the same house for a while."

"A publicity stunt."

"Well," the anchor turned to the camera, "It seems not everyone is sold on this story of Maya Conway returning. We will now take callers to see the public's view on this. Caller one, you're on the air."

"I think this could be the real Maya Conway. I mean, the resemblance is uncanny and her desperate move is reasonable to me. I think I would've done the same if I was held captive for seven months."

"Well said, caller two?"

"Complete bull! This crazy lady is just looking for her fifteen minutes of fame!"

"Well played."

I swiped the nearest cellphone from one of the guys, "Hey I was talking to--"

"Shut up!" I punched in the number.

"Caller three you're on live."

"Let me tell you this lady!" her face practically melted when she recognized the voice, "That woman needs to come back! If she's watching right now, she'll have less of a beating! Anyone who returns her will receive an award. If she's not back by the end of the week, I burn all the schools and hospitals to the ground. Got it!?"

Everyone was speechless. The monitor turned to the 'We are currently having technical difficulties' screen. The race was on to get that woman. Anything and everything would be sacrificed for her to be back. That girl is mine, and no one elses!
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it took so long to update, good news is all my exams are finished and I passed them all!