‹ Prequel: Weapon of Choice
Status: Completed!

Inside Your Eyes

Plans

Before I even opened my eyes I knew I was in the hospital, "How many times is this going to happen?"

"Hopefully this is the last," I heard Alfred's voice next to me.

"How long have I been out?"

"Two days. The doctors say it's a wonder you didn't die again."

"Well lucky me," I sneered.

He saw my distress and handed me the locket I received for my birthday, "Just remember those words."

I took it and sighed, "It is a beautiful sentence. Thankyou Alfred..." and fastened the chain around my neck.

When the doctor came in, I found myself bored with the lecture of what was wrong with my side and him adjusting the slight flow of pain medication in my IV.

"So, how long will I be in here Doc?"

"I'd say another day or two, but while you're home strict bed rest for another month. I want to make sure that wound heals." He proceeded to show the X-rays taken when I was brought in, "The knife wound indicated the blade narrowly missed the stomach and only nicked your gallbladder. Where was your attacker when you were stabbed?"

"Jumping out of an escape hatch in the floor."

"Ah, as I expected. The knife struck in an upward motion."

"Yeah, she jumped up, knifed me, and ran back down the hatch. Can we stop playing detective and just find her?" I sighed. I barely have the patience for anyone right now, don't test me. And what's worse I have this wound for another month! From then on I shut down entirely. I didn't want to say something I regretted at Alfred or the doctor.

All was quiet until Bruce came. I don't know how he did it, but never once did I see him with a scratch from battle and here I was lying in bed with a mortal wound, "The Joker nor Ruse are anywhere to be found."

I sighed, "If I get my hands on that woman, I'm going to kill her, knife wound or not."

"Are you sure about killing?"

"Fine, I'll pulverize her so bad she can't walk anymore," I folded my arms. That Batman logic always annoyed me.

He chuckled, "I am glad you're awake. The doctors said the outlook wasn't good for a while."

"Well seems nothing can kill me," I put my hand over the knife wound, "Feels strange, but oddly familiar."

He sat beside my bed and held my hand, "I really am glad you're alive."

I smiled, "Me too."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Later that night all was silent. The medication had put me into a deep sleep. A nurse checked my IV and scanned the clipboard at the foot of my bed, "Oh how lovely, you regained consciousness today." She dialed a number into her cell phone, "Cordelia? It's Sarah."

"Did she wake up?"

"Yes, yes. I told you I'd keep tabs on her. This fake comes to the hospital quite often."

"I knew you'd come through for me the moment I heard you deny her identity on television."

"Why do we have to be so secretive though? Wouldn't this be easier if we told Batman she was Ruse?"

"Don't you want to be recognized as a hero to Gotham?"

"Well, I do feel a little under appreciated at work. This nurse the other day just walked up to me and said..."

"Thanks!" Cordelia cut off the nurse and hung up, "This is perfect! Though I hate being stuck in this sewer, it'll keep my cover until tomorrow. She'll pay for taking away my love! All he talks about is her! Meanwhile, he won't even look at me. Well I'll show them! I'm not just a thing to be tossed around, but she will be. I'm going to mutilate that little bitch until The Joker can't even recognize her, and he will bow down to me! Me!" she had worked herself up and panted, "He will never ignore me again, and she will be dead. Of course, it's time I finished what her father started," she looked down on a rusted, old table and ran her finger along an old article, "Tomorrow will be the worst night of her life," she snickered with girlish glee, "and the best of mine!" a full cackle escaped her mouth.

All the while I slept soundly, having no clue of the horrors being planned in my honor.