‹ Prequel: Weapon of Choice
Status: Completed!

Inside Your Eyes

Before

The next day was spent with me trying to get out of bed, but sadly the medicine given to me was so potent I couldn't stand very long. I pleaded the doctors take me off the stuff, I wasn't a fan of not being able to control myself. The doctor from yesterday agreed to lower the dose and practically pushed me back into bed, "Stay still so that wound can heal. The Joker can't even kill you, so I'll be damned if you die under my supervision." Though he said this with a smile, I knew he was just trying to cover himself. If I died the press would be all over it, and he'd be reduced to the butt end of a joke.

I spent the day lying in my bed, getting 'sober'. I got tired of reading the same magazine over and over again, "Ugh, what is there to do?" My stomach had begun to hurt which was a good, yet bad sign. "I wonder what it even looks like?" My eyes slid to the door and around the room. No one was present except the small camera in the ceiling, "Well, what do I do with this curiosity?" I tried to ignore the itch to see the knife wound, but it always came back. If I unravel the bandaging fast enough...wait, they should be coming soon to re-wrap it, right? I waited for another five minutes, "Oh, damn it all!" I tore apart the first layer of bandages and began to unravel, "This is tiring," I huffed as I peeled away the layers down to the final patch of gauze. I hesitated a second, but removed the final piece away. Five black stitches clamped together skin.

An older nurse barged through the door, "That needs to be bound!"

"But it's not that bad. I mean look at my leg, that took what twenty and it healed just fine."

"Yes, Ms. Conway we are familiar with your past, but we need to keep that wound away from germs and infection."

I sighed and gave her the unraveled gauze.

She pressed the button to call an extra nurse. The speaker above came on, "Yes?"

"We need some extra gauze and bandages. Ms. Conway's bandages broke off."

"Sending them right now."

A woman with a cart of supplies came in and helped my present nurse rebind my gash. As she was leaving I saw eyes in the bottom of the cart, "Will you lift up the skirt of your cart?"

"Why?"

"I thought I saw something."

She lifted up the skirt, but nothing was there, "Nothing here."

"Ah, must be some of the medication still in my system. Sorry about that."

"No worries. Have a nice evening."

I looked at my new bandages, "You mind if I asked you to get a new magazine? I've read this one so many times." I held up the outdated issue of HomeLiving.

"Yes, just no more tearing off your bandages."

I raised my hand, "On my honor as a woman."

The nurse left. All was quiet again. I didn't have the television on, but I did feel the brush of wind on my face, "Why is the window open?" I tried to remember if anyone had opened it, "That nurse with the cart? Come to think of it she did look familiar..." I eased myself out of bed and looked out the window, "Ooh, that doctor must've taken me off all medication," the pain was growing worse and worse every time I moved.

"Need help getting around?"

I looked down, "Br-Batman? What're you doing here?" I whipped my head towards the camera and twitched a little because I had almost called him Bruce.

"Thought I saw trouble around here."

"Trouble?"

"A shadowy figure slipped through this window."

My eyes grew wide, "So that wasn't the medication?"

"I just need to survey your room to make sure it's safe."

"What about the camera?"

"If the person I think it is, is in here, the camera would already be disconnected."

"And if it's not?"

"I care more about you than my reputation. If anyone attacks us for this we'll get through it."

The sentence was sweet, I couldn't help but smile a little when he climbed through the window. He searched every inch of my room, including the ceiling. "I can't find a trace of anyone, but the camera is off."

"What should I do? I'm not exactly fighting material right now."

He whispered in my ear, "When you're in danger press the wind-up button on your locket."

"It's a tracker?" I said lowly.

"Yes, why do you think I found you so quickly before?"

"I thought The Joker just caught you..."

"He did by coincidence. I was following your signal before that."

"Oh..." I didn't know whether to be grateful or irk'd that he didn't trust me.

"Don't over think it, I was just worried The Joker would steal you away again."

"Ok," I exhaled in relief.

"I'll visit later, some business men are begging my attention," he hopped out the window, gliding down to a different building.