‹ Prequel: Weapon of Choice
Status: Completed!

Inside Your Eyes

Pain So Deep

I took a deep breath and turned to my bed, "Oh how touching! Aren't you just torn!" a voice came from the corner, "What will you ever do? The Joker loves you so much but you love Batman."

"Shit," my eyes shifted around the room, "Where are you Gerttie?" I took a large step towards the hospital bed and grabbed at the bedside remote. My hand clasped it and I pressed the 'call nurse' button. The remote's cord had been cut clean through, "Where are you Gertie?"

"Around..." I heard the footsteps across the room at this point, "You know, I have to give you credit. Making both of them fall for you isn't an easy task." I clenched the remote, "You're something Maya, but you made a fatal flaw..."

A nurse came in the room. I ran towards her, "You have to help me! There's a mad woman in my room that wants to kill me!"

She looked at me, "I know," and jabbed a syringe into my arm, "Just relax and take a nap now."

"You...you work for her?" my knees buckled.

"More like we're a team." my eyes started to close.

"A team?" I could see Gertrude's boots walk in front of me. I heard a few punching noises and a crack. The nurse's body fell before me, "There's only room for one team member, and he'll be mine after tonight." I reached for the locket and pressed the button, "Oh no you don't!" she ripped the locket from my neck breaking the chain, "Mr. Batman won't know where you are tonight!"

I faded from consciousness scared, for I was wounded and couldn't fight like I normally could.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I woke my arms had been chained to the wall. My first reaction was to pull but after a few seconds I realised that was not going to work.

"I don't think you'll be going anywhere."

"Gerttie, just let me go. You can have whatever you want!" The fear welled up inside me I don't want to do this anymore... a tear fell down my cheek.

"Is the little girl scared?" she looked at me, her face painted as badly as ever, "I can help the fear to stop," she raised a knife, "but you have to wait. The Joker will be here soon and he must see you die."

I bit my lip, "Why does he have to see this?"

"The Joker is always attracted to the crazy types. I'm just killing the one that fooled him."

Always with the drama. I sat back The waiting game is always horrible.

"Oh now don't get comfortable, the night's just starting!" she took out some clown makeup, "We have to get you ready for your big show!" I struggled against her hand as the pait smeared across my face.

"Stop!"

"Why would I? Now hold still!"

"No!" Messy white face paint was everywhere. I headbutt her while she applied black to my eyes. She took a few steps back and, while rubbing her forehead, reached under the table, "Get away from me you freak!"

She took out a Batman mask, "You'll have to forgive the bad make of this, I only recently stole it. These last minute ideas always get me." She cut it in half and pasted one side of it to my face. "Now for the final touch!" She took the knife and put it to my mouth, "This may hurt a little." I felt pressure against my inner left cheek, heard a cutting noise, and experienced instant pain.

I squealed and tried to break free on the chains, flailing around every which-way I could. My cheek was gushing blood onto the floor. I couldn't fight the hot tears that spilled out of my eyes. My face...it's...it's... Pitiful moans escaped my mouth. It hurt too much to form words.

After the initial shock my body became still, "That's it." Gertrude held my face and stitched the wound together with some old string, "There is no sense in murdering you if I can't hear your pleas for mercy!"

My face fell down, I'm sorry Bruce...I can't say goodbye.

Slow footsteps came from my right. My head turned to that direction. I saw The Joker's smiling face, but it faded when I angled my head further showing my left cheek. His eyes narrowed, "You promised me Batman!"

"And you came without thinking," she pressed a button and a barred cage fell around him.

He stood there just staring at me for a second. I tried to hide my face from him. Something was up his sleeve, something always was. The real question was if he would get out of the trap before I was dead.