‹ Prequel: Weapon of Choice
Status: Completed!

Inside Your Eyes

Alter Ego

I was pushed into the station. All kinds of ragged, worn men were in the holding cells. The sight made me think that heading a complete riot would win my freedom.

"Don't get any ideas," the officer behind me said.

"Who said anything about ideas, sweetie?"

He grimaced and threw me into the interrogation room, "The Commissioner will be here shortly," he slammed the door.

Great, so my options are riot or put my trust in Cordelia to tell Joker I'm here. I put my face in my hands Riot for sure.

I heard the door open and shut, "Take a seat Ruse."

"With pleasure," I grabbed his butt.

"What are you doing!?" he swatted my hand.

"You said take a seat."

"I meant a chair."

I sat down, "So what are you going to try to make me say tonight?"

"Well," he flipped through some papers, "You killed 20 cops tonight, 8 bystanders, shot a man in the leg, and assaulted a police officer."

"Hey, those 8 men were shooting at me, so it's self-defense, and now you have Drix, one of the bigger drug lords in Gotham. I'm thinking you should thank me at least once. As for the assault...I did what you told me to do."

"It would seem that way, but you're forgetting about the 20 cops," he rubbed his eyes, like he was tired, "Look, I'm only going to make this offer once..." he shifted his eyes up to me. I was staring at the one sided mirrors, "Ruse!"

"Ever wonder who's behind that glass," I turned my head to his, "I know I do." That's right, get him off track.

"No, because I know who's behind there. Now listen..."

"Could you tell me, or at least give me a hint?"

"No, now listen! If you tell us where The Joker's hideout is then we'll take away some of your sentence."

"Oh yeah, because selling out the one person I depend on in this world will make me feel so much better," I stared at the glass and smiled, "I'm going to figure out who you are," and laughed.

He sighed. The day had tired him. With the appearance of Batman, different villeins had appeared by the masses. Though The Joker was in a level of madness of his own, there was The Riddler, Penguin, and Poison Ivy, just to name a few. "Ruse, I give you one more chance. Give us information or die in a prison." I stayed silent, "Fine," he nodded to the glass and two men came in, "We'll give you one night. If you haven't changed your mind, solitary it is." The men grabbed my shoulders and threw me into one of the holding cells. The men started to walk away.

I pressed my face up against the bars, " You're leaving me alone with these thugs? I could get beaten...or worse!" I yelled.

One waved his hand back at me, "I'm sure you can take care of yourself."

I turned around and sighed, "What happened to that stereotype that women are weak and defenseless?" I sat down on the floor.

About five minutes later a man sat next to me, "So what are you in for? Judging by your face, I'd say you work for Penguin or The Joker."

"Joker. Plans didn't go the way they should have and well, you see the outcome."

"So, you're that girl I saw on TV. What's your name? Bruise? Fuse?"

"Ruse."

"That's it! You can kick major ass!"

"Thanks. What's your story?"

"Drug deal gone wrong. Seemed safe enough with Scarecrow there, but then Batman came in and two seconds later I'm in cuffs."

"When did that happen?"

"A few hours earlier."

I pulled my knees up to my chin Maybe Batman had his hands on Joker. It's not like him to not follow through on a plan...well, his at least. "Interesting."

"So, you think he's going to save you?"

"We'll see. I give him a few hours. If not, I'm starting a riot."

"Ah, so a thug that thinks on her own? Very nice."

"Don't insult me. I prefer 'Vileness'."

"What makes you so sure he won't treat you like everyone else? You know, once you're no longer the best he kicks you out."

"If he does that...I'm pretty sure I'll pay him back ten-fold, and he knows it."

He started laughing, "Someone like him scared of a girl like you?"

"The proper term is woman, and yes, there's no fury like mine." I stood up, knocking on the brick walls.

"What're ya doing?"

"Knitting a sweater." I continued my work, finding a softer spot in the wall Construction workers cutting corners on a police station. So predictable. Now I need to convince some on these 'men' to join me.

"Hmph, you have to be some girl to get The Joker to put up with you," he leaned against the wall.

I heard a rumble and walked away, "Woman." A semi truck burst through the wall, leaving a dusty haze through half the building.

The door of the semi was kicked open, "Ruse?" a familiar voice coughed.

"So you guys did come for me," I began to giggle.

The Joker slid down from the rubble, "Yes, the delay was due to some Batman imitators that thought they could outsmart me."

"Fair enough. So Cordelia told you?"

He nodded, "She claimed you were counting on her to bust you out of jail. I never knew you had such trust."

"Well, I was going to give you an hour. If you didn't come by then I'd start a riot and break free that way," I observed the different convicts running toward the broken wall, "Time to leave?"

He nodded and we piled in the semi This life... I smirked as Joker resumed his own form of driving I am content with.