‹ Prequel: There and Back
Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: total rewrite, but i will post with 5 commentors!

Memory Lapse

Car Ride

Leah’s eyes narrowed dangerously when I told her that Jacob was going to give me a ride home. I insisted that it would be fine but she still wanted to make me stay. I rolled my eyes at her and walked out the door pausing only long enough to promise that I’d call when I got home.
Jacob was being a perfect gentleman even opening the door for me. If I didn’t know any better, I’d think he was being perfect; but a perfect Jacob wasn’t the one that I was in love with. It was almost depressing being so close to without him knowing who I was. I sighed heavily as I climbed into the car and stared absently out the dark window when Jake started driving back toward Forks. I lost myself in the deeper, darker recesses of my head.
"Why do you do that?" he asked suddenly.
"Do what?" I blinked and ripped my gaze from the blurry trees to look at him, my head cocked to the side.
"You're chewing the inside of your cheek. I noticed you doing it at Embry's too. I was just wondering why."
I smiled at him. I hadn't even realized that I was doing that so I was flattered that he'd seen. I shrugged. "Nervous habit, I guess."
He grinned at me and I could feel my insides turn to mush. "What's there to be nervous about?" I knew what he was thinking from his tone and that mischievous smile I’d grown so accustomed to.
I smirked at him. "Oh, don't flatter yourself, kid. I've seen plenty of shirtless hotties so you're not that impressive."
He chuckled. "Hottie?"
Aw, crap. I laughed. "Maybe. I’ve had a lot on my mind lately but right now I'm mostly just worried about what Rose is gonna say after I go get me some greasy fast food."
He laughed. "I doubt that she’ll be pissed at you for too long. I guess that Malibu Barbie seems to like you."
My narrowed my eyes at him and stuck my tongue out. God, I'd really missed spending time with Jacob. Just teasing each other was just like back home in Vegas. We talked about the most random things and soon I was laughing so much my sides were hurting. I honestly couldn't imagine a more perfect way to spend the day.
Then, of course, he had to go ruin it. "So did you ever make up with your boyfriend?" he asked when we were almost to my dad's house.
I frowned at him. "No," I replied softly.
He quickly glanced over at me. "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to bring it up."
"It's fine," I lied. I turned my head toward the side window and watched the scenery flashing by so that he wouldn’t be able to see the tears pooling in my eyes. I sat with my head resting in my palm for the rest of the ride to my house.
The cruiser was still gone even though Dad should have been home from work already. I panicked for a brief second but realized that someone would've called me if something bad had happened to him. I hesitated for a moment before turning the handle, not really in the mood to be alone and end the day with Jake.
"Do you want me to wait with you until Charlie gets back?" he offered. I smiled to myself, enjoying that he could nearly read my mind.
"That'd be pretty great."
"Sure, sure. I just gotta call Daphney and-"
He slammed the door mid-sentence. The engine roared to life and he started zooming back down the road. "What is it?" I demanded, my voice shooting up an octave.
"Someone's here. It's not a smell I recognize."
"Shit, it's gotta be Jane." I twisted around to look out the back window but I couldn't see anything. A nauseating feeling settled in the pit of my stomach and my hands started shaking.
The trees sped by on either side of us as Jake raced expertly back toward La Push. Jacob suddenly slammed on his breaks. I shot forward but the seatbelt held my in place. "Ow," I mumbled.
"Sorry," Jacob said quickly as he climbed out of the car without even glancing back at me.
I rubbed my now bruised shoulder and peered out the front windshield. Jacob was in the middle of the road cradling Daphney in his arms. I scowled and cracked open the door so I could hear the conversation.
"I don't know what attacked me. I was just on my way home when something landed on the car. It pulled me out and threw me onto the pavement. I must have blacked out after that." I glanced around but there was no car and no broken car parts lying around. Lying bitch.
"Are you sure you're going to be okay?" Jake was helping her up and I saw that she was covered in blood with her clothes torn slightly. Being the cynic that I am, I couldn't help the small giggle that escaped my lips. Even if her story didn’t check out, she deserved the cuts and scratches lacing her skin.
"Jakey, I think I'm lucky to be alive right now."
Jacob helped her into the backseat but he didn't see he wicked glare she shot at me. He ran around the car to his seat. "Just give up now. He's with me and he will never want to be with someone like you," Daphney hissed, her lips barely moving.
"Fuck you," I whispered almost inaudibly right before Jacob got into the car. Ugh, stupid slut. If Jacob weren't there, I would have killed her right then. Well, she probably would've gotten me first since she's a bitchy witch and all, but I would've at least given her a run for her money. I swear, somehow I'm going to kill that evil, ugly, goddamned, fucking, whore!
♠ ♠ ♠
yeah, this one's kinda short, but i got 5 comments so here it is! thank you, my frikkin' amazing readers!! Disenchanted Lies. JustThinking, beachblondea, ducky17, forbiddensecrets, xoxogal404