‹ Prequel: There and Back
Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: total rewrite, but i will post with 5 commentors!

Memory Lapse

Finally

I was going to die. Worse, my baby was going to die, too, because of my stupidity. As if that wasn't bad enough, we were going to die alone. I ran like hell through the woods but I knew I was only delaying the inevitable. I pushed myself to run as fast as I could but being me, and running in a dark forest, things didn’t work out to my advantage.
I closed my eyes, bracing myself for her final blow and death. I tripped over a root and fell flat. I rubbed a hand over my inflated stomach praying that there was no blood. I hate being so clumsy.
Daphney's voice suddenly rang out in the empty woods and seemed to be everywhere at once. "You can run, Lizzy, but I'll always find you. I'm going to make your death nice and slow. The kind of death that Victoria had in mind for your sister. Did you know that a slow torture to kill Bella was your old friend Jace’s idea? He told Victoria that he would be more than willing to help with that. I don't think he ever thought his plan would be used on you." She laughed. "Ah, the irony. Isn't fate a bitch?"
I turned in frantic circles trying to find the source of her voice before she could sneak up on me. I spun once more and she was standing across the small space smiling down at me. "I am really going to enjoy this."
I backed into a large tree and closed my eyes tightly. Fucking perfect.
“What the-? No!" Daphney's annoying voice whined.
I let one eye open to a slit and I saw that I was still standing. Both eyes flashed opened and I gasped. A huge wolf stood between Daphney and me, his lips pulled back in a snarl showing his large, sharp teeth. My first thought was Leah, but this one was too big. The moonlight illuminated the wolf’s russet fur stood on end and its familiar, dark brown eyes were filled with hate. My russet wolf.
"Aw, hell," Daphney muttered. She glared at me for a moment but then her bitter expression changed from hopeless to annoyed. "You don't want to do this. Jakey," Daphney breathed seductively.
My heart leapt in my chest and I muttered his name, almost as a prayer. I had to be dead already. His timing was too perfect to be reality. Jacob being my knight in shining armor was something that I only hoped for in my wildest dreams.
She started backing away and I could see the panic in her eyes as she realized he meant business. Her eyes danced around wildly looking for an escape but at the same time trying to find the best way to me.
“Don’t even think about it,” a hard voice snapped. Her head swiveled around and landed on Seth who stood naked at the other end of the small clearing. I could see the gears in her head turning as she tried to figure her odds of killing me and living.
“Do you always let others die for you, Elizabeth?” she sneered, obviously trying to get under my skin. “You let children die for you? Alejandra isn’t going to like you much for her daughter’s disappearance.”
Seth growled. I’d never seen him so pissed off before. “Don’t you dare talk about her, you bitch. You killed her!” He phased instantly and pounced toward Daphney but she was too quick. Seth was good but he wasn’t the best fighter in the pack and if he kept letting his emotions get the better of him, he was going to make a fatal mistake.
“No!” I screamed. “I won’t let you hurt him, Daphney.”
Her golden-brown eyes met mine for an instant. “Then why don’t you give up, coward? No one even loves you anyway.”
A low growl ripped from Jacob’s throat. His muscles tensed and like a spring, he pounced at Daphney.
My eyes widened and my mouth fell open in shock. I don't know how long I stared in silent horror at the scene before me. Through all my time with the pack I’d never seen the wolves actually kill. It was terrifying and mesmerizing at the same time. Daphney was quick as she tried to stay away from the wolves’ snapping jaws as Jacob and Seth worked as a team to get to her. She screamed as Jacob took a bite at her. It was almost scary how vicious they were as the two nicest guys I’d ever met tore her to shreds.
It felt like an eternity before Jacob stood before me in his normal self. "Jake?" A small smile graced his lips. I smiled back and flung myself into his arms. I let myself break down into uncontrollable sobs. My heart was pounding from the adrenaline that was still rushing through my veins.
"Sh, Lizzy, it's okay. I promise, everything's going to be okay."
"Jacob, I love you," I whispered through my tears.
"I love you, too. I'm so sorry about everything that’s happened. I remember before and I know what Daphney did. I’m sorry, Lizzy. I promise that I'll never leave you again."
I pulled away slightly. "Jake, you have no idea how hard it's been for me."
He kissed the top of my head and peered into my eyes. "It was always you. Even when I thought I'd imprinted on Daphney, you were the one I was in love with. You were always on my mind, even when I tried to think of her."
"Promise you'll never think of her again."
He laughed once and kissed my lips. "I promise."
♠ ♠ ♠
grr... i hate cliffhanger endings! way to ruin my whole day, heroes of olympus series. cant wait til that stupid next book comes out now :(
anyway, thank you so much for my freaking amazing readers! i love you guys so much. here's a new chapter special for: clearlyconfused, bublbabie, xoxogal404, JustThinking
I will be posting the epilogue on dec 4 (my bday!) so you have until the 3rd to get in final name votes. the three with the most votes so far (or that i liked best) are: Analiegh , Annabelle, Andrea so watcha think?