‹ Prequel: There and Back
Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: total rewrite, but i will post with 5 commentors!

Memory Lapse

Real Gone

Jacob didn't come home all that night. The only sleep I got was while I was curled up into a tight little ball on the couch. My arms were wrapped around my knees and I waited anxiously for any sound of Jacob's arrival. I floated in and out of consciousness but was only met with disappointment during the long waking hours.
At around nine in the morning there was a knock at my door. I scrambled off the couch with my back sore and stiff from a restless night on the Goodwill couch. I paused at the door for a second to fix myself up a bit before yanking it open. "Jake?" I said hopefully, out of breath.
"Oh God, Lizzy! You're all right!"
"B-Bella?" I choked out. My twin wrapped me into a tight hug in between her icy arms. "What are you doing here?"
She pulled back to get a good look at me. Bella hadn't changed a bit in the last couple of years. She was still an eighteen-year-old beauty. Her hair was the same brown, her eyes the same golden color, except they were getting little bags under them, and her gorgeous face was looking at me with worry but she also had a pained expression. I didn't want to know what she saw in my face. "I came to make sure that you were okay."
"Why?" I hated how croaky my voice was.
She bit her lip. "Well, I was getting this really bad feeling. At first I thought it was like mother's intuition or something but Nessie was with Alice. Jasper could feel that I was maudlin but it wasn't my emotions. He was feeling you through me. It's our twin telepathy. I called Tony and had him check in on her but she was totally fine. It took me a while to figure out that it was you that I was feeling- I can’t believe I was so stupid I didn’t realize it right away. You didn’t sleep at all last night, did you?"
I wiped at my puffy eyes. "I slept a little," I protested. I hated when Bella worried about me. I was always so used to looking out for her that it was just awkward now.
She looked like she would argue but then Bella sniffed suddenly. Her eyebrows drew down in concentration. "What?" I demanded.
"Lizzy, where's Jacob?"
I tensed. "He's...gone."
"Gone where?" she asked carefully.
"I don't know," I finally admitted after a few moments of silence. "We got into a fight last night and he left. This girl came by and said that she married him last night.
"Lizzy, there's no possible way that they could’ve gotten married. She’s lying."
I shot her a disbelieving look. "Bella, it’s Vegas, people get married on a whim all the time. She had a ring on her fucking finger! It was the one that Jacob bought for me for when we got married. Bella, he just gave it to her." Tears started running down my cheeks and I had to sniffle a few times.
“She’s lying,” my sister said confidently.
“No, she’s not,” I whispered. “She knew about imprints. He’d only tell her if she was the one.”
Bella crossed the room in a millisecond. Her cool fingers combed my hair back from my face in a soothing gesture. "Shh, hon. It's going to be okay. Everything's going to be fine."
I shook my head. "No it's not, Bells. I'm pregnant."
She gasped sharply. "That's it. Lizzy, you're coming with me to Forks. We'll work this out but I don't think you should be alone for now."
I exhaled sharply. “I’m not gonna just leave; I can’t just leave. I have school and work and I honestly don’t care enough to run away ‘cause some retarded guy left me.”
“Liz, you can’t stay here. We can fix the thing with your school and work but I really rather you didn’t stay by yourself. Lizzy, I’ve known you to do some stupid things when you were upset.
I sighed, defeated. "I'd need to pack."
"All done." Bella stood in front of me with a duffel bag full of my stuff. I hadn't even seen her move. Sometimes having a vampire sister was pretty helpful. She started leading me to the door with my bag slung over her shoulder.
"Wait, Jane still wants to kill me and I'm not protected by the Volturi’s treaty in Forks. Maybe I should just stay here."
I opened the door to usher out my 18-year-old twin and found a girl standing with her fist raised as if to knock. "Um, hello," she muttered with a slight accent. Her layered hair was dark brown and held back, her skin was golden brown, and her oval eyes were dark. Her cheeks were stained red from embarrassment so it looked like she was sun-burnt. "Are you Elizabeth Swan?"
"Yes. Can I help you?"
"No, actually I'm hoping I can help you. My name is Erica Hernandez. You've met my mother, Alejandra. We heard about your fiancé and I think I can help."
I swallowed hard. "C-come in."
♠ ♠ ♠
1. i was gonna update yesterday but i was in mourning cuz my twin was going to hell (yes, drea, i do consider ua to be HELL...) and i was just plain busy.
2. thank you to my freaking amazing readers, especially those of you that comment!! ducky17, JustThinking, nniikkii18, PixieChick101, darknesslovesme021
3. im not totally sure how i feel about this third story so feedback is VERY important. please let me know what you think- good, bad, and ugly... be honest
thank you!!!