‹ Prequel: There and Back
Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: total rewrite, but i will post with 5 commentors!

Memory Lapse

Awkward Dinner

I watched them walk away. Daphney Whinters shot me one more look with a large smirk on her face. I seriously wanted to punch her in the nose or something. I chewed the inside of my cheek and went to find Leah while Billy called my dad.
"So?" Leah urged when Erica and I found her. "What happened?"
"Nothing," I answered bitterly. "Jacob doesn't remember the last three years at all. It's like I never came from Florida to begin with. Leah, what am I going to do?" A steady stream of tears started sliding down my cheeks.
Leah kissed my forehead. "We'll find something.” Her brown eyes gained a little spark as she turned to the young witch. “Erica, do you think that you can break her spell?"
The girl shook her head sadly. "No. Daphney Whinters is a mentirosa- a liar. Her power comes from her ability to manipulate the truth. My gifts are just to fight vampires and cover Elizabeth’s tracks. I'm sorry."
I shook my head and wiped at my eyes. "It's not your fault. It's Daphney's. I guess she just outsmarted us.”
Erica and I said our good-byes to Leah and went to the Blacks' small house with Billy. My dad pulled up in his police cruiser right as we were walking up the porch. Charlie jumped out and caught me in his arms. He hugged my so tight I couldn't breathe and kissed the top of my head.
"I've missed you."
"Sheesh, you'd think I'd died or something."
He glared at me. "That's really not funny."
I rolled my cool brown eyes skyward. "Bella's not dead- just a vampire. She might not have to breathe but she still needs to eat."
"Elizabeth Margaret," he warned.
I laughed. "I'm just playing with you, Daddy."
Billy whispered something to my dad before we walked in and found Jacob and Daphney already seated at the table. I was so hungry from lack of food for a day and a half that I scarfed down all the left over pasta that I was given. Daphney ate delicately and picked at her food so that the rest of us, with the exception of Jacob, were shooting her annoyed looks. I tried to keep focused on my meal but every once in a while I could feel Daphney smirking at me when no one else would notice. I flipped her off a couple of times but had to stop when both my dad and Jake saw.
After an awkward dinner, the two men made themselves comfortable in front of the TV and the game that was playing. Erica and I sat at the table nibbling on ice cream and there was no sign of Jake or the wicked witch.
"So is it okay if Erica and I stay with you for a bit, Dad?" I asked between mouthfuls of frozen goodness.
"Of course it is. I'm sure the Cullens are happy to have you back."
"Mm-hm. And the pack seemed pretty psyched, for the most part. I'm taking this semester online so I won't even miss any school."
"That's good," he stated absent-mindedly.
I pulled my iPod from my hoodie pocket and set it to full volume on the table so that Erica and I could both listen. Avril Lavigne 'Girlfriend' was pounding through the speakers. I sang along with it under my breath and danced around wildly. Soon, the two of us were giggling like mad. I sounded like crap while she was actually pretty good but it was fun to act like stupid teenage girls for a little while.
"Looks like you're having fun," Jacob said, coming from his bedroom. (Ew, don't wanna know what's going on in there.)
"Yep," I answered. "I don't give a shit about what people think so I will act like an idiot if I feel like it. I bet I can’t say the same thing for you girl,” I couldn’t help but add.
He rubbed the back of his neck almost in frustration. “Yeah, she does kinda like to be serious all the time.”
Again, I couldn’t help my big mouth as I blurted harshly, “She really doesn’t seem like your type of girl. But I guess you can’t help it.”
He nodded up at me. “What about you? Is your boyfriend someone that you could picture yourself with? Is he your type of guy?”
My stomach clenched to the size of a fist and I felt sick. "He was. We got into a fight yesterday and he bailed. It was mostly a big misunderstanding but I don’t know if he’s going to come back."
Jacob's mouth turned down into a frown. "Ah, I'm sorry. That sucks pretty bad."
I felt like I would vomit and my heart spilt in two. But I kept the tears in and my voice steady. "Yeah. It sucks pretty badly but I'm not going to be like Bella was when Edward left her. I'm too stubborn for that."
"Well, good luck," he said as he went back down the short hallway to his room.
"Lizzy," Erica said softly.
I let out a shaky breath. "I'm fine. I told him when we met I didn't want to get my heart broken. This is why I didn't want to fall in love."
A few tears strayed from the corners of my eyes and I quickly wiped at them. “God, I fucking hate crying. Do you know the biggest difference between Bella when Edward left and me now?”
“What was that?” the Mexican beauty asked almost reluctantly.
I shot her a small, weak smile. “She had Jacob and I don’t.”
♠ ♠ ♠
thanks readers and commentors!!!!! I <3 you! thank you: JustThinking, lifes_life, PixieChick101, xoxogal404
ps.... any comments (and readers) on this and my other stories would be greatly appriciated!