‹ Prequel: There and Back
Sequel: Better Than Revenge
Status: total rewrite, but i will post with 5 commentors!

Memory Lapse

Snow Day

I had a major hang over when I woke up. It was already by the time I made my way down to the living room. My dad shook his head at me when I plopped onto the couch next to Erica. "Elizabeth," he started.
"Please don't," I murmured tiredly. "I've heard it all from Mom. Besides, I'm actually old enough to drink now. It was stupid and I'm sorry but I actually had fun last night and I seriously needed some fun.”
"Fine. Get some more sleep. Please just don't do anything stupid like that because of a boy."
I held out my left hand and made an 'X' over my heart with my right. "Promise. No bikes, cliff diving, or cutting because some dick dumped me."
My dad’s eyes narrowed at me. “Lizzy, Jacob isn’t worth it, honey. I want you to be careful and you can’t act like you used to. Now call your mom before she freaks out anymore.”
“I promise. From now on I’m going to be a little goody-two shoe.” And for a while, I was. I was careful with myself and everyone helped keep me relaxed and taken care of.
Several days passed and the weather got considerably colder. By Sunday when I woke up, the ground was covered in a thick layer of snow. After growing up in Phoenix and Florida for most of my life and then living in Vegas, I was ecstatic to see the white powder. I bundled up in my warmest clothes and dragged Erica out to the yard with me. Snow was a rare commodity for both of us and we acted like a couple of crazy kids.
A couple of hours went by before Jacob's Rabbit pulled up. I chewed nervously on the inside of my cheek as he got out and helped Billy. I really wasn’t feeling up to seeing Jacob but I was going to act normal. "Hey girls," Billy said gruffly.
"Hi Billy," I called back, ignoring Jacob completely. "What are you up to?"
"Your dad and I were planning on catching the game. Football all day today."
"Oh, I see, you just wanted our flat screen. I feel so used."
He chuckled. "Jake, you can go if you'd like. Or I'm sure the girls would let you play with them in the snow."
"Yeah, come and play with us, Jacob," Erica giggled. It was easy to tell by her demeanor that she'd never in her life seen snow. I smiled at and she giggled and fell to the ground laughing.
Jacob gathered a fistful of snow into a ball and chucked it at us- I was surprised it didn't melt right away in his warm hands. Erica and I exchanged glances and smirked at each other. We made snowballs and started firing them at Jacob. Pretty soon, we had a full blow fight going on between the two of us and him.
After a while of pummeling him with snow, Jacob decided to just charge at us. Erica laughed and vanished into thin air leaving me to fend for myself. I started high tailing it out but the snow was too high and he was just faster anyway. Jacob tackled me into the snow. Magic sucks when it doesn't benefit me. Same goes for the wolf thing.
"Hey, no fair!" I protested. "That's cheating!"
Jacob was sitting on top of me, but being careful not to put his whole weight on me, and he held my hands pinned above my head. He gave me a mischievous smile and for a second, I felt like everything was back to the way it should be. With the hand that wasn't holding my arms he scooped up a ton of snow and shoved it in my face, making me scream bloody murder. I could hear Erica laughing on the sidelines and when I caught a peek of her, she was doubled over holding her stomach from laughing so hard.
"Get off of me! Ugh, you suck! That's so not cool. Using werewolf abilities on a poor, defenseless human is just effed up."
Jake laughed. "Lizzy, I might not know you very well but I highly doubt that you're defenseless."
My smile dropped completely. His tone and expression was joking but that made it all the more worse. He wasn't my Jacob anymore. Everything that he'd felt for me, the love he had for me, was gone and given to her. I wanted someone I couldn’t have and it sucked.
Jake saw my expression and quickly got off of me. "Hey, I'm sorry about throwing you in the snow. I was just playing."
"I know. I'm just cold, is all,” I lied easily. “Um, why don't we go inside for some hot cocoa?"
Erica got her cup and went into the living room with the dads leaving me alone with Jake. I was squeezing my cup tightly to try and warm my freezing hands. "Here, let me help." Jacob grabbed them before I could protest and they instantly heated, along with the rest of me. "Sorry again."
I smiled at him. "No problem. I'm just a little numb. A few more minutes and I'll be as good as new. Trust me, this works a lot better than turning on the stove and holding my hands over the fire. I've burnt myself doing that before."
He laughed with me. "Glad I could help."
"So, your girlfriend couldn't make it?"
His face scrunched up. "Daphney isn't really a fan of the snow. She would rather spend the day on the couch with a credit card."
I wrinkled my nose. "I hate shopping. I think it's genetic 'cause you can't drag me or Bella into a store unless it sells books. Alice hates that about us."

*jacob's pov*
Getting to know Lizzy and spend time with her felt natural somehow. It was so much easier to be with her than it was to be with Daphney.
It felt almost like déjà vu.
♠ ♠ ♠
i love my readers. thank you commentors: beachblondea, JustThinking, nniikkii18, xoxogal404, PixieChick101