Status: On hold for now, siffering from writers block.

Standing in the Rain

Leaving

This is how I had reached the point I never wanted to.
Explaining to the cops what had been going on in my house for the past few years.
They originally thought that when my dad skipped out after murdering my mom he had taken me with him, either to hold as a hostage or to kill elsewhere. Then they discovered I was recently in the hospital and where I went.

It was hours of questioning followed by them insisting I either leave town and go somewhere safe, or I have surveillance on me at all times.

“Or, you know, we could do neither.” I said. The detective didn’t look too happy with me.

“Tallie, this is serious. We have no idea where to find him.” At this point if I had known where he was I probably would have told them. “You are not safe.”

“Sir, I have two months of school left. I’m not going into hiding, and I’m not ok with being followed and watched all of the time.”

“You have 24 hours to decide.” He finally said standing up. “At the end of that time the FBI will step in and decide for you.” What?. “Until then there will be a squad car stationed outside of the house.”

“Why are they taking over?” I asked.

“To find your father. Through some digging we’ve discovered that this has happened before.”

“What do you mean ‘this has happened before‘?” He just shook his head.

“They can better explain it to you tomorrow.” He stood up and left leaving me alone in my room.

What the hell was going on? Not only had my father killed my mother, but if what the detective had said was true he had done this before, and now they wanted to hide me or watch me. I reached put my pill bottle between my knees and opened the bottle. I popped two pills in my mouth and gulped down some water from the glass next to me. The front door closed and I knew that he was gone.

Slowly, so I didn’t jostle my shoulder, I made my way downstairs. Linda, Dave, and Ryan all sat at the kitchen table silently.

“They told me I need to go into hiding, or I need to have police watching me everywhere I go.” They all looked at me. “Apparently he’s done this before.” I was too numb emotionally at this point and my voice came out flat.

“What?” Linda looked pale, and I knew what I had to do. I didn’t like it, I knew they wouldn’t, but I couldn’t let them get hurt.

“I’ll call the detective later tonight.” I leaned against the wall looking everywhere except at Ryan. “I’m going to have to go into hiding.” There was a loud crash as Ryan shot out of his chair knocking it over. He didn’t say anything to me, he just left the kitchen and went up to his room slamming the door. “I can’t let anything happen to you guys.” I said quietly. Dave started to speak but I stopped him. “I’m not going to put you guys in danger. Even if they are watching the house I’m not taking the risk.” I sighed and leaned my head back against the wall. “At least I have enough credits to graduate.”

“I’m sure it won’t be for long.” Linda said sadly. I blinked back the tears and left heading back upstairs. I couldn’t talk to Ryan, not yet.

I had seen a large duffel bag in the bottom of my closet that morning and pulled it out. I threw it on the bed and unzipped it and slowly, since I only had one good arm, I began to pack. The clothes took a awhile, and then I moved onto the photo frames, and then finally the laptop and charger. When I looked at the clock it was 9 pm. Ryan still had not left his room his parents had gone in and talked to him, well, argued. I still had to call the detective. I didn’t know where I was going to go. The only safe place I could think of was here. And now, I was leaving.

I picked up my phone and punched in the number on the card. After telling him I would go he told me he would be over in half an hour.

“Ryan.” I said knocking on his door. Silence. “I’m coming in.” I turned the handle but it was locked. “Please let me in.” I listened for any sound of movement. “At least let me say goodbye.” Then I heard a click. Slowly, I opened the door Ryan stood in front of me. His eyes red.

“How could you not talk to me about his first?” His voice cracked. I stepped into his room shutting the door behind me.

“I had no intention of leaving, but the second I saw you and your family sitting at the table I knew I couldn’t put all of you in danger because I was being selfish. I don’t want to leave. I have to.”

“Do you have any idea where you’re going to go?” He asked.

“No.” I walked over and sat on the edge of his bed.

“Tallie.” He sat next to me gently grabbing my chin and turning my head to face him. “I cannot lose you. I cannot go one more day not knowing where you are. I did that once and only for a few hours. It was hell. There is no way I am letting you go without me.”

“Ryan I’m leaving so you’ll be safe.” I started to cry then, not heaving sobs, just tears spilling over. I looked away and noticed the large bag next to the door.

“I’ve already talked to my parents, who called my grandpa.” I looked back at him. “We can go stay with him. The only place more secure than his house is Fort Knox.”

“What about school?” It was stupid of me to be worried about school at this point.

“You and I both could have graduated early and you know that.”

“Are you sure?” Was all I could come up with.

“I’m not letting you go anywhere without me. Though you haven’t known it I’ve been in love with you for quite some time and I can’t go through not knowing where you are again Tallie. I mean that.” He leaned in and kissed me quite passionately not stopping until we heard the doorbell.

“I guess it’s time to go.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry it's short.