Status: On hold for now, siffering from writers block.

Standing in the Rain

Routine

The alarm went off. This truly is the worst sound in the world. I get up grab my bag and open the attic window. I smell the rain approaching, it's like a sixth sense I have, I can smell the rain from miles away. I drop my bag so it hits the ground and shimmy down the drain pipe. I don't have to worry about the window. The lock is broken, so anytime the window closes it latches back on.

This morning as with every morning I head off to Ryan's. Ryan has been my partner in crime forever. He knows everything about me, except for the fact that I'm completely in love with him. But alas, what am I to do? Keep my best friend who I would gladly give my life for, or tell him how I feel and watch him go running? I think I'll go with the first.

I've reached Ryans house. I climb the tree house ladder, and make my way across the branch to his roof. His light is on and window open. I drop my bag carefully on the floor to make sure I don't wake his parents. I have my foot and head thought the window and-

"Tallie, what happened to your head?"

"Well good morning to you too."

"Tallie...."

"How does a squirrel with amazing acorn chucking abilities sound?" I made my way over to my drawer, it was a big one, I kept all my clothes here and showered here too. It was safer this way.

"Like crap."

"I'll come up with something else then." I headed to the bathroom to shower. Luckily it was in his room, so we didn't have to worry about his parents finding out what was happening with me at home.

I was putting my jeans on when I noticed the bruise on my wrist. Crap, well hopefully he won't notice.

"Tallie," he sighed as I came out of the bathroom. "You need to call the cops."

"How about no?" We had this 'discussion' weekly.

"Why?" He looked hurt. Like he was the one being attacked. That wasn't fair. I knew it hurt him to see me like this.

"Because I can't." I laid down on his bed, he came over and laid next to me propping his head up on his elbow.

"Yes you can. You know my parents would take you in in a heart beat."
It was true, what he was saying. His parents would take me in. I was their surrogate daughter as his father put it. I had my own key. I knew the alarm code. If they went on vacation I went with them. I always had a mountain of presents under the Christmas tree. I knew they loved me. But telling them wasn't something I could do. Ryan only knew because he witnessed it once.

"It's just not going to happen, ok?" I got up and threw my long wet hair into a bun. He got up and handed me my backpack.

"If that's what you want." he mumbled.

We walked downstairs to the kitchen, "so I have a new story." I always had to explain away the bumps and bruises, and I always ran them by Ryan.

"Okay, shoot." I threw my backpack onto the counter watching as he rummaged through the cabinets.

"I was walking home, foot hit the curb and I fell." It seemed believable.

"So explain the bruise." He tossed a few different things onto the counter. Apparently he had noticed.

"Well when I fell, I put my hands out to stop me and managed to land on my wrist wrong."

"You sure do fall a lot." he then sighed. Knowing how upset he was I tried to 'lighten the mood'.

"What can I say? I'm a klutz." I joked. His entire (and admittedly gorgeous) body tensed. Visibly.

"Tallie you are coming home with me after school." His face looked like stone as he handed me a breakfast bar. Shoving the other handful of various food items into his pocket he attempted a small smile.

"Fine," I said grabbing my bag, "I hear your mom, time to go." I gave her a quick "Hi Linda, bye Linda" as we headed toward the door. She never asked why I was there every morning. But she was always happy to see me just the same.