We All Will Be The Greatest

...

John stood there in front of the wall. Every single night has always been spent like this. Driving from home to this specific wall.

What’s special about this wall anyway? Why does John go here every night? This wall symbolizes his band. No, he wasn’t the one who started it, but he was so proud of it. He was so proud of being in something that works but right now... it’s not working quite well like it did before.

What ever happened? John thought. Why did their band start going downhill? When did it happen? Why? Is it because of John? Was it his fault? The band’s taking a break... no wait, they’re breaking up--but why?

No one can explain. Sometimes, they think it’s because of favoritism. It’s always been about John. It’s been like ‘John and the others’ not ‘The Maine’. But It’s not really that. They don’t know what their reason is for breaking up. It’s such a mystery.

John stood there in front of the wall and because of all the thinking, he fell to his knees and he just started crying. He’s crying.

His band. His band is breaking up and he doesn’t have any idea why. “Is there any way to stop this?” he mumbled to himself. “Why?” he exclaimed.

“Why what?” he heard a voice from behind him. He turned his head and he saw Garrett. John knew that Garrett knows what he was talking about. He walked towards John and sat beside him. “I’m sorry.”

“It’s not your fault, Garrett. It’s no one’s fault.” he said.

“But it is. It’s all our fault. We let it fall.” at this point, John’s face was wet with his tears. “John O’Callaghan. Crying. That’s something new.” Garrett joked.

John laughed and hit Garrett on the shoulder. “Why can’t we just... work something out?” he convinced the boy beside him.

Garrett shook his head. For a while, they just sat there; thinking. John had calmed down. No more tears falling down his cheeks and Garrett was there and he felt as if everything was wrong. The Maine was everything he has ever dreamt of and now, his band is falling down, drowning in regret because they let this--this dream slip away.

A few moments later, Garrett fell asleep in an awkward position and the sun was almost peeking out of the horizon so John knew better than to stay there. He stood up and woke up Garrett.

Then they both drove to their own homes.

Image


John was getting ready for the show they were playing in a while. It’s gonna be their last show. They decided to dress like they did the first time they played in front of a crowd. They wore suits and vests. He sighed as he looked in front of a mirror.

They were playing a show for the first time in months. He wished it was going to be great.

Him and the rest of the band was in the dressing room. They were minding their own business. Usually at shows packed like this, they were crazy as fuck but they were so quiet.

Then they heard some guy telling them that they need to go on stage already. They all nodded their heads and they headed out the door. The band heard the screams that they used to love. Pat was smiling from ear to ear and Garrett felt proud of the things he’s done. Jared had a big grin on his face but he was still sad this was their last show, Kennedy had just a small smile but John, well, John had his head down and his shoulders were dropped but he faked a smile and stood up.

“So, you guys probably know that this will be our last show as The Maine,” Garrett started as he spoke to the microphone. The crowd started ‘booing’. “But we hope that you will still support us no matter what we do in our lives and that you enjoy this.”

Pat started drumming, Jared and Kennedy started playing their guitars, Garrett playing his bass and John.. singing. There was a new girl in town...

“This song is a story about drinking too much and uh, making some bad decisions. So uh, without further ado, here is Right Girl.” Got caught running up a tab, couldn’t drive home so I had to share a cab...

A few more songs passed and the last song was the next. “So...this is the last song of the night. It’s gonna be a blast. No one’s gonna cry, alright?” John laughed. Everyone smiled and they felt their tears welling up. John felt tears in his eyes too. “Everyone’s gonna jump up and down and just be crazy.” then John just suddenly felt the tears sliding down his cheeks.

Surrounded by familiar faces, the people that you love to see. Where everybody knows your name, and they're smiling. We may not be gettin' younger, our days might be slippin' away. Yeah we're still so fucking young, so we'll party like it's our last day. And for the first time, I feel less alone. And for the first time, I can call this home

It's our last time, to say goodnight. Don't say goodbye, 'cause in the morning we'll, we'll see you around and we'll sing it again, same time tomorrow, yeah we'll all join in.


And somewhere between the song, it just felt right. This. Performing in front of a crowd, singing songs that they wrote themselves, making people smile just by listening to them. It all just felt right. They all had tears in their eyes and they just realized that this is where they belong. This is what they do best.

Jared is the backbone of every song. Kennedy might not have been heard, but he has an amazing voice. Pat’s drumming is just as important as everyone else. Garrett’s bass isn’t as loud as the other instruments. John’s singing and song-writing has inspired so many people. They are what makes up The Maine and thank God for them.

We all have been degraded, we all have been the greatest.
We all have been degraded, we all will be the greatest.