The Scars to Prove It

Beatings

December 1, 1991

Going to the Weasley’s again this year for Christmas, but I guess you guys already knew that. Happy Holidays.

- Carina


September 4, 1991

Mum and Dad,

You won’t believe who I met on the platform! Harry Potter! Fred and George helped him with his trunk! He and Ron (the twins’ younger brother) were sharing a train car. He is the sweetest kid, and so shy! Carina’s got him beat though.

She says hi, by the way, as do the twins and Lee. The twins also ask for you to send some of your cookies. I told them that if they asked too often, you would send some of my soy crisps. They didn’t believe me.

I’ve got to go now, Oliver is calling a team meeting. Something about a “secret weapon.” I swear, if it’s another play, I’m going to steal a Beater’s bat and clobber him.

Miss you.
Love,
Farren

P.S. The secret weapon that Wood was referring to is Harry Potter, our new Seeker! He’s better than Charlie Weasley.

*

October 12, 1991

Mum and Dad,

We actually won a match! Harry was brilliant! His broom (A Nimbus 2000) was malfunctioning. It kept trying to throw him off! Harry hung on though, and when it stopped, he climbed right back on there and stole the Snitch from right out under the Slytherin Seeker’s nose. Of course, he almost choked to death on it, but a catch is a catch.
Other than that, school has been pretty boring. Pranks have kept me busy. Right now, we’re planning a prank for the new Defense teacher. His name is Quirrel, but he is so nervous and twitchy that everyone calls him Squirrel. He wears this dumb turban, and our prank involves copious amounts of garlic and holy water. Should be fun.

Care of Magical Creatures is an interesting class. Professor Kettleburn is a good teacher, if a little dry. But we’ve learned about some interesting animals. And our little group keeps the class pretty interesting. Lee likes to take the little bugs and transfigure them into quills. When someone picks up their “quill” it transforms back. It sent a few Slytherin girls into fits.

Divination is a load of rubbish, but Trelawney is a right laugh. She looks like large bug wrapped in multi-colored shawls. It’s so warm in that class, that we wait until Trelawney gets going, then send Carina to stealthily open a window. It’s worked pretty well so far.

During the first class, she predicted the early death of the poor Hufflepuff boy named Cedric Diggory. She muttered something about a portkey and a spare. I think she’s going spare, myself. Diggory nearly pissed himself.
I’ll keep you posted.

Love,
Farren

*

November 7, 1991

Mum and Dad,

I had a very exciting Halloween. We were in the middle of the feast when Squirrel bursts into the hall. “Troll in the Dungeons!” he screams, then he faints dead away. Of course, that sets everyone in a panic. Professor Dumbledore actually had to raise his voice to quiet everyone.

We all get safely into the common room. Carina and I are well into a game of Wizard’s Chess before Fred and George noticed that Ron wasn’t in the common room or dormitories. Percy had just began to get hysterical when the portrait swings open to reveal a very dirty and disheveled looking Ron, as well as Harry and a girl named Hermione Granger, both with clothes in the same state as Ron.

Apparently, they fought the troll! It had escaped the dungeons and made its way to the first floor bathrooms. Hermione was in said bathroom, and Ron and Harry had to save her. Ron was very proud of the fact that he knocked the troll out with its own club. He may have mentioned once or twice . . . a second. . . .all evening.

But troll aside, everything at school is fine. Wood is working us harder than ever in practice. We’ve been practicing at ungodly hours of the morning in the freezing rain. If Wood doesn’t work us to death, we are all likely to get struck by lightning.
Everyone sends their love.

Love,
Farren

*

December 10, 1991

Mum and Dad,

I think I’ll stay at the castle this Christmas. I know you want me to come home, but Carina is staying and so are the twins. It should be a brilliant holiday. And Professor McGonagall has offered to help me study fourth year transfiguration. I couldn’t very well refuse her and keep my place as her favorite student. Plus, it is going to be a very quiet castle with everyone gone, and someone has to compensate for the silence. I have a few good pranks in mind.

I’ve got to go; Fred and George have something to show me. I think it has something to do with the recent snow and Squirrel’s turban that creates a very large target.

I’ll miss you, and I’ll post you your gifts. You’ll love them.
Love,
Farren

*

January 13, 1992

Thank you very much for my gifts. Did you enjoy yours?

I don’t have much time for writing, Oliver has called another practice: that’s three this week! I swear he’s gone mad.

Anyway, with Wood’s obvious instability, and all the homework I’ll soon receive thanks to exams, don’t expect to hear from me any time soon.

Love,
Farren

P.S. Everyone says hello, and Fred and George would love some scones.

P.P.S. Carina says that the twins don’t deserve scones.

*

May 24, 1992

Mum and Dad,

I am so sorry it’s been so long since I’ve written. I know you’re mad. But I actually have a half decent excuse! And a lot to tell you in this letter!

We were in prime position for the Qudditch Cup, so Wood was working us harder than ever. A couple of troublesome first years lost 150 points, and the Cup was our only chance for winning them back. I had hardly any time for all the homework I was getting, let alone writing letters. But, as much as I’m complaining about the training, the team was better than ever. We won the match since our seeker tried to get himself killed! That kid has a death wish.

Right before the match, Harry decides to play the hero and tries to stop Squirrel from stealing something. Nearly gets himself killed in the process, as well. Needless to say, he didn’t play in the match. We got crushed. Ravenclaw gave us our worst defeat in history.
Of course, we were all worried about Harry. Well, maybe not Oliver so much, but the rest of us. Fred, George, Lee and I tried to send him a toilet seat, but Madam Pomfrey confiscated it.

At the feast, I could hardly stand to eat with all the Slytherin hangings everywhere. Luckily for me, Headmaster Dumbledore decided to award some last minute points. Harry got 60 and Hermione and Ron got 50 each. That tied us with Slytherin. The entire table was on edge. Then, this first year named Neville won us the ten points that put us ahead of Slytherin. Gryffindor won the House Cup! More importantly though, Slytherin lost it for the first time in ages!

See you on the platform.
Love,
Farren

P.S. Carina would like very much for us to just take her with us. She really doesn’t want to go home.


June 17, 1992

Dear Farren,

I don’t think I’m going to make it the summer. I can’t write long, because I’m hiding from Father... he’s drunk, and furious about something or another. This is the third time. I’m going to the Weasley’s at the first chance. Don’t write back.

- Carina


June 18, 1992
Fred and George,

Expect Carina at your house very soon. He father is worse than ever, and she’s having a rough time of it. Whatever you do, do not ask her what happened. Do not mention her mother or father. And do try to keep Mrs. Weasley from smothering her.

Post me as soon as she gets there. See you soon.

Love,
Farren


-x-


Gasping for air, Carina stumbled off the broom that had crash-landed her a half mile or so from the Burrow. Tears and black makeup streaming down her face, she staggered forward in the direction she knew the Weasley’s home to be. This was rather difficult, as her body shook and trembled with each step she took.

Decorating her face and body were cuts, gashes, and bruises, but what pained her the most was not visible to the strangers eye: however, once a red-headed boy burst through the undergrowth, towards her he immediately saw what was crushing her heart – it was evident in her eyes. He had done this to her, her father. It was as they had all feared had been coming to her.

He ran to embrace her, but she hardly noticed. Her sobs were becoming almost inhumane, and she was having difficulty breathing.

George held her tightly, not letting her stumble forward any longer. “Oh, Ri... I’m so sorry. We won’t let this happen again, I promise...”

Right behind him, his twin dashed out from the same path as George, wielding a foam-coated tooth brush in place of a wand. “Rina! Rina! Where is he? I’ll kill him!

Without a moment’s hesitation, Fred threw his arms around his twin’s and the small girl’s. They held her there, waiting patiently for her to cry all the tears she had within her, the fierceness of their brotherly love was palpable in the air in that one moment.

Eventually, Carina gave one final sniffle before wiping at her face silently. It was then that the twins knew she was ready to make her way to the Burrow. They lead her, each with a steady arm around her wispy body and Fred carrying her discarded broom, towards their home. No one spoke, because they now knew her well enough to know that she wouldn’t talk for a few days after this – it wasn’t her nature.

As she slowly made her way through the underbrush, fleeting images passed through her vision...

“... and we’ll destroy that scrawny son of a bitch, Potter! He may have been lucky this past year, but our side is growing stronger by the day!” Carina’s father was drunkenly yelling about Harry Potter – a frequent rant, when he wasn’t criticizing his wife or only daughter. Carina shivered in her seat at the dinner table, not looking up from her platter.

“Am I’m sure you’re going to help us, eh, Carina? We have a spy from the inside, with a Gryffindor in the family,” he mocked contemptuously. It wasn’t anything out of the ordinary.

“Oh, Altair...” her mother sighed halfheartedly, but Rosier didn’t take any mind.

“No. I think our Carina would love to live up to her expectations for once. Should I sign you up to be there very person who murders Potter?” he asked mockingly, but the glare in his eye told Carina to answer correctly.

Panic strung through her. “N-n-n...” He arched a brow. “No. I won’t...” her voice faltered quietly as she continued to stare down at her untouched food. Never had his drunken rages turned his eye upon her like this before, and she was scared.

Her father turned to face his wife. “Leave.”

“Wha-? But, - ”

“Leave, now! I’m going to teach this slut about some family
pride and loyalty.”

At this point, Carina was positively petrified – but at the same time, she didn’t regret what she said. Beside her, her mother started to cry, begging her father to not do anything, until he eventually picked the woman up and threw her out of the room by her arm. The door swung shut, but Carina could still hear her muffled moans and clawing at the door. She sat, completely calm, in the same position she had been five minutes ago.

“What do you have to say for yourself?”

Carina still did not turn to face him. “Harry Potter is my
friend.

The first blow came to the back of her head, and when her head crashed to the wooden table, it drew blood.


Carina sniffled, and shuffled her feet through the kitchen door, George and Fred still firmly attached to her shoulders and waist. She blinked back a few tears before tearing herself away from George and Fred, and making their way up to their room and collapsing onto one of the beds. It smelled distinctively of cinnamon and wood smoke – George’s. She fell into a peaceful, dreamless sleep. She welcomed the abyss of nothingness with open arms.

-x-


“I’m not sorry.”

These were the first words that Carina spoke in the past four days – halting, but quite confident. George and Fred looked up from the garden they were sent to tend to. Carina was sitting beside them, silently keeping them company. They would talk to her about simple things, to keep her in the present.

Every night that week, they had woken to her screams – especially since she was rooming with them. At first Molly insisted that she have her own room, but every night she wandered into the doorframe of George and Fred’s room, wide-eyed and scared. Of course, one or the other would move over so she had a friend to sleep next to.

The twins stared at her for a moment, a little surprised. She stared back, questioningly, as if nothing out of the ordinary had occurred. She blinked, and the twins shrugged, and returned to pulling vegetables out of the earth for dinner that night.

No questions were asked – it was the unspoken rule that no one would ever question what happened to Carina behind the gates of her manor. Perhaps it was this that made George and Fred so fierce about protecting her – they would never know what pain she had to bear.

George seemed to want to say something, but decided against it. After a moment, Carina reminded herself that she wasn’t at the manor, so she wasn’t going to be waited on hand and foot. Awkwardly, Carina brushed the dirt off the collected vegetables with the rag lying next to the basket – the twins noticed her stiffness, but did not comment for the sake of preserving her confidence.

A few hours of this passed, even de-gnoming the yard. After a little while, a disturbance could be heard far in the front yard. Carina stood, craning her neck to see over the hedge. She was greeted with a bobbing head of white, perfectly straight hair. The features on the face were not quite familiar to Carina, but she knew who this girl was.

With a small squeal, Carina tossed her spade and gloves down and threw herself over the fence into Farren’s open arms – the luggage she had previously been carrying had been chucked aside to greet her very best friend.

Clutching each other, Farren threatened loudly that one day she would kill Carina’s father and make him pay for everything he put her through. Unlike the twins and Lee, Carina told Farren everything, but it never left each other’s lips, even to their very best guy friends.

With Farren there, everything seemed to fall back into place for Carina – it was simply as if she were on vacation.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks to Peace Dreamer and Moldy Voldie for the comments(: You guys are so freaking awesome :3