The nightmares

Chapter 2

I slid into Sean’s blue Ford pickup truck and snapped on my seatbelt. “Hey”, I said leaning over to kiss him. He grabbed my face before I could pull back and started kissing me some more. I laughed softly and pulled back. “Parents, remember?” I said pointing to the kitchen window where my mom and dad were peaking out of.
“Right, sorry”, he said playfully. He started the truck and pulled off onto the road. Five minutes later, we pulled into the parking lot of Reinson High School. Sean got out on his side and walked around to my side to open my door for me.
“My lady”, he said with a mock bow and a fake accent. Sean was always so chivalrous towards me, even when we were kids; he would pull open a door for me or give me half of his peanut butter and jelly sandwich if I forgot my lunch.
“Thank you, sir”, I said mock fully. He smiled, grabbed my backpack out of the seat, and slung his arm across my shoulders. Together we walked through the front doors of the school. He walked me to my homeroom class as always, gave me my backpack, kissed me goodbye at the door way.
“See you in second period”, he said into my ear, making me shiver, “I love you” then he turned and walked to his class. I smiled as I watched him go and I quickly turned and took my seat next to my best friend Stephanie. I turned to Stephanie and asked dreamily, “He’s really great, isn’t he?”
She grimaced and starting counting, “one, two, three, four…..”
“What are you doing?”
“Counting how many times you’ve asked me that in the past week”
I gaped and smacked her on the arm with my folder. “You’re really awful, you know that?” Stephanie had been my best friend since about third grade when she moved here from Arizona and was the new kid at our school. We became friends immediately.
“Well we’re both awful. That’s why we’re bffs, right?”
“You use that excuse to get out of anything, steph.”
“That’s the point, chica”, she laughed. Just then the bell rang for class to start and our English teacher, Mrs.Tursoil walked into the room. She was a tall, skinny lady with glasses and dark brown hair that she usually wore up in a ponytail.
“Alright class”, she said coming around to stand in front of us, “since today is Monday, I want you all to write me a two hundred page essay on why you think the English language is one of the most important languages that we speak here in America.” An echo of groans spread throughout the room and Mrs.Tursoil rolled her eyes. “Yes, I can already hear the enthusiasm in your voices”, she said while passing out papers. Just as I was about to focus on my paper, my pocket vibrated. I looked up to see if the teacher was looking and she wasn’t. Of course, it didn’t really matter since I was in the back of the room anyway. I flipped open my phone and saw that it was a text from Sean.
Hey babe, the text read.
Hey Sean, whatcha doin? 
Missing u 
I miss u 2
After skool 2day can we go somewhere?
What time?
Like 4
Kk but I promised Todd I would take him to the park after skool, okay?
Kay I’ll drop u off at home then come back at 4 2 pick u up
I g2g. I love u <3
Love u 2 <3
“Jamie?”
“Huh”
Stephanie leaned across her desk towards me. “The bell just rang for second period. You coming?”
“Oh, uh yeah. I’m right behind you.” I told her feeling stupid. The whole class period had passed right by me without me even knowing. I gathered my books and followed her out the door. She stopped in the hallway before we went into science class.
She turned to look at me with concern in her blue eyes. “Hey, jamster” she said using her old nickname for me, “are you okay. You seem distracted and out of it lately. I mean I know that it’s only been like two months since-
“Oh.My.God.” I said with anger in my voice that I had never used before. “Why does everyone keep asking me if I’m okay and reminding me about what happened? That was the past and this is the future!
Stephanie stared at me with disbelief in her eyes. And then when she spoke, her voice quivered. “Well, Excuse me for caring about my best friend. Jamie, I went through hell those three weeks that you were gone. You want to know why? Because I stayed up all night every single night that you were gone worrying sick about my best friend. I didn’t know if you were dead or alive. That’s why I’m worried about you now. But if I’m wrong by that then I guess you can just talk to me when you appreciate our friendship.” She turned and walked away. Leaving me standing in the hallway with everyone staring at me.
I sighed and felt like a total bitch for talking to her like that. She was only trying to help me. I put my head down and walk into my next class. The rest of the day passes by like a blur. When the bell rings at three for dismissal, I walk to the parking lot and look for sean.