Status: Very much active!

One Last Chance

One.

Severus Snape was dying. Nagini's venom was quickly spreading through him. Blood was gushing from his neck and chest. He could feel his heart beat starting to slow, his vision becoming blurred. He was dying and he couldn't get to Potter to carry out his mission. His promise to the man he had considered his father was shot to hell. He had failed. Everything he had fought for, lied for, and risked his life for was all for nothing. He had failed Harry Potter. He had failed Dumbledore. He had failed Lily. He had sworn to protect her son from harms way. To keep him alive. To keep him safe. The end was coming and it was all for nothing. Severus had only returned to the Dark Lord on Dumbledore's orders. He had agreed to be the spy for the Order of the Pheonix. He had lied to and deceived the most powerful man that walked this earth. Only to die in the end.

"Professor Snape!" A voice loomed over him. He couldn't tell who it belonged to, but it was very familiar. He focused and saw Pott-Harry standing over him. He was minutes away from death, so why not call him by his first name? "He's bleeding everywhere!" Harry exclaimed and Severus wondered who he was talking to. "Get me something. Anything! We need to close these wounds. Now!" He couldn't believe his own ears. The boy was trying to help him. After everything he had put him through. After years of him tormenting him and he was still trying to save his life when he had every right to leave him here to die.

Severus reached out into the darkness, managing to seize Harry's arm. Harry turned abruptly to face him. "Professor!" He said, staring down at him, shocked that he was awake. Or at the physical contact. One of the two. "We're going to help you. Just hold on." He promised him. Severus didn't say a word, just moved down until he was holding Harry's hand, clinging to it for dear life. Harry grasped him back and turned to face the people he had entered with.

He was able to focus just enough to tell that it was Ron and Hermione that were with him. Of course. He should have known they wouldn't separate during a time like this. "Don't just fucking stand there! " He heard Harry scream. "Heal him Hermione! Use the counter curse for puncture marks." That wouldn't do anything except seal the poison in even more. He would have told them this if he had enough strength left in him to speak, but he didn't so he just lay against the wall, hoping that one of them would have enough sense to realize it. "Harry" Hermione began, her voice shaking "If I seal it, the poison will continue to spread throughout his body and it will just kill him faster. I don't know any spells to get poison out. I don't think there's anything else we can do for him. There's no time to take him back to the castle."

He felt Harry's hand slip from his own and him stand up. There was a scream of curse words, a loud thump against the wall, and then silence. He assumed that Harry had hit the wall.

Suddenly, Snape remembered his mission. "Harry." He managed to croak out. At first he wasn't sure if anybody could hear it, but then he felt the boy by his side. He concentrated first on the memories he would need to know to destroy the Dark Lord just in case he died before he could finish. Then, at least the most important part of his job would be finished. He then added memories of his time's with Lily. It wouldn't help him with his mission, but it would help him understand that he had always loved his mother. That he had always been on his side. Had always fought for him. Risked his life for him. Even now, he was dying for him.

He grasped for his wand to withdraw the memories himself, but couldn't find it anywhere. "Take my memories now." He managed to croak out. He felt Harry's wand by his head and the memories flowing out of him. The boy shouted for someone to get him a vial and he assumed one was produced when Harry lowered his wand and grasped his hand again. He opened his eyes as wide as he could and looked into Harry's eyes.

When he looked at him just then he saw nothing that resembled James Potter. His eyes, those were Lily's eyes. His braveness, his caring nature, that was all from Lily. He wasn't James son, he was Lily's. Tears began slowly sliding down his cheeks as he thought about it. He seized Harry's robes, pulling him close so only he could hear him. "You have your mothers eyes." He told him, looking intensely into those big green eyes. Then he felt his grip loosening on Harry and his mind leaving him. Blackness finally overtook him as he left this world.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thoughts?