Status: Very much active!

One Last Chance

Fourteen.

Severus hurried across the grounds, glancing behind him to make sure he was not being followed. He winced as he crunched through the leaves now littering the grounds. Fall had definitely come. He didn’t stop to admire the beauty, though. He was too focused on getting to the apparition point.

For the past few days, Remus had been following him around attempting to talk to him. He had ignored the man completely. He had nothing left to say to him. No matter how many times the other man told him that he was sorry, it would never be enough. Not for what he did. It seemed like this wasn’t going to stop the wolf, though. Today he had even had the nerve to wait for him outside his quarters before breakfast! Severus wouldn’t put it past him to follow him to the apparition point and grab onto him as he left.

Reaching the apparition point, he scanned the area once more. It appeared that he had gotten out without being noticed. Quickly, he turned on his heel and vanished into thin air. After what seemed like hours of being squeezed through a small tube, Severus finally landed on his feet, gasping for air. He would never get used to the feeling of apparation.

Looking around the small ally he had landed in, he quickly pulled out his wand and transfigured his clothing into a pair of muggle jeans and a sweater. He now looked like a common muggle. Quickly, he strode out of the ally and across the street to his destination.

As he entered the bar, he was surprised to see it in full swing. There were scruffy men in cowboy hats and boots playing darts, clean shaven men who looked to be in their early thirties drinking bottles of beer and yelling at a television as a muggle sport called soccer played in the background, girls and guys who looked to be in their early twenties downing shots while they danced provocatively in a large group, and a group of middle aged couples sitting at tables, drinking cocktails. Why was the place so busy? Oh right, it was Saturday night. He had completely forgotten.

Wishing he could be as carefree as the people around him, he walked up to the bar and waited for the bartender to notice him. “Severus!” He exclaimed. “Long time no see. What can I get you to drink? The usual or something stronger? You look like you could use a pick me up right about now!” Severus allowed himself a small smile at the man’s words. He had known John since he was a teenager. He had met him one summer when he had been walking the streets of London alone, not having anything else to do. It was after his fall out with Lily and he was completely alone.

John had stumbled into him by accident as he was walking down a dark ally, causing Severus to pull his wand out on him. When he realized the man was a muggle, he made to obliviate him, but John had informed him that he knew of the magical world. His cousin was a wizard from America. They had become fast friends that summer and John had introduced him to an entirely new world. A world he had left behind until now.

Severus glanced around the crowded bar before leaning forward. “I need something ah-stronger, if you catch my drift.” He muttered. John’s eyes widened in surprise, but he just mumbled back “H, C, E, M, W, A, or S.” These were the code words he had come up with in trying to hide his little side business. Obviously, nobody would ever be able to guess. Severus snorted inside his head before reaching for his wallet. “5 E and a 20 of H.” John bent down and began digging around in his bag stashed under the counter, preparing everything.

After a moment he came up again. “It was a pleasure seeing you again Severus.” He said, reaching out to shake his hand. As they did so, he slipped the bundle up his sleeve and Severus slipped the money into his palm. “Have a nice evening.” He said before walking out of the bar and apparating back to Hogwarts.

Now that he had what he wanted, he could hardly get down to his quarters fast enough. He half ran the entire way, not caring if anybody saw him. He’d just blast them out of the way if they attempted to halt him. He hurried down the dungeon steps, ignoring the Slytherin’s lingering in the hallways, probably up to some type of mischief. They could have at it. He didn’t care as long as they didn’t murder anybody.

Stepping inside his quarters, he cursed under his breath as he heard voices coming from the living room. He had completely forgotten about Draco and Harry. Why were they still at home, anyways? It was almost eight o’clock on a Saturday night. Shouldn’t they be somewhere causing mischief?

Especially since it was Harry’s first night out of the Hospital Wing. To everybody’s relief, the boy had awoken the day after the incident. He had been completely healed by Poppy, but she had insisted that he stay there for nearly a week. To his immense joy, Avery had been expelled, the Ministry had been informed of his doings, and he was now awaiting trial. He could be sentenced to Azkaban for his actions.

Severus stalked toward the living room, fully intending on telling the boys off for merely being there. He was being an ass, he knew, but it was how he had been getting his emotions out over the last few days. He grimaced as he remembered a particular Potions class where he had reduced a Ravenclaw girl to tears by informing her that if she did not shut her mouth and work on her potion, that she would meet the same unfortunate death as her brother.

Her brother had been killed a few years back during the war. He was nine years old and Greyback had gotten ahold of him. He still shuddered as he recalled seeing the little boys mangled body in Riddle Manor, on display for the Death Eaters to laugh at. Severus knew that he had hit a new low and he should probably apologize for his actions, even if it completely destroyed his reputation. What he had said to her was utterly cruel.

Coming into the living room, he couldn’t bring himself to tell the boys off. They were lying on the couch together, Draco’s head on the other boy’s chest. Harry was reading him a novel of some sort, but he couldn’t figure out what it was yet. “My bounty is as boundless as the sea, my love as deep; the more I give to thee, the more I have, for both are infinite.” Harry recited softly.

Severus was shocked as he realized what Harry was reading. It wasn’t the fact that he was reading a muggle novel that surprised him, it was the novel itself. Shakespeare was a very hard author to understand. It was an even bigger challenge to enjoy and appreciate his works, as many found them boring. He was also shocked to see that Draco was hanging onto every single word, a dreamy mist clouding his eyes as he looked up at Harry.

Without thinking, he reached for the camera on the shelf next to him and moved closer, snapping a picture without them noticing. He retreated as he waited for the picture to develop. When it finally did, Severus smiled at what he saw. Harry’s mouth was moving, reciting the words. Draco looked at the book before looking up at Harry with that same clouded expression and pressing a kiss to his forehead. The picture would make an excellent gift for the couple someday, or provide a very good piece of blackmail. Whichever worked out better.

As he continued to stare at the happy couple in the picture, he felt a deep aching in his chest. That should have been him and Remus. Not that he would ever do something as silly as read aloud to his lover, but it still hurt to think about it. Slipping the picture into his pocket, he strode down the hallway and into his room. As he shut the door behind him, he placed a strong locking and silencing charm on it. Sitting down on his bed, he removed his baggie from his pocket.

The drugs tumbled out onto the bed and he contemplated which one he would put into his system tonight. Making a decision at last, he opened his closet and rummaged around, coming out with a heavily warded chest. He sifted through it, finally coming up with what he needed.
Sitting back down, he swabbed his arm clean.

He picked up the needle and smiled as the brown gooey substance slid into it. Without a second thought about what he was about to do, he shoved the needle into his arm. Once he was positive the needle was in his vein, he injected the drug into his system. He watched as the syringe filled with his own dark blood. Once he was satisfied that the drug had been administered, he pulled the needle out and banished the blood inside. Smiling, he lay back on the bed as the high began to overtake him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Finally a new chapter! I haven't had much time to write lately, but hopefully that will change soon!