Status: Very much active!

One Last Chance

Eighteen.

They must have fallen asleep cuddling on the blanket because when he next awoke it was beginning to get light out and he was freezing his ass off. He smiled to himself as he looked down to where Remus was lying on his chest, peacefully sleeping. He really didn't want to wake him up, but he knew they could not stay where they were.

"Hey" He whispered, shaking him gently. "Remus, wake up." The other man began to stir, mumbling incoherently and attempting to bury himself in his shoulder even farther. "Oh no you don't, get up you imbecile!" He shook him a little harder.

Remus opened his eyes. "Whasgoinon?"

"It's nearly morning, we fell asleep out here."

"So it wasn't a dream?" He asked, sitting up and looking around.

Severus smiled "No, it wasn't."

The two men stood and crept back inside the castle. Once they reached the staircase that led to Remus's quarters, they both hesitated. They stood in awkward silence for a few moments before Remus grabbed him arm and led the way.

After what seemed like forever, they reached his quarters and went inside. He noticed immediately that something was different, but he could not pinpoint the source of it. Studying the living room for a moment longer, he realized what it was. Remus had arranged his sitting room to look like a near perfect model of his own. He felt a weird squeezing sensation in his heart as he followed him into the bedroom.

They both stripped down to their boxers and got into bed together. He glanced over at the alarm clock and saw that it was half past four. No wonder he felt as if he had just been hit by a truck. Remus turned over to face him and for a moment, they just looked into one another’s eyes. He could not even begin to describe how good it felt to have him back in his life.

Severus reached out and began caressing his cheek, loving the way Remus closed his eyes and leaned into the touch. He scooted closer and closed his eyes. They sought out each other’s lips in the darkness and met in a slow, but sweet kiss. All thoughts were lost as the other man’s mouth moved over his for the longest time. They were both completely out of breath, but they refused to come up for air. They refused to let this feeling go away.

This feeling of complete bliss, of complete love and affection. This was the longest they had ever kissed without things getting sexual. He was glad for this, as he did not want to go down that route too soon. Especially when that was the reason everything had gone to hell last time.

They finally broke apart, gasping for air, but smiling just the same. He motioned for Remus to turn over so he could put his arm around him, but found himself being jerked to his chest instead. They both lay on their sides, legs and arms wrapped around each other.

The feeling of his chest pressed up against someone else's was making him uncomfortable and a little panicky, but he tried as hard as he could to ignore it. This was Remus, he had no reason to be as uncomfortable as he was.

When he next awoke, it was to that man’s stupid alarm clock blaring. Not beeping like it was supposed to, blaring like a bloody fire alarm those Muggles used. He rolled over and began hitting it repeatedly. He wished the damn thing would just shut up already! It finally quit its obnoxious blaring and he began drifting off into a half sleep.

Before he could fully submerge himself to his tiredness, Remus was trying to shake him awake. "Leave me." He mumbled. When the impossible man just continued at his antics, he pulled the covers over his head and shut his eyes tight. He was acting childish, but to hell with it. All he wanted was sleep.

He was so tired and he had a feeling it had to do with his lack of drug usage for the past twelve hours. He had no reason to want to put the stupid drugs into his system any longer. He had no reason, yet he felt like he needed to at that very moment.

The shaking of his person finally ceased. Not even a moment later, the man had thrown a pillow at his head. Severus reached his hand out from under the covers and flung it back in the direction it had come from, hoping he didn't miss. "Missed me." Well damn.

He felt the pillow come down on top of him again, yet this time it repeatedly did so. He quickly crawled out from under the covers and picked up the nearest pillow. Remus backed up slowly, but not slowly enough. Severus hit him over the head with it, giving him the expression that sent seventh years crying. It had no effect on him what-so-ever. The man even started laughing at him, hitting every part of him he could reach with his own pillow.

Before he knew it, they were both chasing each other around the room, roaring with laughter. Never before had he allowed himself to be this open, to feel this free. It was a great feeling. He finally charged at Remus from across the room, sending him flying to the ground. The other man wrapped his arms around his waist, pulling him down with him.

Remus leaned up to kiss him, but Severus moved out of his reach and they wrestled around on the ground for a long moment. He finally managed to pin him underneath him. He leaned in until his mouth was centimeters away from the other mans, making him think he was going to kiss him. At the last possible second he pulled away and smashed Remus over the head with a pillow instead.

Their fun was interrupted ten minutes later when a bell rang, signaling the end of breakfast. They quickly rolled off of each other and scrambled to get ready. While Remus changed, Severus brushed his teeth with the other man’s toothbrush, used his cologne, and combed his hair. He wrinkled his nose as he looked down at his robes. He could not remember the last time he changed them.

He walked back into the bedroom to find Remus fully dressed and digging through the closet. When he finally submerged, he was holding a pair of navy blue robes in his hands. He held them out to him.

“What am I supposed to do with these?” He asked.

“Wear them.” Remus smirked.

He raised an eyebrow “Why in Merlin’s name would I do that?”

“Well if you’d rather wear those, be my guest.” He said, setting them down on the bed and exiting the
room.

Ten minutes later he was dressed in the hideous blue robes and heading down to the dungeons.

Remus was walking with him until they reached the third floor, where his classroom was located. “If one person laughs at me, I am going to jinx YOU.” He threatened. Remus just laughed and took his hand.
Severus allowed this for a brief moment before jerking his hand away. “I worry that you’re turning sentimental on me.”

They reached the outside of his classroom and he gave the man a quick kiss as he hurried into the classroom. He turned on his heel to find a group of third years gaping at him. “Ten points from Ravenclaw and Gryffindor for lingering in the corridors!” He shouted. They closed their mouths and scrambled away as fast as possible.

To tell the truth, the whole angry thing was just an act. He was actually highly amused at the entire thing. People were so shocked by him showing any human tendencies that they actually gaped and stared when they saw him doing so. He could have some serious fun with this.

He was ten minutes late to his first class, but it was a group of first years. He had already scared them to death over the past few weeks, so they were quietly waiting for him when he arrived. He actually attempted to teach his morning classes for once, but his energy was slowly running out.

He was so desperate to have some kind of drug in his body that he was beginning to shake and sweat. He was in an extremely irritable mood as well. He even took points from his own house during his fifth year class. Nothing could keep his attention and it was just getting worse as the day progressed.

He walked into lunch in a horrible mood, even managing to startle some of the older students with the look on his face. He took a seat next to Remus, not missing the timid expression on his face as he did so.

“How were your morning classes.” He asked him. Severus suddenly felt extremely annoyed with everything and everyone around him.

“Fine, Lupin.” He replied in a dangerous tone. Remus seemed to take the hint and backed off, shoving food into his mouth at a rapid pace. He was slowly beginning to lose his appetite and picked at a bacon sandwich, not really eating it as much as spreading the pieces out across his place. When the bell rang to signal that lunch was over, he scraped his chair back and strode from the room.

He headed to the dungeons and began teaching his fourth year class. Halfway through, he left the room, claiming he had to run an errand. The truth was that he couldn’t take it anymore. He was having extreme withdrawals. As much as he had tried to fight it, he just couldn’t. The need was too strong. The want was too overwhelming.

Quickly, he rushed into his bedroom and dug through his nightstand, finally producing a needle and the heroin he had just bought three days ago. He prepared the needle and stuck the needle in his vein as fast as possible without putting his life in danger. The second the drug entered his system, he felt an immediate relief. He threw everything back in the drawer and put some eye drops in his eyes. Hurrying through his house, he downed two shots of Firewhiskey before heading back to his classroom.

The high began to kick in fully an hour later. Unfortunately, this was also his seventh year class with Draco and Harry. The students filed into the room and he prayed that the eye drops had done their job. It wouldn’t do for anybody to discover his drug usage. The boys had been watching him more closely ever since his breakdown that one night. He barely felt high, so he figured it would be alright to stand and pass the tests out.

As he did so, his head began spinning. He gripped the edge of the desk to keep from falling over. Being above the influence for nearly twenty four hours had lowered his tolerance level again. He swayed on the spot for a moment, hoping nobody would notice his unsteadiness. To make up for it, he glared at the whole class.

“I expect you all to pass this test. It would be a shame if somebody got a T or a D, now wouldn’t it?” He steadied himself and began to pass out the papers, going slower than usual. Draco and Harry both shot him looks as he reached them, but he pretended not to notice.

At the end of class, he ordered everybody to leave their papers on his desk so he wouldn’t have to get up again. Thank Merlin this was his last class of the day. The high had fully kicked in and he was getting into the state of zoning out for long periods of time. The door finally shut and he leaned back in his chair, closing his eyes. Not even a moment later, the door slammed back open. His eyes shot open and he watched as Harry strode into the room.

“What?” He sighed. He really wasn’t in the mood to be questioned about his behavior. He raised an eyebrow as Harry sent several locking and privacy charms at the classroom door before turning back to him.

“Show me your arms.”

God damn everyone! It wasn’t even that obvious! He wasn’t dealing with this again. “Get out, Potter.” He looked back down and pretended to start grading the papers in front of him.

“Petrificus Totalis!” He plunged his hands inside his robes for his wand a second too late and the spell hit him square in the chest. He felt his body snap together, his wand roll away, and he fell back against his desk chair. He was going to fucking kill the boy when he released him.