Status: Very much active!

One Last Chance

Two.

Severus slowly opened his eyes, not having the slightest clue as to where he was or what he was doing there. As hard as he tried to focus on his surroundings, all he could see were white blurs all around him. What kind of place was he in that the sun was shining through? He should be in the dark, confined, dungeons right now. He never slept anywhere except for there and his house on Spinner's End, which was equally darkened. Due to all the light surrounding him, he was certain he was at neither place. He then wondered if he had been captured and not realized it yet. He moved his hands and feet slowly. He wasn't tied down, so it was safe to assume he wasn't in any harm. If that wasn't the case, then where the hell was he?

That's when it hit him. When he remembered. The war. The Dark Lord. Nagini. He was dead. He wasn't coming back. He had failed his mission. He wondered if Dumbledore would come for him now. Scold him. Maybe even hate him for not doing what he was entrusted to do sixteen years ago. He damn well hated himself for it. Maybe Potter would show up here as well. Severus knew that the chances were slim to none that he could have survived the Dark Lord without the knowledge he was supposed to have provided him. He sighed before trying to see more of his new surroundings. He was dead and there was nothing he could do to help save the wizarding world now. He was useless. Not needed. It felt kind of nice. He had been with the Dark Lord for twenty years before his death. It was great to finally be free of the burden he'd been carrying on his shoulders for so long.

It was becoming painfully bright in the room, but his vision was starting to clear and he could just make out a few objects in the room. "So this is what heaven's like" He muttered to himself, looking around at the beds laying next to him. The room looked strangely like the hospital wing at Hogwarts. "Not quite Severus" A voice interrupted his thoughts. He had to be hearing things because that voice sounded like it belonged to none other than Remus Lupin. It couldn't be, though. Remus was still alive. At least he hoped he was. He knew not to get his hopes up. This was war. Hundreds died in wars. Thousands even.

He felt a great movement all around him and his eyes came into focus for mere seconds. Arthur Weasley, Draco Malfoy, Remus Lupin, and Harry Potter were all standing over him talking and smiling. He closed his eyes, not able to bear the sight of them. They were dead. All of them. It was all his fault. If only he'd been able to get the memories to Potter. Lives could have been spared. Memories could have been made. Families established. The Weasley's wouldn't have been without a father. The Dark Lord could have been destroyed. Life could have gone on for everyone, but no. Here they stood in front of him. Dead.

It was too much to bear and Severus found that he didn't have a problem displaying his emotions now that he was dead as he felt tears streaming down his face. They all made sounds of alarm at him. "Severus!" He heard Arthur trying to talk to him. Trying to calm him down. He paid no attention to him. "I'm sorry." He managed to burst out in between his sobs. "I should have protected you. All of you. I'm so so sorry" He couldn't talk any longer and the sobs began to wretch through him like waves.

He felt a gentle hand caressing his forehead, trying to calm him. It didn't help. Only made his sobs increase at the thought of someone trying to comfort him when it was his fault they were dead. He lost himself in his grief, blocking out all those around him. He suddenly felt someone grab him and then there was a liquid being poured down his throat and blackness overtook him once more.