Retarded In Love

Chapter 2

Maria led me into the kitchen, and we sat down at the table. It was awkward, to say the least. It was silent, except for the sound of David trudging up the stairs. I let my eyes wander around the room. It was really big... home-y, the all-American household. Definitely nothing like I was used to. I looked at the clock, and it read 9:00am. It's too early for this...

"So... Would you like anything to drink?" Maria asked.

"Uh... Water would be nice."

I watched as she got up and walked to one of the cupboards to get a glass, and I watched David come up behind her and wrap his arms around her waist gently. He kissed her cheek before pulling away slightly and turning to face me.

"Well, I'm off to work. Nice seeing you again, Ellie. Glad you're home. Bye sweetie," He said before kissing Maria one more time and leaving the room.

Maria set the glass of water in front of me and I thanked her before smiling slightly. "I still can't believe you're married. And to David. It's so surreal. You've got a life, and a husband, and a house. It's just too cool."

She shrugged. "Yeah, but I bet you had a lot more fun than me. You went out and traveled the world, did amazing things, met amazing people. I did watch you, never missed an episode." She giggled. "I was going to ask you for a guest appearance or something, but David didn't agree with the idea."

I laughed and took a drink. "Yeah, well you see where 'living' got me... And I promise I won't be here too long. I hate to intrude like this, I just didn't have anywhere to go. And it's stupid, really, because I kicked myself out of his house, without thinking, and it was so impulsive and dumb on my part, but I'm 23 years old and I don't want to live like that anymore, four years of partying is too much. I want a family, and a house, and a real job, I want what you have..."

It took me a while to realize it, but I was crying. Maria looked panicked, and I couldn't help but look at the table and bask in the awkwardness. After a while, I calmed down and was able to look up again.

"Elanore... Oh, Elanore... You can have that. You can have whatever you want, you're beautiful, and smart, and talented, and just outright amazing. So, you partied. It's human nature to go out and live, but you can stay here for as long as you want. You're home now. I love you, David loves you, your family loves you and I know your mother misses you..."

"Did you tell her I was here?"

She shook her head no, and it was silent again for a while.

"Ellie... You look tired. I'll show you to your room."

I followed her up the stairs and down the hall to the farthest door on the right. She opened the door, and I followed her in. I looked around slightly, and the big sliding glass doors caught my eye.

"David and I are both afraid of heights... So we decided to make this the guest room." She smiled slightly before hugging me tight and leaving the room quietly.
♠ ♠ ♠
Read.
Comment.
Subscribe.
Feedback?
Please and Thank You!