Retarded In Love

Chapter 49

It was mid-afternoon by the time Bran and I finally got to go for our walk. The sun was still shining brilliantly as we stepped out of the house and walked down the drive. He grabbed my hand as we approached the street, and I lead us down the sidewalk to the left.

"Where are we going?" He asked me, playing with my fingers.

"Mmm... I dunno," I replied, smiling up at him shyly..

I was lying. I knew exactly where we were going. I was going to clear things up with Maria. Not just because Bam told me I should, I knew I should... I've wanted to since day one. I had no idea how it was going to go, if we could ever be friends again, but I hated feeling the way I did for treating her the way I did... Even if she did deserve it.

After a few minutes of small talk and walking, we finally arrived in Maria's drive way. Brandon stopped and turned me to face him. He cocked his eyebrows and tightened his grip on my hand. "Ells, why are we here?"

I sighed. "Because, I need to talk to her, Bran. She's my best friend forever, no matter what..."

He was silent for a while, thinking, staring deep into my eyes as if he could see what I was thinking. "Do you want me to stay with you?"

I simply shrugged, and he sighed. Bran pulled me tight against his chest, then kissed the top of my head lightly before walking away. I watched him for a while, then swallowed my pride and walked up the stone sidewalk to her porch.

I knocked on the door and took a deep breath. I had no idea what I was going to say. The moments before she opened the door were the longest in my life to date. When she finally did open it, she stared back at me in disbelief. I could tell she was scared, but so was I. We stared awkwardly at each other for the longest time, neither one of us knowing what to do. I offered her a weak smile, and she returned it before we dragged each other into a teary hug.

+ + +

"I never meant for this..." Maria sat down beside me on the sofa.

"Me either... But it's ok..." I shuffled my feet on the floor.

"No, it's not ok. And you know it. Ellie, it was a terrible thing to do."

"But you didn't mean for it to be this way, right?"

She put her hand on my knee, and I looked up at her. She had tears in her eyes. "I feel like a total backstabber. You're my best friend. I can't believe I did that to you."

"Don't even worry about it. I'm with Dico now..."

She let out a loud giggle I had been longing to hear. "Dico? How in the hell did that happen?"

"It's a long story." I laughed.

"I want to hear it!"
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry, I've been crazy busy!