The Greenwood Shade

DEUX

The news of the prince’s mysterious disappearance sent panic and destruction across the Kingdom of Mesha. Commoners ran throughout the kingdom square as animals moved about wildly. Horses trampled over children and women who were too slow, leaving mangled bodies across stone paths. Shop doors blew shut and locked while fires engulfed the wooden structures, owners and customers now baking within the makeshift ovens. Survivors ran to the castle and pushed against the iron gates. Men began to clamber over others as they desperate tried to climb up the gate and over the stones above. The very few that made it to the top would suddenly drop below, dead weight hitting anyone in its path.

Things within the castle were still calm. A few slaves were scattered about the cold halls, cleaning the stone floors with the little rags given to them. A few others were busy shaking and hitting the heavy tapestries and curtains along the walls or dusting the large family portraits, being careful around the gold frames. The kitchen staff quickly flittered throughout the kitchen and dining hall as meals were prepared and served. Stocky women carried full trays of food out to the King and his silent guests. The absence of the prince was noted by the empty chair on the King’s right. His usual table setting was gone, along with his favorite dishes.

The quiet atmosphere within the dining hall was interrupted by a booming knock coming from another area of the castle. Everyone around the table looked away from their plates and around the room, eyes wide. “Do not be alarmed. I’m sure it is nothing to worry about. It happens often,” the King told his guests with a forced smile. It was a lie, easily foretold by the wrinkling of his forehead and a large gulp of his wine. The guests went back to their meals. The air began to turn silent but was once again interrupted by the booming noise. It intensified, shaking the castle walls until a deafening cry filled the air. Everyone at the table jumped out of their chairs and ran towards the back doors. Tears filled the eyes of the women while the men cursed at one another, pushing at the door that wouldn’t budge.

Doors at the opposite end of the hall, near the entrance of the kitchen, sprung open. Soldiers and guards filed into the room, their backs to the royal court. They held out their weapons and shields and did their best to block any commoners that threatened to come into the grand hall. The sharp swords sliced into anyone that came close to the men. Commands echoed around the room but were barely heard. There were too many people. Too many hysteric commoners were pushing and shoving their way in. They made their way to the kitchen doors quickly. Screams from the staff collided with the commands and shouts that were already clouding the air.

Throughout the chaos, a young boy managed to squeeze out of the kitchen and make his way into the hall. He slid across the floor and hid underneath the grand table, tears running down his eyes as he stopped, looking over to the kitchen door. He slowly began to crawl again, this time backwards, until he reached the head of the table. He jumped with a cry when he felt a hand on his shoulder and another around his mouth. He instantly tried to get away but calmed slightly at the sight of the Queen’s face near his. She waited until he was calm enough before moving his hands away from him.

They both sat in silence for a few moments, taking in the sounds around them. The Queen quickly reached over and took the boy’s hands, placing a golden ball in them. She closed his grip around it and looked straight up to his eyes. “You must take this. You must take this and run. Run as far as you can and hide. Hide anywhere you can,” she said quickly and softly, her hands still clutching on his. He tried to pull his hands away and protest. “Whatever you do, you must keep this and yourself safe. A time of good will come to the land and you must be here to lead it,” she added, tears streaming down her cheeks as he body slumped down more.

The boy finally looked away from her face and towards her dress. The purple material was stained crimson around her midsection. Her chest slowly raised and lowered, causing the stain to grow. He shook his head. “Your majesty, we have to-“ He stopped talking when the grip on his hands tightened. He watched as she slumped over a bit more, taking a few gulps and licking her lips slightly. She smiled, despite all of this, and reached over to move some of the blonde locks that fell to his forehead.

“I designate you as the new heir to the throne. Please…” she said softly, still smiling lightly. The boy shook his head and cried harder as he watched the Queen’s hand fall from his face. “Protect it with your life,” she muttered with one last squeeze of her hand. The boy held onto the golden ball, crying as he stared at the Queen. He slowly moved away from her and peeked out from under the table. He made a quick run past a small group of commoners and ran further into the castle, finding a safe place to hide as he was told.