Status: Barely active, but still alive

Complications Between Mythical Creatures

Cornered

Abby and I walk quietly back the way we came. I can feel her wanting to say something and I should probably talk to her, but I just can’t shake what happened off. The image of Jake walking away keeps replaying through my mind. I couldn’t help but think about the way he refused to look me in the eyes… or about the way I felt when our hands touched. I felt it deep in the pit of my stomach…Everything in me wanted to be so close to him… But he pushed me away. Why? Didn’t he feel the same? Am I crazy for feeling the way I do? There’s no way that I’m the only one that feels like this.

Abby touched my arm, “Hey, you okay?” I looked up at her. I could see the concern in her eyes, “I don’t know…” I looked down. How am I supposed to feel about this? “Don’t worry, everything will be okay,” she hugged me tight. I just nodded. But the truth is, neither of us know what will happen. Whether or not things will be alright is completely unknown to us both.

I looked back up at my best friend. I could tell that she was worried about me; however I know that she’s happy. Unlike me, she was able to get some affection. Even his phone number.

Image


I shut the door behind me and locked the dead bolt. I had dropped Abby off on the way home. I didn’t feel like messing around anymore and she understood. Taking the ingredients into the kitchen I pulled out a small pot and turned on the stove. One by one I removed all the herbs from the large bag and put them on to the counter. Setting aside the ingredients I needed for my mother’s potion I put away the rest in the cabinets.

How could Jake be so cold? I thought we actually connected last night… I opened the old recipe book and began making the potion. His reaction… when our hands touched.. He felt it too. Yet he still denied it all. What does that mean? I sprinkled the last few ingredients into the pot and stirred the thick concoction.

Why is this bothering me so much? I had just met the guy less than 24 hours ago and I’m ridiculously hung up on him. This isn’t like me. This isn’t like me at all. Why am I acting this way? This is how Abby is. Not me. I sighed as I brought the pot up to my mother’s bedroom, “I need to go for a run…”

Image


I pulled a thick sweater over my head, a good run usually cleared me up pretty well. Looking up in the mirror I checked to see if I missed any chunks of hair behind my head. It always annoyed me when that happened. Or when I got those little tufts of hair that refused to be brushed back into a ponytail.

Making my way back down the hall I quietly opened my mother’s bedroom door. Peeking around the wood I saw that she was turned over away from me. Her bandaged arm resting on top of the blankets. I smiled to myself as the door clicked shut.

My mom had such a relieved smile on her face when I knocked on her door. It was clear that she was in pain, but she did her best to put a brave face on for me. Now that I think about it, that’s how she’s always been ever since I could remember. Especially when Dad died… A wave of heartbreak washed over me. A knot tightened in the pit of my stomach, It’s okay, Scarlet. Just go for a run.

Image


I don’t know what it is, but there’s something about running that makes me feel so free. I love to push myself and run as fast as I can in any direction. The combination of the damp air flowing through my hair and past my skin, my feet pounding the forest ground, and my heart pounding in my ears relaxes me and helps me feel so at ease.

One thing that I’ve found is that, I have to be running in the woods to feel the most at ease. I had gone out of town with mine and Abby’s mom, and Abby once. It was a year or two back. We had gone to San Francisco and stayed in the city. I had decided to go for a run while they all stayed in and watched a movie in our hotel room. It was around night time, and I went for a run through the city.

Something had felt off the whole way through. I felt so out of place, and not because I was in a different place, but because the setting felt all kinds of wrong. I feel more at home in the woods. It’s kind of strange, but kind of funny at the same time.

Thinking about it now makes me laugh. I feel like some sort of wild animal.

I slow my pace to a jog and decide to wonder off the path I usually take. I don’t always change my routine, but I think a little change may be in order for today.

Today… The thought hits me hard and my stomach squeezes. I slow down to a steady walk. Jacob….. Just thinking his name makes my inside flip. My hand begins to warm up with the thought of his touch. The electricity…. I’ve stopped completely now and lean against the nearest tree.

I wonder what I did to upset him… I can’t help but think about him now. Now that I’m all alone and don’t have to worry about any one seeing me. Deep in thought, something suddenly catches my attention. Over there. To the right. I quietly make my way past a couple of trees to my right. What is that? I don’t feel like I’m in danger, but I feel like I should know that something is over there. But what?

I hide behind a tree, ready for what might be on the other side. Peeking around I find that I’m at the top of a ridge. The ground cuts off a few feet in front of me and drops down about 30 feet. And below, is something that catches my breath.

The full porcelain moon shines down on a pack of about 8 wolves that are assembled together throughout a clearing of rocks. One of them is sitting on top of a rock, authority radiates off of the large black as night wolf. His deep golden eyes gaze down at the rest of his pack. Nothing but the sound of silence fills the air, none of the wolves say anything. Yet the way that they are all looking at each other makes it seem as though they are somehow communicating.

The rest of his pack is a mixture of appearances. There is a small grey wolf that sits in the center of the rest. All of the creatures are the size of horses but more muscular. It has an almost graceful aura around it, yet strong as if it could take on anything seems uncomfortable under the alphas gaze, it looks as though it is ready to leave them already, but it knows that it cannot.

Another wolf sits beside the tiny wolf, this one is almost as small yet it is a bit larger than the first one. This one sits with a more innocent aura around it as if it is the youngest. This one has obviously hasn't grown much yet, it is still a pup. It has sandy colored fur with a deeper brown and black over lay on its back.

In front and to the right of the pup is a chocolate colored beast who's face is a lighter shade than the rest of his body. On its left is a slender wolf with dark grey fur that has an over layer of black that fades into spots through the rest of his body. The fur on this wolf seems soft and sleek.

Behind the first wolf and a little of to the left is dark silver coated wolf. The deepness of the color almost makes it seem black. The look in its dark eyes reflected a temper not to be messed with. Beside it sits a wolf with thick and short brown hair. For reasons unknown a mocking look floats through its eyes. A light air surrounds this one.

Lastly, behind all of the wolves sits the largest one. A light wind rustles it thick reddish brown fur. It sits there a little bored of just sitting around. He turned his head ever so slightly and just as I was about to see the look in his eyes …

A deep howl sounded through the air, brushing against my skin. Now all of their heads were turned toward me. Eyes glowing and fur rising, the pack of wolves began to move. One by one, the wolves began to disappear. The large black one was the first to leave. Behind rocks and through trees. Yet as each one moved, the reddish brown wolf seemed to hesitate. It would look back at me every now and then as it left, like it wasn’t sure it was really seeing me. My stomach twisted up while fear washed over me. The large animals were leaving, but something didn’t feel right.

Part of me wanted to know exactly where each one was, but the other part of me refused to consider it. Deciding to go with the later thought, I turned on my heel to run away. But when I whirled around, I was greeted with the large face of the all black wolf. Its eyes bore themselves into mine. Its face scrunched up, threatening. A deep growl rumbled up and out its throat.

My heart sunk. Instinctively, I backed up, but with every step I took back, the impressively large animal took forward. Its head lowered, and its lips pulled even farther back as it barked and growled. Then, one by one, each of the wolves appeared. All hunched over, teeth growling, moving toward me. Step by step I grew closer to the edge. I glanced behind me and weighed my options. I don’t know what these wolves are capable of. I can either jump down the ledge, or blast my way through.

Centering myself I pull arms in front of myself, palm open and ready. I stop and plant my right foot forward and left one-too far. My left foot misses the ground, I’m too far back. I’ve run out of space and end up falling backwards and off the ledge.

My back crashes on to the rocky ground, knocking the air out of my lungs. My head is throbbing and my body aches from every angle. I try to get up but I can’t move. Everything hurts. I can still hear growling and barking. But it sounds different now. The tone is different. Blurred images dance in front of my eyes; I’m dizzy. Something brown is right above me, I try to focus on it but it just makes my head hurt more. I give up and everything goes black.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you for reading!

I'd also like to point out that this story has reached 39 subscribers!!!! I'm so happy and thankful! Thank you guys, especially the ones who have been with me from when I started this story!

Please rate, comment, and subscribe ! I love it when I hear from everyone so please let me know what you're thinking!