Status: Barely active, but still alive

Complications Between Mythical Creatures

Imprinted

Jacob


Another boring meeting. I seriously hate these things. The pack is gathered at the point. Sam sits on top of a big rock in front of every. Embry and Quil are sitting in the front, side by side, while Leah and Seth are behind them, followed by Paul and Jared, then, of course, me. I always try to sit towards the back so I can kind of hide and pretend that I’m paying attention.

I’d rather be working parole than sit through these stupid things. I roll my eyes as I look around for something to keep me entertained. I hate working patrol, but lately it’s been a good distraction. It keeps me moving, keeps me from thinking. Especially about her…

Ever since that day at the beach, I can’t stop thinking about her. Scarlet… Thinking her name stirs something in me, but I try to shake it off. The time we spent on the beach that one time floods my brain and my right paw begins to warm with the memory of the touch of her hand. And I stop. My head snaps up and looks around me.

I look at the rest of my pack and our surroundings. Why does this seem so familiar? I look from one pack member to another, then at everything around us.

Jacob. Sam’s voice booms through my head. My head snaps up, Yeah?

Do you have something to add? Everyone is looking at me now. Embry is grinning at me between Leah and Seth’s heads. I don’t meet his eyes, but I know that I got distracted and let my mind wander again. If only the entire pack wasn’t in wolf form, then I wouldn’t have to worry about being so careful about my thoughts being broadcasted to everyone.

No. I- Suddenly I’m cut off by Sam’s loud howl, We’re being watched. The entire pack instantly looks up behind me. Over my shoulder I see a figure standing behind a tree. Immediately I get ready to attack, but then it hits me. That pull deep inside me. I don’t know where it’s coming from, but everything inside me, down to my very core is being drawn up to that ledge. I look a little harder and realization settles in.

It’s her. For some reason, my heart sinks. I don’t understand it, but I suddenly don’t want her to be here. Surround it, Sam orders and everyone follows suit. One by one my pack disappears into the brush. I turn to do the same, but I don’t want to. I’m reluctant and look over my shoulder every few steps. She sees me and I know it. My body feels warm and strong, which means her eyes are fixed on me.

When we surround something, it’s never a good thing. Our intention is usually to kill, never to release or examine. I don’t even understand how she got here. There’s a reason why we meet in this spot. No one ever comes down here because it’s so deep into the woods.

I cut through some bushes and make my way to the ledge, I have her. Seth, Leah, hold my left flank. Embry, my right. Everyone else fall in. Sam orders.

No! I scream, but Sam is already advancing. What? Sam booms back at me.

She’s not a threat. I say, weaving my way through the trees and bushes.

Yes, she is. She’s not human.

What do you mean she’s not human?

Can’t you smell it, Jacob? She doesn’t smell like a human, or like a blood sucker. She’s something else, and I don’t like it. I’m along the edge of the ledge. I have a clear view of Scarlet. Now that Sam brings it up, Scarlet does have a different scent. But it’s not anywhere near as bad as the leeches scent. In fact, it smells good. Really good.

I inch closer to get a better scent, watching where I step so I don’t fall. I knock a small rock down in process and watch it bounce down the rocky wall and on to the hard ground below. Once it lands, I get a serious dose of déjà vu. I’ve seen this clearing from up here before. I’ve been up here before, but not like this. I try to think of when I was up here, but I wasn’t. I’ve never been up here. When I saw it was when....

My eyes grow wide and I snap my attention back to Scarlet. She’s still backing up and Sam’s still advancing. The point of view. Her scent… It’s sweet, but not too sweet… I’m trying too hard to think about what it is she smells like and lose focus on what’s happening.

Scarlet glances behind her then around. She pulls her arms in front of her in an X, plants one foot in front and the other back. But she misses the ground. She’s too far back and has run out of room. NO!!! I’m too far, I can’t save her. I watch helplessly as Scarlet falls backward and plummets to the rocky ground below.

I leap into the air and land beside her. Jake! Get away from her! You don’t know what she’s capable of. I look up at our leader standing above me. I can’t help but growl in response, No.

What?
Sam barks.

You heard me. I said no. Sam jumps down from the ledge and narrows his eyes at me. Scarlet makes a sound in front of me. I look down at her damaged body. Her eyes aren’t focused and she’s trying to get up. But she can’t. She groans in pain and my heart squeezes. The sound sends chills through my fur. I want to help but what can I do?

Jacob. She could hurt us. Did you see her arms right before she fell? She was preparing to attack. Sam takes a step toward Scarlet. My head instantly snaps up. Don’t you dare touch her! Of course she was preparing to attack, she was cornered! I growl, ready to tear anyone apart. I look around and see that the entire pack is now around us. I hear confused and angry thoughts. Leah’s anger, Jared’s irritation, and even Seth’s fear. Sam stops at my aggression. He looks at me confused and upset.

I can see that he’s upset that I’m not listening to him. I’ve always been head strong; but this is out right mutiny. No matter what I feel, or what I think, I’ve always listened. I look around again, everyone has just about the same look in their eyes. Then I see Embry.

He sits toward the back of pack with a knowing look in his eyes. Jacob. Get out of the way, don’t be stupid. Leah barks at me. I look at her square in the eyes, I said no. You want her? You’re gonna have to get through me. Much to my surprise, Leah takes a step back. Why are you being this way? Do you know this girl? She looks away from my eyes, annoyed.

Because.

Because what? Leah curls her lip as she looks at me out of the corner of her eye.

Because. Everyone’s head turns up to look at Embry. He stands up from his sitting position and makes his way toward me. I instantly tense up and begin growling again. Because what? Seth asks. I hadn’t noticed until now, but he was sitting in the back close to where Embry was, ears and tail down.

Because that girl. Is Jake’s imprint. Embry stops just a few feet from me, making me more tense. Hearing the word imprint draws that feeling back, and it swells. I look down and see that she’s still trying to get up, but she’s barely moving. She groans once more before she loses consciousness.

I see… Sam straightens his posture and nods, I apologize. In that case, you and Embry should take her to your house, Jake. It looks like that fall had some damage. Sam turns to leave, We’ll take your patrol shifts today.

Image
Scarlet


I woke to my entire body aching. Everything from head, to my shoulders, and even my legs hurt; but the pain in my head was probably the worst. “Ugh… Why is it so bright?” I hold my hand above my eyes in an attempt to shield it from the light. After blinking for what felt like a few minutes, my eyes finally adjusted to my surroundings. “Where am I?” I look around and find that I’m in someone else’s bed. There are posters of motorcycles on the walls, along with a bunch of clothes laying throughout the room.

“You’re up,” I look up and find an older man standing in the doorway. His skin is scary pale, with blonde hair, and are those gold eyes? He’s slim and actually attractive for someone that is probably someone’s father. He’s well dressed, a button up with slacks and a belt. I can see genuine concern in his eyes, but yet there’s something else there.

“Uhmm.. yeah?” I say getting up, but I got up too fast. My head begins to pound and my vision blurs and goes dark for a second. “Woah…” my right hand covers my eyes and I feel myself start to sway. The strange man is now at my side, “Careful.” He grasps my shoulders, steadying me.

“What happened?” I ask when my vision clears, “Who are you? And why are you so cold?” his hands feel like ice against my skin.

“I’m sorry,” he helps me lean against the wall that the bed is pushed against. “That’s alright,” I say rubbing my face. He reaches into his breast pocket and pulls out a small thin flashlight. “Please focus on my finger,” his left hand clicks the pack of the pen shaped flashlight while he holds his right index finger in front of my face. “Without moving your head, use your eyes to follow my finger,” he moves his index finger from side to side and up and down. I do as he says, but the light hurts and I can’t help but blink repeatedly.

“My name is Dr. Carlisle Cullen,” the strange man stands up straight and puts his light back in his pocket. “Dr. Cullen?” I squint up at him. He smiles and nods, “Yes.”

“What happened?” I groan, “Where am I?”

“You’re at my house,” that voice. I look up, and in the doorway is the face that I haven’t been able to get out of my head for what seems like the longest time. “Jake?” I tuck my hair behind my ear and try to nonchalantly look down at what I’m wearing. But I cringe at what I see. Great. Workout clothes. That’s attractive. “I found you in the woods last night. You were on the ground, out cold.” Jake says walking into the room, casually past me and over to his dresser. Not once does he look at me. That thought hits me hard in the chest, Why isn’t he looking at me? “Oh,” is all I can say.

Dr. Cullen clears his throat, “Yes. Jake had found you in the woods last night and brought you here. You didn’t have a phone or any identification on you so we couldn’t notify anyone that you were here.” My chest squeezes again. Oh no, Mom! The realization suddenly brings everything back to me. The demon attack. Shopping. Me going for a run. The wolves. But everything after that goes black.

I spring up and try to untangle myself from the blankets, “I have to go.” My feet hit the ground and I push myself up. But I did it again, “Woah…” My vision goes black and I’m falling again. “Scarlet!” I hear Jakes worried voice and feel arms around me. The warmth consumes me and the black fades. I look up and see Jakes fear filled eyes, “Uhhmm…” I don’t know what to say.

“Here,” Dr. Cullen props the pillows into a pile on the bed, “Set her back down.” Without looking away from my eyes, Jake slides his right arm under my legs and picks me up completely, then gingerly places me back down on to his bed. “Scarlet,” Dr. Cullen’s voice pulls my attention from Jake and back to him. “Are you alright?” he asks.

“I don’t know,” I look down at my hands, “Why does that keep happening?”

“Scarlet, you need to listen carefully. You have a severe concussion, among a couple other things. You need to take it easy.” I look up at him horrified.

“I… what?”

“Yes. Jake said that he found you at the bottom of a ledge,” I glance back to Jake, who is suddenly really interested in something on his dresser.

“Judging by the way you’re dressed, I’m guessing you were out for a jog and must’ve lost your footing.” The doctor picks up a stethoscope and drapes it around his neck. “Right… That sounds like what happened…” I look down at my scratched up hands. He kneels down on one knee in front of me. “I’ve given Jake a bottle of pain killers to help you through the body pains. You also sprained your ankle, which is severely swollen. You need to alternate hot and cold compresses, and keep it elevated. Is there someone who can take care of you?” He asks looking at me, expectantly.

No. I think about how I’m supposed to be taking care of my mother, She must be worried. “Yes,” I say not meeting his eyes. He nods and just looks at me for a moment, “Good.” Dr. Cullen grabs a black medical bag beside the bed and stands up. He looks over at Jake, “I’ve done what I can. She probably shouldn’t sleep for more than a couple hours at a time. If she does, she could fall into a coma. Be sure that that doesn’t happen.” Jake just nods in response.

“Take care, Scarlet,” he smiles at me before he turns and leaves. I thank him as the door clicks shut, and then it was quiet.

We sit there in silence for a minute, well I sat while he stood. Jake continued to fiddle with something on his dresser, shifting his weight from foot to foot every few seconds. I look at his back and can’t help but feel my chest swell but ache at the same time. He found me? The thought made my heart skip a beat, but I swallowed the emotions down. Is he just going to stand there? His cold shoulder was beginning to piss me off. “So are you just going to stand there and ignore me?” I ask hating the way I felt. Jake let go of what he was holding and put his hands into his pockets. But nothing was said.

Of course.. I scoffed at his silence, “Taking that as a yes.” Jake turned around, but didn’t look at me. “Right,” I nodded, feeling the ache in my chest get worse. I leaned forward and began moving off the bed. I couldn’t help but grimace with every other move. By the time I reached the end of the bed, I had to stop. I hadn’t noticed before, but I think my ribs are bruised or broken. I closed my eyes and tried to push the pain out of my mind.

“What are you doing?” Jake finally says.

“Oh, he speaks,” I held an arm around my ribs and leaned my weight on my right hand, an attempt at adjusting to the pain. “Funny,” Jake smirked at me. “Thanks,” I sighed.

“You obviously don’t want me here, so I’m going home.”

“I never said I didn’t want you here.”

Now it was my turn to scoff, “Well you don’t seem to excited to have me here.” Silence. I looked up at him, but found that his eyes were on the floor now. “Exactly. So why don’t I just go where I’m actually wanted?” I took a deep breath and pushed myself up off the bed, but I put all my weight on the wrong foot and ended up falling forward, “Damn it.” I braced myself for the impact, but it never came.

Jake’s arms were instantly around me, “Idiot. What are you doing? Didn’t you hear him? You need to rest.” But he sounded too far away. My head was spinning, my entire body ached, but that was nothing compared to the rush of warmth that was flowing through my veins.

I shut my eyes, trying to sift through the storm of emotions. I slowly looked up and found his eyes. Those deep brown eyes… And I’m falling again. Suddenly, I don’t feel as though I need to be anywhere else but here. In his arms. The warmth surged through his arms and into my body. Slowly, the pain grew less intense the longer he held me like that.

And as quickly as it happened, it was over. Jake picked me up and carefully put me back on his bed, “I’ll go get some water for your medicine.” He turns to leave, careful not to make eye contact again. I look down at my lap and squeeze my eyes shut, “Why do you do that?”

Jake stopped.

“You feel it, don’t you?” I feel as though my entire body is vibrating. “Feel what?” Jake asks, still facing the door. “Don’t act dumb. I know you do, I can see it in your eyes every time we touch.” I look up and see that his shoulders are slumped over. Anger begins to boil inside me. “I’ll go get your water,” Jacob opens then promptly shuts the door behind him.

The room starts to vibrate. My head starts to throb. Anger, frustration, confusion, and worst of all, disappointment swirl inside me. I can feel my body vibrate with all the emotions raging inside me. The room shakes harder. I grab the nearest pillow and throw it at the farthest wall as hard as I can.

I want to scream. I want cry. I want to tear this room apart and shred everything in my path. But most of all I want Jake to hold me. And I hate that part most of all.

Deep breaths, Scarlet. Relax. You can’t lose control, especially not here. I take several deep breaths and center myself. By the time I’ve managed to calm down, I can Jake’s footsteps. I push myself back into a sitting position and lower my legs to the ground. The pains coming back.

Jake comes back and hands me two pills with a glass of water. I look at them warily but just take the glass of water, leaving the pills in his hand. I do my best to avoid looking at even his hand, “Take the pills.” I shake my head, “I’m fine.”

Jake sighs and sits down on the farthest part of the bed, “Please.” His tone is completely different now. It’s gentle, almost pleading. Now I can’t help but look at him. Jake is looking at me with his soft eyes, He looks like a small child. Almost like a puppy… I reach down and take the pills from his hand, but gasp as our skin connect:

I’m standing in the woods. It’s dark out and I’m yelling at someone. I scream as an Energy ball is hurled at me. I try to deflect it using my powers but nothing happens. I’m a sitting duck. But just as it’s about to hit me, the large reddish brown wolf jumps up in front of me. The energy ball hits it and it’s knocked into me, hard.

I try to exhale, but I feel as though all the air in my lungs have been knocked out of me again. I struggle to catch my breath and realize that Jake is doing the same thing. I look up and he’s staring at me. No, he’s gaping at me. But there’s something else in his eyes, Is that fear? “What just happened?” he asks me. I pull my hand away and quickly toss the pills in my mouth, “Sorry. Sometimes I build up static electricity.” I lied and start chugging down my glass of water.

“That was more than a shock. What did I just see?”

I choke on my drink, “What?”

“You’re not human, are you?” I was speechless. Did he just see my premonition?
♠ ♠ ♠
Thank you so much for reading guys! I appreciate everyone who has supported this story and subscribed. If you haven't already done so, please subscribe, it lets me know that I'm doing something right.

I haven't gotten any comments lately and would really love it if someone dropped some love! I always enjoy hearing from you.

Thanks again!